Did Ullrich retire because nothing changed?

NJK said:
Kloden doped, that is a scandulous statement. He has never failed a test and in the magazines he says he has never used PED's.
Never failed a test ok but he is a rider :rolleyes: and was never cited as potentialy a clean rider like a few others!

NJK said:
Kloden doped, that is a scandulous statement. He has never failed a test and in the magazines he says he has never used PED's.
You cant beleive what they write in magazines. however I do believe innocent until proven guilty

Given that the UCI never wanted to actually tackle the doping issue in the aftermath of Festina, and given the UCI's indulgence of high profile riders doping since Festina, it would be no suprise to me, knowing what we now know today, that teams/sponsors may have retained a doping program.

The UCI set the background music.
They said that there was "strict anti-doping" policies in place in 1999 - and look what happened.

The UCI objected to WADA - and said that there was no doping in cycling in 2004 - and look at what happened.

Knowing what we now know - despite the UCI's utterances that doping is prohibited and that they "test participants like no other sporting federation" -
I would not be surprised that teams may have retained doping programs.

Teams appear to have retained doping programs despite the 1999 and 2004
UCI statements about anti-doping crisis : I suspect that the same can be applied post-Puerto.

In that context, if Ullrich did say that nothing changed - he's 100% correct.

limerickman said:
Given that the UCI never wanted to actually tackle the doping issue in the aftermath of Festina, and given the UCI's indulgence of high profile riders doping since Festina, it would be no suprise to me, knowing what we now know today, that teams/sponsors may have retained a doping program.

The UCI set the background music.
They said that there was "strict anti-doping" policies in place in 1999 - and look what happened.

The UCI objected to WADA - and said that there was no doping in cycling in 2004 - and look at what happened.

Knowing what we now know - despite the UCI's utterances that doping is prohibited and that they "test participants like no other sporting federation" -
I would not be surprised that teams may have retained doping programs.

Teams appear to have retained doping programs despite the 1999 and 2004
UCI statements about anti-doping crisis : I suspect that the same can be applied post-Puerto.

Of course the UCI knew. Everyone did, including fans. Cycling is enertainment, and the powers that be know this. As we watch the sport being gutted , we see the sport walking a dangerous line.
If the organizers and the UCI do not get on the same page soon, no matter the page is, then we will see the sport lose even more of it's fan base. I have been a lifelong fan, and yet I am on the edge of total loss of interest with the racing itself. I hope it gets back on course. If Zabel would not have been allowed to ride in Germany at the World's, I would have had my fill.
Let the sport get back to watching Hincapie crash and Boonen throwing his arms in the air in victory.......

limerickman said:
But do you think he was contemplating changing his ways and riding clean? That after his training camp he realised there was no point in trying as everyone was still using the same old products?

Rolfrae said:
But do you think he was contemplating changing his ways and riding clean? That after his training camp he realised there was no point in trying as everyone was still using the same old products?
I do think that he was changing his ways. But its just an opinion...

Rolfrae said:

I don't know.

What I would say is that if JU or any other rider accepts what the UCI says at face value, then they're naive at best.
The UCI is expedient - it will use and then consume whoever it deems to be expendable.
Especially the riders.
The UCI shafted the sports and it's supporters by allowing doping to proliferate after Festina.
And everything throughout the sport, concerning doping and race results, we have seen since has been a product of that expendience.

limerickman said:
I don't know.

What I would say is that if JU or any other rider accepts what the UCI says at face value, then they're naive at best.
The UCI is expedient - it will use and then consume whoever it deems to be expendable.
Especially the riders.
The UCI shafted the sports and it's supporters by allowing doping to proliferate after Festina.
And everything throughout the sport, concerning doping and race results, we have seen since has been a product of that expendience.
I have to agree with you on this. The races are nothing without the talent and JU was one of the greatest talents we'll ever see. I guess I like the idea of him riding one last tour totally clean and showing the world exactly how good he is (was). Maybe CH can get in touch and sugegst a credible comeback. :D

Rolfrae said:
I have to agree with you on this. The races are nothing without the talent and JU was one of the greatest talents we'll ever see. I guess I like the idea of him riding one last tour totally clean and showing the world exactly how good he is (was). Maybe CH can get in touch and sugegst a credible comeback. :D
Funny... it crossed my mind yesterday... But I don't believe I have a lot of influence.

cyclingheroes said:
Funny... it crossed my mind yesterday... But I don't believe I have a lot of influence.
There's still time! Can you imagine the publicity for any potential sponsor and the Tour itself, if he held a press conference tomorrow, admitted all, and announced his intention to ride the next tour for the win, totally clean. It would be THE sporting story of the year, and ironically it would ensure he could retire with an unblemished reputation....back to dreaming.

limerickman said:
I don't know.

