Did you ever ask a hottie to ride your woody?

RicodJour wrote:
> http://news.com.com/2300-1008_3-6202540-1.html

Wooden bikes were common during WW2 when the military
had first dibs on all metal stocks. There were some
very beautiful and interesting designs. No tandems
though.

On a tangent, there were also a number of interesting
bikes produced for military use. They had features for
carrying firearms and other gear. The Brits made a
folder for use by paratroopers. Most military models
were produced for WW1 when motorized transport was
still in its infancy.

Bob Schwartz

On Aug 17, 7:07 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Wooden bikes were common during WW2 when the military
> had first dibs on all metal stocks. There were some
> very beautiful and interesting designs. [...]
> On a tangent, there were also a number of interesting
> bikes produced for military use. They had features for
> carrying firearms and other gear. The Brits made a
> folder for use by paratroopers.

I saw the British paratrooper folder at the Musee du Velo, unique en
France, in Cormatin. That sucker weighed about 20 kg. Pivoted around
the seat tube, I think.

Also, although there was a steel shortage during WWII, rubber was in
even shorter supply (gas rationing in the US? That wasn't because of a
shortage of gas--it was to reduce driving and the need for rubber) so
bicycle tires were hard to get. I saw an example of a bike using wound
springs in place of rubber tires.

On Aug 17, 11:03 am, [email protected] wrote:

> I saw an example of a bike using wound
> springs in place of rubber tires.

I wonder how big the bush would have to be to need an Epilady that
large.

> On Aug 17, 7:07 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Wooden bikes were common during WW2 when the military
>> had first dibs on all metal stocks. There were some
>> very beautiful and interesting designs. [...]
>> On a tangent, there were also a number of interesting
>> bikes produced for military use. They had features for
>> carrying firearms and other gear. The Brits made a
>> folder for use by paratroopers.

> I saw the British paratrooper folder at the Musee du Velo, unique en
> France, in Cormatin. That sucker weighed about 20 kg. Pivoted around
> the seat tube, I think.

Dual tubes with a pivot, held together by a bolt and wingnut.

http://horsa.bizland.com/OBLI/BSABike.htm

If you google 'BSA airborne bicycle' you get a number of interesting
hits.

This one: http://www.benvanhelden.nl/Condorclub/Fiets/fietsen.html
has a boatload of information on military bikes, including
backpacking folders and multi-rider (as in more than two) troop
transports. Troop mobility has always been a military asset, just
ask the cavalry. Fascinating stuff.

Bob Schwartz