Did Ullrich retire because nothing changed?

wolfix said:
But most doping programs originated in the world today are from the E german programs. [Soviet too] After the fall of the wall, doping increased in sports as the designers of these programs spread thru the world. Think of a East german cyclist and tell me of a good one that did not dope........ JU is not the best cyclist E Germany produced. His results pale in comparision to the sprinters of the 70's/80's.
The US program of doping exploded when we got a coach from Poland who knew of these ways.
It was the E germans[soviets included] who was the first to use blood doping ........That was the 70's....... The US did not use it until 83-84. Steroid use was used by the behind the wall countries years before it was used throughout sports. I met several Olympic wrestlers from that area who who so pumped up in the early 70's we couldn't believe it.

several years ago Heidi Krieger, a former East German athlete opened up......

And when comparing the US doping to Europes...This is the big distinction........ The E Germany athletes were forced to dope. The sporting acheivments in E Germany was based in the doping culture. That did not occur in America till at least 10 years later after the wall came down.
Dr. Joseph Keul did research at the.. university of Freiburg .. steroids... in the early 70ties. First doped golden medal winner from Freiburg was in 1952 (Olympics, Helsinki). It wasn't only the east who had state funded doping programms. The West-Germans had it as well, the Freiburg university is a public university.

Jan was forced out of T-Mobile partly because he had too much influence over the team as a whole.
Team manager don't like this.
Now if he had owned the team and had the same influence he might still be racing or retired on his own.
Sound familiar?

Bro Deal said:
Wow. An apartment and a Lada. That's a lot better than millions in endorsement money. I'm surprised we did not have mass defections of athletes to the Eastern block. :rolleyes:
A limited knowledge bro deal.......... If you never had anything in life and lived your sporting lfe in a dormitory, a apartment and a car would seem as nice as millions in endorsements......

but answer me this......... which American athlete recieved millions in endorsements from just the Olympic games?????

I can't think of any except maybe a few track & field members.ASnd i doubt if it was millions. . No US cyclist ever recieved much of anything from the Olympics. The 1976 squad which george Mount took sixth, the individual members team actually had to provide their own equipment and tires.
The Germans/ Russians in the Olympics had such poor equipment several federations donated stuff to fix up their Colnago's......

So yeah ....... a aprtment and a car would seem like a hell of an incentive.

jhuskey said:
Jan was forced out of T-Mobile partly because he had too much influence over the team as a whole.
Now if he had owned the team and had the same influence he might still be racing or retired on his own.
Sound familiar?
Poor old Jan was hung out to dry by T-Mobile....... so everyone including team management knew of the doping that went on and in most cases orchestrated it and turned a blind to it even after OP had surfaced and after Jan's dismissal. No wonder all the riders were ****** at the team for booting him out........ Jan to his credit has kept his mouth shut to protect all those involved..... he could bring them all down but has chosen not to..... Jan is still the man even in retirement... now that other bloke you reference he's just plain weird – is he not shagging 16 year olds now ? Full House indeed !

whiteboytrash said:
Poor old Jan was hung out to dry by T-Mobile....... so everyone including team management knew of the doping that went on and in most cases orchestrated it and turned a blind to it even after OP had surfaced and after Jan's dismissal. No wonder all the riders were ****** at the team for booting him out........ Jan to his credit has kept his mouth shut to protect all those involved..... he could bring them all down but has chosen not to..... Jan is still the man even in retirement... now that other bloke you reference he's just plain weird – is he not shagging 16 year olds now ? Full House indeed !
Did Goodefroot not like Jan cos he wouldn't always participate in systematic team doping ?

whiteboytrash said:
Did Goodefroot not like Jan cos he wouldn't always participate in systematic team doping ?
probably those that ran the team were ****** he could not beat Armstrong.

Armstrong wanted to win. Put them on the same doping program, and the same will to win, same training and let us see. Better yet, have them both clean.

