Did You Know There's a New Bike Line from HostelShoppe

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by R2D2, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I think the other thread became LLL vs the World. :D

    Maybe I'll fit on their 650/650 with the narrower seat. Hmmm.

    I think the frames are assembled at the same frame plant that builds Vision's frames in Washington. Not sure tho.

    If anyone from Hostel Shoppe reads this, please consider offering custom frame sizes, so that a person could get that ideal 45/55% weight distribution no matter what their body proportions are. Thanks.
    R2

    Tags:

  2. R2D2, The 559 or 650 wheeled Bacchetta with the M5 CF or FG seat has a considerably lower seat. In
    my case on the STRADA (med) with the mesh foam seat at full recline I was tiptoe. My X seam is 44/45
    and my inseam is
    30.5". With the M5 seat with the same recline, I'm flat footed. So it does make a pretty substantial
    difference. Another plus for me is that I find the M5 to be more comfortable than the standard
    seat. The Hostelshoppe new bike which is said to be a 559/650 convertible is of unknown designer.
    However, like most new entries they are rarely on time. I imagine there will be some pictures
    soon enough and then buyers when they are available. Remember, that unless you go to Stevens
    Point a nice small college town in rural WI, it will be hard to test ride one. One unknown issue
    will be the seat adjustment or will it a fixed seat with a sliding boom ala Vision? I doubt that
    it will be the Bacchetta type delrin split seat clamp. What/whose seats will be available? There
    are many unanswered questions. Then how long before we see an evaluation by BROL and RCN? I too
    heard that Vision might be the designer builder? If so they then would be indicating that they
    are unconcerned about the effect of this product on their similar bent sales. Again many
    questions.

    Jude....///Bacchetta AERO///bikeE AT St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle
    and Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "R2D2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think the other thread became LLL vs the World. :D
    >
    > Maybe I'll fit on their 650/650 with the narrower seat. Hmmm.
    >
    > I think the frames are assembled at the same frame plant that builds Vision's frames in
    > Washington. Not sure tho.
    >
    > If anyone from Hostel Shoppe reads this, please consider offering custom frame sizes, so that a
    > person could get that ideal 45/55% weight distribution no matter what their body proportions are.
    > Thanks. R2

  3. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I'll definitely have to try out the M5 seat, because I'd dearly love to fit on a Strada or Hostel's 650/650! Maybe just putting the seat on my Giro would benefit me too in the meantime. (although I sure love everything about mine as it is :) )
    Do you know if they sell the seat separately? Or how much?

    >I too
    heard that Vision might be the designer builder?

    I know that Rolf & Co. are doing the designing, it's the welding that's getting done in WA. I could be wrong, but I don't think Vision is involved?

    Thanks again, you always have great advice.
    R2

  4. On 15 Mar 2003 13:01:30 +1050, R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >If anyone from Hostel Shoppe reads this, please consider offering custom frame sizes, so that a
    >person could get that ideal 45/55% weight distribution no matter what their body proportions are.
    >Thanks. R2

    Is weight distribution really all that critical? I thik a lot of SWB bikes (specially lowracers) are
    more front-heavy than that, and most LWB bikes have more weight on the rear. Yet well-designed
    examples of either type handle well. Well enough for me anyway.

  5. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Ken Kobayashi Wrote:
    >Is weight distribution really all that critical? I thik a lot of SWB bikes (specially lowracers) are
    more front-heavy than that, and most LWB bikes have more weight on the rear. Yet well-designed
    examples of either type handle well. Well enough for me anyway.

    From personal experience, I believe the fore/aft weight distribution plays a large part in determining how the bike will ride and handle. For example, if you fitted yourself on a Large, Medium, and Small frame of a particular model, you will certainly notice differences in handling (esp. steering). Whether the difference matters to you is of course personal preference.

    A person can ride any bike with just about any weight distribution, sure. It's when you are fine-tuning the ride to your own personal preferences that the small adjustments become important. It seems many manufacturers keep coming back to about a 45/55% ratio (in a SWB recumbent). One of the best-known examples is the fast and great-handling P38.

    I haven't put my Giro (and myself - ugh) on a scale yet, but I'm pretty sure it will end up in that neighborhood. I certainly love the way it handles. Of course, your opinion may differ - that's why everyone should test ride the bike before buying.

    I just think that customizing the frame to the individual rider would be a tremendous option for the Hostel Shoppe to offer (and be a unique selling point for them). I just hope it won't cost me my right arm (cuz that'd definitely change the ratio again :) )

    R2