Did you guys hear?

IronDonut

Apr 26, 2005
Did anyone hear that Lance Armstong won the Tour De France?

I had no idea. Media coverage is so lacking when it comes to Armstrong. You never know what this guy is up to.

It's a shame.

IronDonut said:

I had no idea. Media coverage is so lacking when it comes to Armstrong. You never know what this guy is up to.

It's a shame.
What's more insane is that he wasn't even riding a titanium bike!! Go figure.
:p

We've gone over this before. Carbon bikes have a little weight advantage over titanium. For that weight savings you pay the price in durability.

No problem for a pro that gets all the free bikes he wants. Big problem for someone that has to pay for their bikes out of pocket.

I'm thinking all that custom Project One paint isn't going to be so pretty after 5 years and 50,000 miles of riding.

Of course maybe thats the plan. If you're in the business of selling bikes you don't want that **** to last forever anyway. You wouldn't sell replacement bikes.

As Chris Rock says; "Cadallac doesn't want to make a car that lasts for 20 years, there ain't no money in that!"

Scotty_Dog said:

Scotty_Dog said:
The funny thing is that until last year or the year before (?) he did win the tour on Ti as his TT bike was a rebadged Litespeed Blade.

No! Are you serious?

wilmar13 said:
The funny thing is that until last year or the year before (?) he did win the tour on Ti as his TT bike was a rebadged Litespeed Blade.

You're a bad motherfucker Wilber. After a little internet research it looks like you're right on the money.

The ironic thing here is that I'm going to race in the state TT championships next spring. And I was planning on setting up a Trek carbon fiber TT bike to race on.

My logic goes something like this; durability isn't much of an issue because of how little the bike will get used. So the durability edge that unpainted Ti has over carbon doesn't matter much. However; the ability to form carbon in complex aerodynamic shapes is pretty meaningful on a TT bike where I can't sucker on to someones wheel and pretend to be all tired and **** and then zip by em in the last 1k.

wilmar13 said:

wilmar13 said:

Great call. I'm starting to think you really know stuff.

IronDonut said:

It's a shame.
Who is Lance Armstrong?

I think he is some goober that rides a bike. Personally I wish the media would pay more attention to real athletics and athletes like golf and Tiger Woods. The mental discipline and toughness it must take to play golf everyday. Mind boggling. This Lance Armstrong guy is such a nancy-boy.

wheelist said:
Who is Lance Armstrong?

mitosis said:
Yeah, I imagine it kept the Marketing VP of Litespeed up a few nights being driven crazy over the fact that they had the bike that won 5 or 6 TdF's but they can't say jack because it was a "Trek". Actually while I don't think it was a secret that he was riding a Blade frameset, I have no idea what the arrangement was between Postal/Trek and Litespeed. Anybody out there know?

IronDonut said:
I think he is some goober that rides a bike. Personally I wish the media would pay more attention to real athletics and athletes like golf and Tiger Woods. The mental discipline and toughness it must take to play golf everyday. Mind boggling. This Lance Armstrong guy is such a nancy-boy.
Puleaz... golf balls weigh what like 3ozs? Bowling...now there is a sport for tough guys with real athletic ability and discipline.

wilmar13 said:
Yeah, I imagine it kept the Marketing VP of Litespeed up a few nights being driven crazy over the fact that they had the bike that won 5 or 6 TdF's but they can't say jack because it was a "Trek". Actually while I don't think it was a secret that he was riding a Blade frameset, I have no idea what the arrangement was between Postal/Trek and Litespeed. Anybody out there know?
Probably not much more of an arrangement than just buying some frames and painting them up. Back in the steel frame days, there was hardly a single frame being raced that was what it said it was. The only reason it's not done as much now is that the frames are more distinctive looking, and there are too many cameras around.

wilmar13 said:
Puleaz... golf balls weigh what like 3ozs? Bowling...now there is a sport for tough guys with real athletic ability and discipline.

I get it! It's all about how big your balls are.
Yes! Lance is way ,way out of contention in that case.

They rode the Blade for more than just one TDF?

wilmar13 said:

artmichalek said:
Probably not much more of an arrangement than just buying some frames and painting them up. Back in the steel frame days, there was hardly a single frame being raced that was what it said it was. The only reason it's not done as much now is that the frames are more distinctive looking, and there are too many cameras around.
Well maybe I missed it but I never saw a "the frame that LA rode during the TT's of TdF..." type advert from the boys at Litespeed and I assume they would be all over it if there was not something binding them to refrain from doing so. Maybe they could have legally but it seemed weak without an official endorsement so they didn't bother? :confused:

jhuskey said:
I get it! It's all about how big your balls are.
Yes! Lance is way ,way out of contention in that case.
Well during the climbs the weight advantage was certainly important, and maybe he could achieve a better TT position sans, but lets face it: in America only sports (and athletes) with balls matter... and LA, well :eek: , yeah you got the idea.

IronDonut said:
They rode the Blade for more than just one TDF?
Nah, I don't know, be careful when listening to random jerks on the internet. I do know for sure he used a Litespeed, but perhaps it was only for one year (but I thought it was all years until Trek spent the dough to develop a CF TT bike).

mitosis said:
Yeah, you give me way too much credit... just did a google search :eek: . LA used a Blade in 1999 (and won all the TTs) but word got out and Trek was embarrased into making a real TT bike for 2000. But yeah he did use it for one year.