Did You Learn On Training Wheels?

My learning how to ride a bike (without training wheels) consisted of a "Here we go son!" followed by a mighty push and a hair raising ride down a large grassy hill. Im still suprised I never broke anything. :)

My learning how to ride a bike (without training wheels) consisted of a "Here we go son!" followed by a mighty push and a hair raising ride down a large grassy hill. Im still suprised I never broke anything. :)

i'm not sure on this but this is what i remember. I was about 5 and my older brother just got this new ninja turtles bmx style bike for christmas. It was probably spring and i was getting jealous, I wanted to ride the bike too. so one day i took it out all by my self and kept at it. fell about 5 or 6 times and then i was riding like a pro.... :) yeah thats it a pro... I WISH :)

I learned when I was six years old or maybe seven years old. A neighbor of mine had a nice steep incline in his driveway so he started by making me get on a bike and riding down that incline and it worked like a charm. Learned how to ride a bike that way. Pretty easy if you use an incline because of the rolling wheels at high rpms keeps the bike upright.

Thomas Davis

Originally posted by Bill Wellborn
I didn't learn with training wheels and I didn't use them with my kids. I took the pedals off and put them on a slight downward slope and they learned to balance in a very short time, then I put the pedals back on.

wow, i thought my dad was the only freak in the world who put his kids through this torture and embarrassment! well, it seemed to work.... i learned when i was four, and i was riding no hands with my feet on the top tube before he would put the pedals back on the bike--it's on film.

caligurl said:
i sure wish i'd had training wheels the first time i road clipless.....

lol yeah. Same here. :rolleyes:

But yes, training wheels were on my blinding yellow, solid steel banana seat bike for a couple weeks until we took them off and my father ran along side after holding the back seat a while. What a sensation that was too, to be riding free on the bike those first few moments. Only equalled these last two years in mountain descents. Feels about the same. Speed is a bit different. ;)

Nope.. my first bike had them... and even at that young age apparently i asked my mother or grandfather...someone... to take them off, at which point supposedly i just rode the bike..i'm sure i fell plenty of times though

i first started out with those things... after about 1 hour got the hang of it and dad removed them :D i was only 3 at that time :p

My dad aimed me at the neighbor's magnolia tree and gave me a shove. After disappearing into it 4 or 5 times, I finally got the hang of steering around it. Once done, I was riding.

gntlmn said:
This sounds like about the most humane approach yet. lol.

lol yeah.....and i did learn to ride my bike when i was bout 3-4 with training wheels, still remeber the day my dad tpok them off, off i went down the hill..... :) then fell off lol :rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure I had training wheels, but I wouldn't swear to it. What I'll never forget, however, is the thrill of my first unassisted ride. I flew like a bird down to the end of the block, turned and zipped back in the other direction -- until I hit a large sycamore tree and crashed down in a bloody heap. For the next 20 years, until I moved away, I never passed that tree without the memory coming back, as I'm sure it would if I ever returned to the old neighborhood.