But hats off to Armstrong he put his game on another level. It was not enough to be prodigiously talented and have a good doping program. You needed a great program, great dedication and and great discipline. The only thing you did not need, was the 8th and 9th domestiques, Fanigni and Zabel would always make my team. Heck, when you have Vino, Kloden, Guerini, Riis, and other strong guys as mtn lietenants, you do not need much more help, just one or two engines like Aldag to drive the peloton if in yellow. See Evans, or the other eras, when the leaders were left on their lonesome 2 mtn tops out from the finish.

jhuskey said:
Sound familiar?
Sponsors who want to take over the whole team don't like it as well. Stapleton was with the team (as an observer...) since September 2005. He was send by the TM corporation. After Ullrich was sacked the sponsor suddenly had this new manager... Stapleton.

cyclingheroes said:
Sponsors who want to take over the whole team don't like it as well. Stapleton was with the team (as an observer...) since September 2005. He was send by the TM corporation. After Ullrich was sacked the sponsor suddenly had this new manager... Stapleton.
Americans :D

I heard Bob and Bill are long lost brothers and they just deny it in public :D

cyclingheroes said:

Absolutely, riders should not be popular with other team members. It leads to subversion.
The electronic training collars were eliminated because of public opinion and weight but mostly because they didn't come in pink.

jhuskey said:
Absolutely, riders should not be popular with other team members. It leads to subversion.
The electronic training collars were eliminated because of public opinion and weight but mostly because they didn't come in pink.
I personally think it was the pink jerseys. getting up everyday and having to put one on , and then ride in front of millions. I think it might take your balls down a little. Ever notice when a babe rides seriously, she always buys a T-M jersey if she wears any team stuff at all?

I noticed that too..............a lot of women cyclists over here wear TMO jerseys.

You can imagine my embarrasement when Mrs.Limerickman bought me one (without asking me if I wanted one) for my birthday.
(I normally wear plain jerseys or retro jerseys).

Wanna buy an unworn TMO jersey, Wolf??
C'mon help a fellow cyclist out here.
(ps. If you do, I won't tell Lance either).

limerickman said:
I noticed that too..............a lot of women cyclists over here wear TMO jerseys.

You can imagine my embarrasement when Mrs.Limerickman bought me one (without asking me if I wanted one) for my birthday.

XXL ? Did it fit over the gut Lim ? :p sorry..........

limerickman said:

Mine is in a display case. Worn in the TDF but not by me.

whiteboytrash said:
XXL ? Did it fit over the gut Lim ? :p sorry..........

Actually, it's one of the best fitting jerseys I've ever had.
XL.
(I could be derogatory and say that it's probably modelled on Jan early season
profile).

XXL, LOl!

limerickman said:
Actually, it's one of the best fitting jerseys I've ever had.
XL.
(I could be derogatory and say that it's probably modelled on Jan early season
profile).

XXL, LOl!
I bought one of those lovely Rapha jersey's the other day..... XL and I could barely get it to it ! Who designs these shirts ? I think they build them for skinny Italians and not burley Ullrich types........

haha

I wear the T-Mobile jersey's when I ride. What's wrong with it? Nothing wrong with that colour. I'm a guy and it doesn't phase me. Good to be different. And nothing wrong with it!

Grater said:
haha

I wear the T-Mobile jersey's when I ride. What's wrong with it? Nothing wrong with that colour. I'm a guy and it doesn't phase me. Good to be different. And nothing wrong with it!
Aren't you affraid for possible consequenses?

cyclingheroes said:
Aren't you affraid for possible consequenses?

The problems start when you take it off and try on a jersey of a different color. :D

No Newfound Gap birthday ride this year. It's closed due to snow and ice.
I guess I will just have to celebrate by drinking. :eek:

Grater said:
Some guys lost their job after they rode in that pink jersey, others had police raiding their property... One of them is hunted by paparazzi and others who call themselves journalists for more than a year now.

I do have one, but its not pink, its yellow. Can't tell you where it is, to dangerous.

@jhuskey: Are you sure its safe to hang it on my wall ?
Have a good day and don't drink too much, I will take care of the beer myself :D