Did magnesium break pads ruin my rear wheel?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zaf, May 12, 2003.

  1. Zaf

    Zaf Guest

    Seems like on my MTB I have worn through the wall of my REAR wheel with my breaks. I've heard of
    this happening, but this wheel only has ~3000 miles of fireroads on it. Oddly enough the front rim
    seems fine. I recall putting a set of break pads claiming to have Magnesium in them for long life.
    My first set of Aavid pads only lasted ~500 miles and it is true I have ~2500 on these and there is
    still a bit left. Is is possible the abrasive pads are what contributed to the wheels demise?

    I also found it a coincidence that the location where the rim wall buckled was exactly at the
    (presta) drill out.....

    Tags:

  2. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    That sound like it would do the trick .I would rather wear out brake pads every 2 months that a rim
    .I was using ceramic pads for a while but they where the rim faster too.Even with ceramic rim .

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!

  3. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    Zaf wrote:

    >Seems like on my MTB I have worn through the wall of my REAR wheel with my breaks. I've heard of
    >this happening, but this wheel only has ~3000 miles of fireroads on it. Oddly enough the front rim
    >seems fine. I recall putting a set of break pads claiming to have Magnesium in them for long life.
    >My first set of Aavid pads only lasted ~500 miles and it is true I have ~2500 on these and there is
    >still a bit left. Is is possible the abrasive pads are what contributed to the wheels demise?
    >

    >I also found it a coincidence that the location where the rim wall buckled was exactly at the
    >(presta) drill out.....

    Are you sure it was worn out, or could have just possibly been impact damage? Did you put the
    magnesium pads on just the rear, or on both wheels? I don't know what your pads are like but I do
    know that bad pads can eat up a rim quickly. I had some bad shimano pads that might as well have
    been 40-grit sandpaper in the rain (and afterwards). KoolStop pads with the "salmon-colored" rubber
    compound are widely praised on this group. I changed to those and was pleased with the results. They
    resist embedding grit, brake well, and are durable.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#salmon

  4. Zaf

    Zaf Guest

    No, there was no evidence of damage to the rim by impact and the wall was indeed thinned. I switched
    the front to these same pads at the same time, but that rim seems OK. THis does not make sense
    because most stopping power comes from the front.

    Oddly enough, from an economic viewpoint, the Magnesium pads look like they will be good for 5000
    miles and the net cost in wheels can be mad eup with savings in pads.

    5000 miles with Magnesium pad comsumables: $200 1 set of pads @ $20 + 2 LX/Mavic 221 [email protected] $90

    5000 miles with the 500 mile pads I had on: $200 10 Sets of pads @ $20

    Of corse, the front wheel is probably more worn then I think and will be going any day now.

  5. "bignose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Mag would almost certainly not be used as a brake pad filler. The

    I use a sanding block in place of my brake pads. Stops the bike on a dime.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training