Did you recover after fractured collarbone (clavicle)

sportsmed

Feb 24, 2007
I am concerned about cyclists who fractured their collarbone in cycling accidents. I have had a few such cases in the past (see http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com). They often took more than 2-3 months before able to cycle in full intensity and duration.

Anyone has any such experiences before? Did you go for surgery? How long did you take to recover?:eek:

sportsmed said:
I am concerned about cyclists who fractured their collarbone in cycling accidents. I have had a few such cases in the past (see http://sportsnmedicine.blogspot.com). They often took more than 2-3 months before able to cycle in full intensity and duration.

Anyone has any such experiences before? Did you go for surgery? How long did you take to recover?:eek:

Not cycling, but I did bust my rt. clavicle in 5 places. Surgery was contra-indicated because of other injuries. In 8 weeks I was back racing motorcycles. There are no deficits as a result of the fx clavicle.

alienator said:
Not cycling, but I did bust my rt. clavicle in 5 places. Surgery was contra-indicated because of other injuries. In 8 weeks I was back racing motorcycles. There are no deficits as a result of the fx clavicle.
No problems riding a bicycle? e.g. going uphill?:eek:

sportsmed said:
No problems riding a bicycle? e.g. going uphill?:eek:

Zero problems even though my rt. shoulder is now 2cm closer to my spine than the original specs.

alienator said:
Zero problems even though my rt. shoulder is now 2cm closer to my spine than the original specs.
In 2001 I flipped upside down and came down on my head and left shoulder and my shoulder is still f@@cked up. At the hospital they could not decide whether it was separated or not and now my shoulder sits lower than my collarbone and there is grating in my rotator cuff. Anyways, recovered? Well, I can ride. But I see surgery in the future. I just can't seem to get around to it because I know it will keep me from riding. :D

I broke my collarbone on the left side after going over the handlebars as a result of a badly done right turn. I was 15 at the time, and am now 33. The bike was a Schwinn World that I'd had for two or three weeks at the time. It suffered a few scratches and a bent handlebar. I also hit my head in the fall. The whole ordeal was quite painful, and involved cutting off my treasured Georgetown Hoyas t-shirt.

The treatment involved wearing a sling that went under both arms around my back. No surgery. I had to wear the sling for several weeks and could do little in the way of sports. I got teased about it some at first. For the first week, the sling had to stay on without being removed, and all I could do was take short baths to keep clean. I remember soaking myself in Right Guard and Brut aerosol deodorant during that time.

Now, it looks like my left shoulder is a little lower than my right. It's not been the source of any significant trouble.

Some surgeons would operate on elite athletes with collarbone fracture. Anyone here had that and how was the experience after surgery? How long did it take for you to recover fully?

Broke my clavicle Dec 31st 2011 and had it plated jan 5th.

Now that the surgi strips are off I can really feel 2 of the 6 screw heads. They are very palpable. Anyone else have this experience or an experience with screws moving?