Did I really see that?

Indeed. That seam is a *****!

--
[email protected]
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element.

> Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > having ridden in bluejeans, I have to say that the pain that these cause after a while in the
> > saddle limits range. If i'm wearing jeans and on a bicycle, then I'm on a quick ride to the
> > store or the library or whatever.
>
> I think this depends on the person, or perhaps on the jeans. I've gone on 20 mile and longer rides
> in blue jeans and it's never been a problem for me.

A seat with a cutout in the middle makes a huge difference here.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the newsgroups if possible).

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:06:30 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:
>Otherwise, PicAssO forRestOfLifeO. Only other option would be operacion majorca with a sizzling
>Hyfrecator,

Put your dentures back in. Your words are coming out as gibberish.
--
Rick Onanian

wrote:

>But the fact remains that for round trip distances of 6-10 miles or more, one has to wear attire
>that best interfaces the human body with the vehicle. With bicycles, that means chamoised shorts,
>no cotton, and no copper jeans rivets.

For 6-10 miles? I would agree that blue jeans won't work, but a whole lot of other non-cycling
clothes will, shoes excepted (and that's personal preference). Make it over, say 40 miles, and that
in a moderately continuous mode and I'll agree that cycling specific clothing makes a difference.

And if you ride a recumbent, it is even less of a difference and a wider range of 'normal' clothing
works perfectly well. The Trek 1200 is a more finicky ride in that regard (starting with, I don't
think I could get my butt onto the seat in bluejeans).

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:06:30 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>
>>But the fact remains that for round trip distances of 6-10 miles or more, one has to wear attire
>>that best interfaces the human body with the vehicle. With bicycles, that means chamoised shorts,
>>no cotton, and no copper jeans rivets.
>
> For 6-10 miles? I would agree that blue jeans won't work, but a whole lot of other non-cycling
> clothes will, shoes excepted (and that's personal preference). Make it over, say 40 miles, and
> that in a moderately continuous mode and I'll agree that cycling specific clothing makes a
> difference.
>
> And if you ride a recumbent, it is even less of a difference and a wider range of 'normal'
> clothing works perfectly well. The Trek 1200 is a more finicky ride in that regard (starting with,
> I don't think I could get my butt onto the seat in bluejeans).

My typical summer riding attire is T-shirt, jeans (long or short) and Tevas.

This gets me comfortably through my 22-40 mile round trip commute, to travels across the country. I
find it very difficult to believe someone would feel specialized riding attire a requirement for a
distance of only 6-10 miles.

Of course it is all what you get used to. Your body will adjust to thinking virtually anything is
normal and comfortable if you give it enough time. But I think the need for "proper" bicyclewear is
driven by someone's sense of style above anything else. (The "Fab Factor"?).

Yes a riding jersey of light polartec (early spring) with a high zip collar, slightly longer length
in the rear, and a pocket at the back is clearly a great design for bicycling, but hardly a real
requirement for comfort. Same goes for jeans vs. lycra.

SMH

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:26:32 -0500, Stephen Harding
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Of course it is all what you get used to. Your body will adjust to thinking virtually anything is
>normal and comfortable if you give it enough time. But I think the need for "proper" bicyclewear is
>driven by someone's sense of style above anything else. (The "Fab Factor"?).

You have a perineum of steel!

Jeans are fine for trips around town, when you're on and off the saddle a lot anyway for stoplights,
stop signs, heavy traffic, errands, etc.

Extended distances in 'street' clothes for me means better trousers, with less irritating seams in
'difficult' places.

I'm not very Fab-ulous, but I do appreciate a pair of bike shorts. I don't wear jerseys, as I can't
see why I should shell out for them over the stuff I already have.

-Luigi

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote

> Jeans are fine for trips around town, when you're on and off the saddle a lot anyway for
> stoplights, stop signs, heavy traffic, errands, etc.
>
> Extended distances in 'street' clothes for me means better trousers, with less irritating seams in
> 'difficult' places.

