Did You Ride Today?

Heh...Episode 13 was interesting. The quiet bike cleaner-turned-ace new guy challenger for team captain was unexpected.

38 degrees and on & off rain all day. No snow yet though. The wind was going 16 to 20 MPH and driving a cold mist through my jacket so I decided to hit the trainer for a Long Steady Distance ride.

OK...maybe just Long & Steady! An hour and two minutes worth of turning the gear and the legs loading up with lactic acid. I tossed in a few jumps and a long high speed run. Nothing exciting, for sure.

Still, a good workout and the shower will feel good!

38 degrees this afternoon after an inch of snow this morning. It was just enought to screw up the roads and bring the salt trucks out. Most of the county roads had been swept of the Winter grit and gravel, but I'm guessing the grit trucks were also out this morning.

So I did 44 of the fastest minutes I put in on the trainer. I punched the Garmin and headed off into la la land. I kept kicking all the way through the workout and ignoring the effort as best I could. A great workout.

A test to see where my endurance is at. Rode off into headwinds and a chilly 40 degrees with short sleeves and shorts on. The sun came out eventually, but the wind stayed for the most part. The new bike positioning has made days like this much more bearable.

52.6 miles/17.4 mph/2500 ft.3 minutes stopping time. Not bad for all the slacking I've been doing the last few months.

Nice ride, U! But 40 degrees and exposed legs? We are roadies. We have rules. Keep the knee warmers, knickers or tights on until at least 60 degrees. I've always used 60 to 70 degrees as the range of temperature to go with bare legs.

It was 56 degrees with the sun shining and the wind going 8 to 12 MPH. Beautiful! Let's ride!

42 miles and just a recovery ride after that screaming trainer workout yesterday. The legs were only so-so, but I didn't need a big Watt ride so it was cruise control and moderate gears. 2125' of climbing.

Paris-Roubaix tomorrow morning. Watch it on steephilltv.com and eat waffles for breakfast! Go Tom Boonen!

Yahoo Spring has finally sprung ! It reached 60 degrees and yes I was wearing arm/leg warmer because the wind still had a chill to it. But man was it GREAT to be out and not deal with freezing temps or super wet salty roads. It showing 70's for Tuesday, double Yahoo.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2gT5tniJQ

Is that a Nissan Zed? Nice! Legs and arms should be covered at 60 degrees unless it's a competition, in which case the use of embrocation is encouraged.

It hit 70 degrees here, but I hit the fields on the tractor after watching Greg Van Avermaet win Paris-Roubaix in epic fashion! Then I did a couple hours of mowing.

The wind was going 15 to 16 MPH, but the sun was out in all its glory. Sort of recovered, I started a little climbing ride and kept pushing the tempo wherever I could. 1830' of vertical in 32 miles and a fun ride it was.

56 when I started and 63 when I finished but got into the 70s in the afternoon. This is first time in 4 weeks I could make any effort wihout a nuclear coughfest. It was a decent ride but my form is not 100% . I will work on it now that I am on the recovery road.

Glad you're feeling better, JH!

It hit 79 degrees in Ohio today. I had time for a quick 18 mile ride with just over 530' of climbing. The wind was a killer 16 to 25 MPH with gusts running to 35 MPH! Yeah, that hurt.

The sun was out and the sweating felt great!

First ride on the Campy-Wilier this year. I finally put the Ribble R872 on the back burner for a few days as the roads are finally clean enough to go Italian. It felt FAST! The wheels are light, the handling is fast and the ride is refined and laser focused, The shifting was much faster and quieter than the 105 or Ultegra, but it does require muscle yet less lever swing. "Welcome home!", was the overall feeling! Even the older, more rounded wing design of the Flite saddle was light years more comfy than the flat'ish new version Flite I tossed on the Ribble.

And despite the matte blacked out cool kid look of the R872, I've yet to find a classier color scheme (IMO) than the red-black-white of the Wilier despite its common usage among many manufacturers.

Reactions: zipp2001
Similar temps and ride as Campybob. 18.3 miles/700 ft/mid 70's. Had only an hour after getting back from work at 6:30.I am now officially back on the wagon and looking forward to this years riding season.

Reactions: zipp2001
Is that a Nissan Zed? Nice! Legs and arms should be covered at 60 degrees unless it's a competition, in which case the use of embrocation is encouraged.

