did my 1st race today

My first race of the season, the average pace was 30.2 mph in the pack, and thats Cat 5, and no my computers not messed up. It was CRAZY.

That is crazy - it equals 48.3 kph. That's as fast as the pro's average in the big races in europe. An average of 30.2 kph for a Cat.5 group is pretty good, if it was mph I don't believe it unless there was a big tailwind and some very fast downhills and no climbs. Even world class cat 1 riders would struggle to maintain that sort of pace.

yea, sounds like bs doesnt it. I assure its not, it was a totally flat course, and I can only vouch for the first 15 min out of 30 because with that kind of pace i got droped out the back. I had my second race today, and the pace average was only 24, I did way better. The reason the pace was so high in the first one, and I found out this later, some fat guy in the front kicked it up for 10 min and then quit. What an ass. Anyway, good job on your 3rd place.

Originally posted by Rompinrhino
yea, sounds like bs doesnt it. I assure its not, it was a totally flat course, and I can only vouch for the first 15 min out of 30 because with that kind of pace i got droped out the back. I had my second race today, and the pace average was only 24, I did way better. The reason the pace was so high in the first one, and I found out this later, some fat guy in the front kicked it up for 10 min and then quit. What an ass. Anyway, good job on your 3rd place.

You guys are pretty quick. I think I'd get spat out the back pretty quick in your races. Just like yesterday. We had a mass start, all the Cat 1 riders got to the front pretty early and the pace was really on. I got dropped at the first climb about 5 km into the 38 km race. Oh well, the scenery was nice, but it's no fun grinding away for most of the race just for the sake of finishing. I find if I don't get my couple of good training rides in during the week, my weekend form is hopeless. The sacrifices of family, work and other sporting activities:confused:

Originally posted by Spider1977
You guys are pretty quick. I think I'd get spat out the back pretty quick in your races. Just like yesterday. We had a mass start, all the Cat 1 riders got to the front pretty early and the pace was really on. I got dropped at the first climb about 5 km into the 38 km race. Oh well, the scenery was nice, but it's no fun grinding away for most of the race just for the sake of finishing. I find if I don't get my couple of good training rides in during the week, my weekend form is hopeless. The sacrifices of family, work and other sporting activities:confused:

I'm right there with you Spider. I use to be a contender, now I'm a Daddy with a lawn that needs mowing and a job that asks too much. I feel lucky to get out two or three times a week. Thats if the weather holds and the Sun & Stars are all in cosmic alignment. I do plan on at least doing some of the local tours this summer, just to get the feel of a pack around me. I'm not sure yelling "hold your line" at old ladys will feel as good as it used to, we'll just have to see...

C'Rider

Originally posted by Rompinrhino
:eek: Where's the oogleyes emoticon. My first race of the season, the average pace was 30.2 mph in the pack, and thats Cat 5, and no my computers not messed up. It was CRAZY.

texastrack04 Check your thread man, I answered I think all you need to know and much much more.

well since then i have done a few more, it was slow because no one wanted to work and it was a small group of 5 of us on the break.
( i have learned so much since then)
tomorrow theres a race speeds avg 27+ mph it's 58 miles, all i wanna do is finish it under 2:20 min.

Rompinrhino said:
:eek: Where's the oogleyes emoticon. My first race of the season, the average pace was 30.2 mph in the pack, and thats Cat 5, and no my computers not messed up. It was CRAZY.
So what was the tail wind like ? ;-)