Especially the riders.
thing is, if Jan rid himself of the support crew, it would have required loads of ambition, to seek out his own network, a new supply system. Remember the guy had flunkies do all this for him since the Rostock sports school.

So, he may have been naive to attempt to ride clean, because there was a deterrent in seeking out new docs, new enablers, facilitators and black market mules to ferry him the 80 grand worth of dope.

He may not have wanted to, and thought, he had the talent to meet some performance benchmark when the peloton was without Armstrong and some Spaniards, and potentially Basso.

Who knows.

Naive to think he has ever been clean since graduating to the Rostock sports school.

Not to denegrate the guy.

If what we said to me is correct, after 2006 problem, ASO wanted to have a clean TDF in 2007, and warned that they needed to change. Teams agreed to do this... maybe it's what was hoping Jan despite his own affair.

For me there is no doubt that Jan was on PED since his pro career... and he was certainly a freak man.
His come-back would be a great idea, even if I doubt seriously that he could win even on a clean field now. But his undoped participation would put more pressure on doped riders...
There is matter for an extraordinary communication and for sponsor...

thunder said:
Naive to think he has ever been clean since graduating to the Rostock sports school.
I agree, and would extend it to most likely every rider of note since the early 90s. It's been requisite doping full-stop since Ferrari showed the way to everyone with Gewiss. When EPO use became less effective/tenuous with the hct rule and test, the smart ones with resources were on to transfusions. Postal showed what you could do with a the strongest rider and his whole team getting topped off.

cyclingheroes said:
I do think that he was changing his ways. But its just an opinion...

It's a nice thought, although we've been proven wrong a lot of times over the last few years when we've thought the best of professional cyclists... Ullrich is still maybe my favourite ever rider, but I struggle to see how he could possibly have thought that things were really going to suddenly change given the experiences that he had known.

btw, CH your translations from German to English are brilliant - but as I'm sure you know bekommen => receive (not become)

cyclingheroes said:

If you don't ask, how do you know?

I would offer that as a serious question because the sports is in serious trouble
(and from what I'm hearing there is another major sponsor looking to get out
of the sport because of doping).

I'm sure JU has a lot more to be doing with his life than trying to rescue the fate of this sport.

rob of the og said:
It's a nice thought, although we've been proven wrong a lot of times over the last few years when we've thought the best of professional cyclists... Ullrich is still maybe my favourite ever rider, but I struggle to see how he could possibly have thought that things were really going to suddenly change given the experiences that he had known.

btw, CH your translations from German to English are brilliant - but as I'm sure you know bekommen => receive (not become)
Upps yes I did know that... I was pretty tired (and I still am) as I finished the story at 2 o' clock in the morning...

poulidor said:
Never failed a test ok but he is a rider :rolleyes: and was never cited as potentialy a clean rider like a few others!
I was being sarcastic, i was just seeing who would bite or defend him.

limerickman said:
If you don't ask, how do you know?

I would offer that as a serious question because the sports is in serious trouble
(and from what I'm hearing there is another major sponsor looking to get out
of the sport because of doping).

I'm sure JU has a lot more to be doing with his life than trying to rescue the fate of this sport.

He loves cycling, but he is staying busy.It's not the sport he hates,just some of it's personalities.

jhuskey said:
He loves cycling, but he is staying busy.It's not the sport he hates,just some of it's personalities.
Who? The nice, honest and friendly people that run the sport? :D

cyclingheroes said:
Who? The nice, honest and friendly people that run the sport? :D

I hate to nit-pick but the proper spelling is ruin not run. :D