Did my first race in 5 years today....

Bailsibub

Jun 7, 2007
Today was the beginning of a comeback to racing.

I did a short road race. It was 21 miles. (Foreign country that's new to cycling so no one has told them that road races are longer!)

Anyway, it started with a 600-ft. climb. It was raining, and the hill was so steep, my back wheel was spinning. But I made it to the top with the lead group (about 6 of us).

I didn't really know the course, so I didn't know what to expect. I thought there was only one other hill of about the same distance. But after a short descent, we hit a climb that wasn't as steep, but boy was it long. That's when those who knew the course hit the gas. I thought it was short so I went with them, only to blow up. At that point I was feeling completely done! I had forgotten just how painful a bike race can be.

I had to settle into my own pace (39X23 and I was out of the saddle a lot). After climbing for 20 minutes, I got to the top alone. There was a rider about 30 seconds ahead, them about 8 guys or so in front of him.

I took the descent conservatively but still caught the guy ahead. I didn't crash, but then 4 guys from behind bridged up. Now I kind of regret taking it so easy.

The race was relatively flat after that. So they pulled a little here and there. Then I started taking long pulls, going about 26, hoping that we could catch some lone riders ahead. Did the elbow signal, no pull through. Sat up, they sat up.

Out of frustration, I got in the back, then attacked. I was going 29-30. They got strung out, one got dropped, but they worked together and bridged the gap after a minute or 2. No counter attacks. We rode a mile or so, real slow. I got in the back, and went again! Same speed, same thing. They worked together and bridged. These guys just weren't letting me get away. I did it two more times, and nothing worked. I think the last attack was about 5 miles out.

I knew I didn't have a chance at that point. It's frustrating knowing you are stronger than each one, but not the whole group. Then I was just hoping one of them would start thinking of his own finishing spot and not mine. But it didn't happen. They were more than happy to have me in their slow group. And the sprint was the only thing left.

One guy was built like a sprinter, and he accelerated at 500 meters. I was thinking 'thanks for the gift dude' and got his wheel. Well, the organizers decided to put the sprint about 100 meters after a nasty turn that went over a bridge. It was at that weird angle where your tires can catch an edge. Well, sprinter guy didn't even make it to the edge. He saw the turn, locked up his brakes, sending him to the pavement. I braked, but smoothly, running right into him. One other guy went down, but I was able to get going again, top ten finish.

So no injuries, and my bike is fine. The other guys are alright too, aside from some torn up bib shorts (with a new "racing stripe" perhaps). I'm glad I survived.

I thought I would have done better. I really thought my high end was there when it wasn't. I haven't raced in a long time, only training, but it just seemed like I was going way harder than I can in training. That's one thing I forgot about racing.

Strumpetto said:
There is never that kind of excitement in MTB racing. :mad:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. And Strumpetto, I raced mountain bikes for years, and I could definitely tell you some stories!

Anyway, a friend sent me a picture from the race on Sunday. It was taken right after we all went down in the turn behind us. That's me on the left, and we are sprinting for the finish.

SprintingatKimcheon.jpg