Yes that is a Nissan Zed and it's only going to cost me $1.00 if I stay with the company for 3 years. I usually work on a year to year basis with this company, and the owner wanted a longer commitment. So I said throw a new car in the mix along with my other compensation and we have a deal, so he did.
I need warmer weather before the leg and arm warmer come off.

The leg and arm warmers came off today 82 degrees, and I was a little excited to get the old TT bike out for the first time this year.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=706vSkJeI3U

Great negotiating skillz, Zipp! I like the Zed despite not being a fan of Nissan in general. They are awesome sports touring cars and can be turned into wicked fast track day rides.

And DAYEM! You still have some snow melting off!

Only a fast blast 12-mile sprint this afternoon on still drying roads from the morning rain. Horsepower ride to put up near race speed numbers to test condition. Everything felt good, the numbers were good and despite the only 12-13 MPH sapping speed more than it should have it was a fun test.

Only 450' of climbing on the out & back course and the temperature was a cool 66 degrees.

No, I wobbled up the hills like a teenager after his first beer. I wouldn't call it a ride. Turns out my glucose was bottoming out at 50. Maybe I should retire and work on my form but I need to work another year to pay off my tax debt this year. Yes I just did my taxes. Holy mother of no exemptions. I am being raped without being kissed.

Damn, JH! Poor form AND the goobermint reaching into your wallet? Time to retire to the South of Italy. Drink vino and train all day!

It was a cool 64 degrees this afternoon, but the sun was shining and the wind only going 8 to 12 MPH. I got a nice 29-mile hill ride in. Just under 1500' of climbing and the Wilier went up nice and easy. I'm still trying to snap the brake levers off when I grab for a gear change without thinking what I'm sitting on first.

No record pace for this course, but the season is still young.

Yup, I'm back! Still riding. A local ride today, solo. Just trying to get in some ele gain for conditioning. 16.7 miles with 1,568 ft of gain.

20170412_180437.jpg

When I ride from home, even the short rides get some gain. Right outside my doorstep is a 4%-10% grade.First 12 miles gives me 1500+ feet. And half of that is downhill.

20170412_180753.jpg

Reactions: rm57 and zipp2001
It's good to see your mug again, Mr. B! I hope you and Gina are doing well.

Only 17 miles this afternoon with just over 500' of climbing. It was an easy ride under an overcast / cloudy sky with the temperature right at 60 degrees. Yes, I was in tights and a light base layer under a short sleeve jersey.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Got out for 19.5 miles after work with 62 degrees and 8-10 mph winds. Went and did the two sections of bike paths we have because I wasn't in the mood to play in traffic today.

Yes it is great to see you back Mr. Beanz.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
8.6 miles/300 ft/18mph Wednesday night
22 miles/950 ft/16.9mph 6am Thursday

Almost enough daylight hours for a decent ride before or after work. Sunday is suppose to be 80. Maybe another 50 or metric depending on how I feel after Saturday's ride

67 miles in 72 degree sunshine!

Just under 2700' of climbing. It's a gently rolling course except for that first 550' that hits you in the opening 5 miles. The ride opened with a cross-head wind, but it was only 7 to 9 MPH. 30 miles of that before turning off towards the return leg a couple miles over and parallel to the outbound leg of the course.

I kept a steady tempo on the climbs and only half-assed the throttle on the outbound leg on the flats.

Then, the wind switched just in time for the return leg! It was more of a cross wind, but some headwind swirling kept the work load up all the way back.

With the sun out it was a great day to ride.

Reactions: Uawadall
Back in the saddle and bike bookmarks. Last year I rode 1825mi. Just couldn't make it to 2000, although I could of. Sept cools and I just loose interest. So this year I planned to start early, get ahead. One short Feb ride on abn warm day. Missed March. Did 22 2 wks ago on std course, but was disappointed by 15.7mph pace. Expected fast pace with winter trainer. 58 now, am I slowing down?? Repeat 22 mi last eve and crushed it with 16.7 pace which is just fine. Committed this year to making bike buddies, cause 99% of 3,000 mi past 2 yrs were solo. Rushing this early am to get work at office done so I can make 9:30a ride. Will be chiller than I like, but not too bad.