Did my very first group ride today

Jun 27, 2005
East Wareham MA
Rode tonight with a group that meets at Beverly Cycles on the north shore of MA, 18.21 miles in 1:09 - average speed 15.5 mph.

Two riders were feeling a bit competitive and broke away from the remaining three of us...

Forgive me, but why would someone with over 1,000 posts and mod status in these parts just now be doing a first group ride?
More importantly, was it fun?

Congrats, Cyber!
Your innocence/ignorance is now gone. Your virginity is no more. I could use more eloquent and descriptive references, but I'll keep this G-rated.:D

You know you're on the slippery slope to becoming a full-fledged, card-carrying road racer, right? Were there any sprints for town lines or such during your ride?

How were your hand signals? Those of your companions? Make every attempt to not being that guy - he's the guy that runs into the back of his compatriots at the stoplight he failed to notice because his eyes were glued to the wheel just in front of him. I was that guy on probably my 3rd group ride ever, and it was my first ride with my current club - what a way to make a first impression. LOL!

I wasn't into cycling back then obviously when with the Pats, but as I recall that Malden/Beverly/Somerville/Lynn/Saugus area, I don't remember it being too cyclist friendly. Things have changed for the better I take it? I recall there being wide shoulders on the highways though. There'd be no way in hades that I'd get involved with one of those round-abouts on a bicycle - that's for sure...

taricha said:
Forgive me, but why would someone with over 1,000 posts and mod status in these parts just now be doing a first group ride?

He's is a long time member, of good character and has quite a lot of experience running communities.

taricha said:
Yes, it was quite fun.
As for this being my first group ride, that's because I only recently made the transition from MTB to the open road.

tonyzackery said:
Congrats, Cyber!
Your innocence/ignorance is now gone. Your virginity is no more. I could use more eloquent and descriptive references, but I'll keep this G-rated.:D
Thanks Tony. Yes, I tweeted that I am no longer a group ride virgin... :D

tonyzackery said:
You know you're on the slippery slope to becoming a full-fledged, card-carrying road racer, right? Were there any sprints for town lines or such during your ride?
There were a few sprints by the two strongest riders, not for the town lines though, purely random. As far as racing is concerned, I might consider doing some time trials somewhere down the road, but I have a long way to go before I consider myself crit material. I'll be the first to admit I'm a lousy climber...

tonyzackery said:
How were your hand signals? Those of your companions? Make every attempt to not being that guy - he's the guy that runs into the back of his compatriots at the stoplight he failed to notice because his eyes were glued to the wheel just in front of him. I was that guy on probably my 3rd group ride ever, and it was my first ride with my current club - what a way to make a first impression. LOL!
My hand signals were just fine and dandy, I learned without being taught about warning others about potholes and sewer grates, I figured it out on my own when I saw someone waving to the right and going around them.

tonyzackery said:
I wasn't into cycling back then obviously when with the Pats, but as I recall that Malden/Beverly/Somerville/Lynn/Saugus area, I don't remember it being too cyclist friendly. Things have changed for the better I take it? I recall there being wide shoulders on the highways though. There'd be no way in hades that I'd get involved with one of those round-abouts on a bicycle - that's for sure...
It seems that things have definitely changed for the better, on the route we took the traffic was very light. I'll tell you, until that afternoon I practically forgot what the aroma of farm land was like...

We didn't go around any 'rotisseries' (as someone I used to work with years ago used to call them :D ), it was a nice loop from Beverly, through Wenham, Ipswich, and parts of Essex and Hamilton.

cyberlegend1994 said:
Rode tonight with a group that meets at Beverly Cycles on the north shore of MA, 18.21 miles in 1:09 - average speed 15.5 mph.

Two riders were feeling a bit competitive and broke away from the remaining three of us...

Good stuff Cyber !

I was off the 'dot-com' grid for a while, but riding everyday. Let me know if or when you plan on being in the northshore. I do regular weekday 25-milers with the NSCYC once or twice a week, and solo 3-4 times/week. Usually around Topsfield/Boxford or Beverly/Gloucester.

gman0482 said:
Good stuff Cyber !

I was off the 'dot-com' grid for a while, but riding everyday. Let me know if or when you plan on being in the northshore. I do regular weekday 25-milers with the NSCYC once or twice a week, and solo 3-4 times/week. Usually around Topsfield/Boxford or Beverly/Gloucester.
Will do. Beverly Cycles has afternoon/evening group rides every Monday and Wednesday. Not sure how soon I'll be back doing any work on the north shore, usually only 4 times a year but every now & then I'll get a service call up that area, my next scheduled trip up that way won't be until July, up in the Witch City.

Good for you, Cyber! :cool:

Be extra careful when you're riding in groups...it's easy to get jammed up.