Yeah, I have a pair of "warm-ups", black, side zippers, stretch fabric, elastic waist. They look
pretty much like a cross between regular & sweat pants. They're fine for errands, I can wear them
with shorts under for long rides, or with just briefs for short ones.

> I'm not very Fab-ulous, but I do appreciate a pair of bike shorts. I don't wear jerseys, as I
> can't see why I should shell out for them over the stuff I already have.

I've pretty much stopped wearing jerseys (too bad, as I have a drawer full). I find t-shirts to be
much more comfortable, in hot weather especially. I do prefer the synthetic ones, though. Price-
wise, they're about the same as cotton anyway. Cotton works if you can keep your sweat under some
threshold -- I usually can't.

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:03:37 GMT, "Peter Cole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Jeans are fine for trips around town, when you're on and off the saddle a lot anyway for
>> stoplights, stop signs, heavy traffic, errands, etc.
>>
>> Extended distances in 'street' clothes for me means better trousers, with less irritating seams
>> in 'difficult' places.
>
>Yeah, I have a pair of "warm-ups", black, side zippers, stretch fabric, elastic waist. They look
>pretty much like a cross between regular & sweat pants. They're fine for errands, I can wear them
>with shorts under for long rides, or with just briefs for short ones.

I find I can do very well in khakis, provided I take care not to foul them on the chainrings. Also,
in early spring and autumn, my light woolen trousers to admirably well.

In fact, it's easier to cycle on nearly anything I can wear to church than in bluejeans.

>> I'm not very Fab-ulous, but I do appreciate a pair of bike shorts. I don't wear jerseys, as I
>> can't see why I should shell out for them over the stuff I already have.
>
>I've pretty much stopped wearing jerseys (too bad, as I have a drawer full). I find t-shirts to be
>much more comfortable, in hot weather especially. I do prefer the synthetic ones, though. Price-
>wise, they're about the same as cotton anyway. Cotton works if you can keep your sweat under some
>threshold -- I usually can't.

It isn't too bad in the heat of the summertime. If you get a cold afternoon breeze though, cotton
can be chilly.

-Luigi sartor resartus?

>Tom Keats at [email protected] wrote> <snip>> But the
>fact remains that for round trip distances of 6-10 miles or
>more, one has to wear attire that best interfaces the human
>body with the vehicle. With bicycles, that means chamoised
>shorts, no cotton, and no copper jeans rivets.<snip>

With diamond frame bikes with traditional saddle seats
...chamois shorts are needed. As some of us ride recumbent
bikes, cross-country ski-clothes in winter and breathable
sports clothes in summer can be adequate.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:00:20 -0500, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Tom Keats at [email protected] wrote> <snip>> But the
>>fact remains that for round trip distances of 6-10 miles
>>or more, one has to wear attire that best interfaces the
>>human body with the vehicle. With bicycles, that means
>>chamoised shorts, no cotton, and no copper jeans
>>rivets.<snip>
>
>With diamond frame bikes with traditional saddle seats
>...chamois shorts are needed.

*not* for short trips covering short distances with many
stops. If I had to get my goofy clothes on every time I
wanted to throw my leg over a top tube and ride to the
library or the cornershop then the whole idea of cycling-as-
transport is ludicrous.

-Luigi

>As some of us ride recumbent bikes, cross-country ski-
>clothes in winter and breathable sports clothes in summer
>can be adequate.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:16:29 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>><snip>> But the fact remains that for round trip
>>>distances of 6-10 miles or more, one has to wear attire
>>>that best interfaces the human body with the vehicle.
>>>With bicycles, that means chamoised shorts, no cotton,
>>>and no copper jeans rivets.<snip>
>>
>>With diamond frame bikes with traditional saddle seats
>>...chamois shorts are needed.
>
>*not* for short trips covering short distances with many
>stops. If I had to get my goofy clothes on every time I
>wanted to throw my leg over a top tube and ride to the
>library or the cornershop then the whole idea of cycling-as-
>transport is ludicrous.

Hell, I commute 15 miles each day year round and often do
15-20 mile rides and I don't own any cycling-specific
clothes at all. Then again, I ride a FS MTB with knobby
tires, not a road bike.