Did You Ride Today?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mr. Beanz, Nov 19, 2015.

1. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Yeah, slapping on a new chain will quickly tell you if the cassette's most popular gears are roached.

U, my condolences on the loss of your father. Prayer sent your way. Also, good to hear you are on Zwift. I read the Zwift FB page and I simply have to try it out!

2. OkiePhlyer

OkiePhlyer New Member

26.2 miles today in the wind gusting into the 20s. That's the only kind of marathon I can do! 1025' of climbing. Crank bolt loosened up about halfway, but I did manage to catch it before it completely left to bike. I've been meaning to buy an Allen set to keep with me. Today sped up the process and I bought one at the store that was on the way back. With new tools I tightened the crank and off I went to finish the last 6 miles. 2 miles later it started to loosen again. I might have to get some work done on it...

I'm pretty sure those fine threads on the bolt have been damaged a little with riding it while it loosened up. Is there anything that can be done to salvage it and make it stay, or am I looking at some new parts in the near future? Maybe a new thread is coming...

3. CAMPYBOB

Okie, I don't know what type of crankset and bottom bracket you have. It 'might' be possible to Helicoil the spindle and fix the damaged threads, but in all seriousness a new bottom bracket will be less expensive and a safer route to go. Losing a crank arm can result in a complete loss of control of the bike. Not good!

It was raining this afternoon so I hit the trainer for 47 minutes. Just a moderate workout without a power meter.

My ass is confused! In the last week I've been on a Selle Italia Flite (old style 142 MM), a Selle Italia SLR (131 MM), a Bontrager RL (138 MM) and the couch cushion that calls itself the Selle San Marco Rolls (143 MM).

4. CAMPYBOB

43 minutes on the trainer for another good workout session. The legs will feel these last two trainer sessions for sure.

It got up to 56 degrees today, but the rain came, on and off, pretty much all day. We had a wind gust of 54 MPH this morning and it's been running a steady 22 to 35 MPH all day. This afternoon the gusts were hitting 46 MPH. Yeah...windy!

5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

A bit on the trainer after I repaired the click in it. Just needed a bushing on the shaft.
    I can't stand a noise in a machine that is supposed to be smooth and quiet. I got past glass-packed mufflers years ago.

6. CAMPYBOB

Same here, JH. If the bike is making a noise...any noise other than tire hum or the chain gliding over the gears...I'll spend hours tracking it down and silencing it.

The wind blew hard all night. No power from 9 PM to 2 AM...suspect trees were blown into the wires. The backup kicked in. The wind was a steady 25 to 35 MPH all damned night and gusts roared to 48 MPH. Limbs and trees down everywhere this morning and the temperature dropped to 29 degrees. We also had a dusting of snow before sun up.

I'll go on an inspection tour of the woods this afternoon with the chainsaw.

I'm hoping to get out this afternoon because the forecast has an inch of snow coming tonight and tomorrow morning.

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I have heard of some complaints about the Proform TDF clicking. It took mine several years to start but it was an easy fix. A $1.00 bushing and a little labor.

8. CAMPYBOB

Cool. I'm glad it was an easy fix! We'll still need the trainers for a couple more weeks.

Winter returned to Ohio after the wind from Hell. I was up on the barn roof this afternoon replacing two shingles in 30 degree air. With light snow falling and the wind going 15 MPH. That sucked and working without gloves...that just plain hurt.

Just as got the ladder and tools cleaned up and put away the snow really picked up as a squall line moved through. Damn! It had been decent enough for a road ride up until then. Oh well!

I hit the trainer and let it rip. I kept the heart rate way up and blasted through 46 minutes of focused high tempo work. I still have half a headache from cranking the headphones up so loud. Yeah, my afternoon was a special kind of stupid, but I took the frustration out on the pedals and got a pretty good workout session as my reward.

Tonight they are calling for more snow. It's 28 degrees this evening, light snow is still falling and will be about 22 degrees by morning. A little more snow tomorrow so...Trainer City, here I come!

