did my first 30 mile ride yesterday

izatt82

Mar 19, 2007
i wasn't for sure how i would do but i wanted to change it up a bit from 2x20s so i figured ahh what the heck i'll ride the whole trail. which is 30 miles round trip felt pretty good im suprised towards the end i could tell my butt didnt like it so much but not bad.
i felt good through got in to a grove and i was about 145bpm range almost the whole time had it in 20th gear out of 24 just felt good no real burn just alittle at times but not bad i finished it in 2hrs 13min so i have something to go off of now something to try and improve on while staying around the samr HR. i was very suprised i just felt like i could keep going right at that pace so im happy and will go back to my 2x20s i think i might go to 3x15s or 3x20s sometimes depending on how much time i have. finally nice weather that i can ride consistantly and make some good progress with my fitness and training . so far so good with how little i have been able to ride but oh well it time now .

thanks for every bodys help with training and anything else
chris

izatt82 said:
i wasn't for sure how i would do but i wanted to change it up a bit from 2x20s so i figured ahh what the heck i'll ride the whole trail. which is 30 miles round trip felt pretty good im suprised towards the end i could tell my butt didnt like it so much but not bad.
i felt good through got in to a grove and i was about 145bpm range almost the whole time had it in 20th gear out of 24 just felt good no real burn just alittle at times but not bad i finished it in 2hrs 13min so i have something to go off of now something to try and improve on while staying around the samr HR. i was very suprised i just felt like i could keep going right at that pace so im happy and will go back to my 2x20s i think i might go to 3x15s or 3x20s sometimes depending on how much time i have. finally nice weather that i can ride consistantly and make some good progress with my fitness and training . so far so good with how little i have been able to ride but oh well it time now .

thanks for every bodys help with training and anything else
chris

Time to shoot plan for a 50, now. The butt will hurt less as your gluteus maximii become more toned, unless of course your seat is all wrong for you, in which case it probably won't get better. Good work.

yeah sounds like a good deal. i think the butt thing is just mostly i need to get miles on it . it gets better every time i ride. and i havn't been riding for that long so we'll just have to see. yeah i just tried to stay aerobic the whole time and enjoy the ride. plus it was my first 30mile ride so i didn;t know how the legs would like it. but it worked out good

FWIW: I went through four saddles before I found one that really worked well for me. It was pricey (Fizik Aliante), but worth every penny. Some gave me a sore butt, some gave me that nasty squishy feeling. The Aliante was just right - and large enough that I could move around on it without discomfort.

When I got back on the bike a few years ago, I worked up to a 30 miler, got through it okay. Then, I went out the next day and did another one. I was surprised at the difference - did quite a bit better the next time around. You might try that one weekend, do back to back 30 milers over the same route, and compare average times. You might be pleasantly surprised.

One thing I love about cycling - seeing the improvement. If I'm getting stronger, I'm not dying.

Congrats on doing 30! Just keep riding, everyones butt is sore when they first get on a bike. I remember the first time I did a 40 mile ride; 20 miles of climbing on the way out, and 20 miles of descending on the way back. My butt hurt for a full week.

Just have fun! Last long day I had was about 7 hours in the saddle, no soreness or pain in the butt at all. It gets easier every day.

true yeah it has got better since i started. i only have 100 miles on the bike so far and 9 rides since i got into cycling. i am happy with my progress so far and i just feel better on the bike. it feels like my latic has gone up a good amount since i started and i really feel my aerobic just gets better every time i ride. i think i might do one more 30 mile ride. and then setup a 50 mile or something close to that. i really dont think it will be that hard i felt good but the wind was light so im sure that could make a big differance after 30 miles. i hope to do another 30 farely soon and hope to improve my time but keep my BPM about the same as last time about the 145 mark but we'll see.