9. zipp2001

zipp2001 Well-Known Member

Decided to go stealth (Single Speed) after work today thinking the wind would be nice to me. Rolled out a very cold 15 mile light roller, 30 degrees,12-14 wind, attack the rollers ride.

10. CAMPYBOB

23 degrees and light snow flurries on and off all day. The wind is going a steady 16 MPH with gusts in the 30-32 MPH range.

I hit the trainer for 51 minutes. With dead legs I pulled it up to speed and kept it going until the last 15 minutes. Then it was crank up the tunes and rock & roll it to the line. Finished pretty spent.

11. zipp2001

Had high teens low 20's most of the day plus a dusting of snow. So hit both the trainer and treadmill for an hour each. Did go outside for a little over an hour picking up all the dead branches that covered the lawn from the crazy high winds last week.

Tomorrow is low 20's but will be riding the mountain bikes with Dave, the woods should block the wind so it won't seem as cold.

Went to the bike cave and did a paint job for a good friend, this should take a couple strokes off his game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfIAplhC5QQ

12. CAMPYBOB

Zipp, you are one creative dude!

22 miles of medium hills. 1400' of climbing in 30 degree sunshine. Only a medium tempo. My legs were shot to pieces from all the trainer work this week.

The wind was a light 3 to 9 MPH and I tried to keep the gearing light. I watched Strada Bianche this morning before taking the wife out for a late breakfast and as fired up as I was to 'ride like a pro!' there was very little Watts in the tank. Still, a fun ride!

13. zipp2001

14. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Got up to the low 60s today. After a couple of stops tweeking the new chain/cassette tension adjustment, I had a smooth ride with no slipping in the steeps. Plenty of daylight now in the evenings so I hope to get back to where I was last September before the pelvis fracture shit/storm. Legs were actually toasted after working on the new boat dock yesterday and this morning but I am still young.... in metric-dog years.

15. CAMPYBOB

It was only 46-47 degrees up here, but at least it was sunny and the wind was only 10 to 13 MPH.

33 miles of easy rolling stuff with 1275' of climbing. My legs were still pretty shot, but I surprised myself. RPM's were good, endurance was good and I could keep them turning over easily no matter which way the wind was going. Weird.

I found a pair of Ansell Industrial gloves and a Forged In The U.S.A. Sears Craftsman 15/16" 12-Point Combination Wrench! Bonus!

Zipp, the jersey looks really cool! Nice job!

16. Polfi992

Polfi992 New Member

Not at all! I was little bit busy in another work. Hope I will do tomorrow.

17. CAMPYBOB

48 degrees and rain all day so it was another session on the trainer.

I killed it. And myself. 46 minutes at near max. effort with a few roll-on accelerations and a couple intervals tossed in. The legs are officially fried now.

zipp2001 likes this.
  18. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

Baby rides, a few 10 milers a week on Zwift. Looking into getting a new bike for spring, had my heart set on a BMC teammachine, but no shops in my area have the 105 version in 61 cm. Seems like they don't have the biggest stock on bikes for tall guys. My current one is fine though, not really in a rush.

Thanks for the condolences campybob, the bike is one of the things that keeps me relaxed in times like these. Have you've been watching Yowamushi Pedal season 3?Looks to be a good one.

19. CAMPYBOB

Damn! Thanks for reminding me! Off to Crunchyroll or YouTube to catch up.

I did watch a little of the spin-off series...forget the series name right now.

The Team Machine is a good frame IMO. I haven't ridden one, but the geometry works for me. I almost bought a demo model 105 Team Machine off Craigslist a year ago, but the pawn shop that had it wouldn't come off the $1800 price tag. R&A Cycles in New York might have your 61. They are a large dealer in BMC bikes, but their prices also look pretty much NYC stock broker prices.

20. CAMPYBOB

Watching episode 1. Onoda gets a BMC...U wants a BMC! LOL!

The level of animation detail is amazing. The shimaNO hubs on those bikes look identical to my RS330 hubs! The Di2 stuff was also excellently drawn. What a great series of animation for cyclists.