Did You Ride Today?

We will be staying in Oudenaarde for most of the trip, it's an ace spot for riding. We've got a great deal on a rental for 3 months.

How do you arrange 3 months off from work?! That's absolutely awesome! I hope you have a great time over there and I am jealous! You are so close to the many classics courses and I know you'll fit in a bit of the Tour!

Overnight snow and a dusting more this morning. Just enough to screw up the roads and, of course, they put on tons of grit for no reason. Nothing was slick or nasty. Most of the snow melted away by 2 PM. The wind was still nuts and running mostly at 20 to 25 MPH all day. Gusts were up to 40 MPH. Temperature was right around 29 to 33 all day.

I hit the trainer for a little better than 2-1/2 hours worth of varied tempo work. One minute I was in a full bore nos-in-the-laptop sprint and the next I was just doing moderate tempo work getting to my next high effort. Not really well structured, but a good workout. I stated out doing the Watopia Volcano Climb, then did the Road To Ruins and then another Volcano Climb. I finished up with a lap on Ocean Blvd.

Lots of fun today!

30 degrees and sunny with the winds still so high that it brought down two trees on the farm. Had to fire up the chainsaw this morning and get to work.

Did 2 Hrs. and 25 minutes on Zwift. Again, fast and moderate tempo mix. Felt good. Finally completed the 333-mile march from Level 21 to Level 22. Probably averaged about 35-38 miles per session. Around 3,400 riders in the game this afternoon.

With the weather expected to **** out again on Tuesday and Wednesday with more snow in the forecast, getting to Level 23 should be done before hitting the road with any regularity.

25 degrees and sunshine this morning! Cold! The wind was immediately going 15 MPH.

I hit Zwift for an hour and five minutes. Another new FTP! Hammered over the hill and through the gate into the Jungle and bombed down the descent towards the Falls. Just as I started into the Jungle I hooked up with 6 other fast dudes. We blew through the Falls and as soon as road started to climb after the Arch everybody wanted to light it up.

Somehow, I managed to get to the head of affairs and dropped all of them. That NEVER happens! OK...let's see if the old track bike can do 90 RPM's all the way to the Rope Bridge. 3%-4% seems to be my only climbing sweet spot to stay with the road bikes and the gradual climb to the Rope Bridge might be a successful run.

I set it on the limit and kept an eye in the rear view mirror...watching the time gaps and meters to close. Turn after turn, rise after rise I held the gap and increased it. Guy came flying by that wasn't in our group and gave me a Ride On! as I jumped for his wheel. Told the legs to Shut Up and hung on for dear life. Passed him on the approach to the Rope Bridge and crossed it with a **** eating grin on my face no one in virtual land could see or imagine.

Worked all the way up the final paved climb out of the Jungle and cleared the 100M ASL sign going like a Ferrari on full song.

Bombed down to the Spruce Goose and just as I re-entered the Volcano Flat Route I got on the back of some group workout ride. Pushed hard on the gas pedal and showed them how an old fart on a track bike can run up the two short S-Turn climbs and stayed on the front as much as I could all the way back to the Finish Arch.

Rewarded with a new FTP was more than worth the work. Just hit Level 22 and I'm going to storm across it to Level 23 like a boss!

I changed into tights, put on a couple light base layers, grabbed my balaclava, helmet and medium weight gloves and threw the Emonda in the car for a 20-mile outdoor ride in 37-39 degree afternoon sunshine. The cold air felt great, but the wind was tough when it was in my face. Time to get out more often and HTFU!

Reactions: steve
This Kangaroo hopped along the side of the road with me for 2 or 3 km at about 30kph.

kanga.jpg

Well, tie me kangaroo down, mate! That sure beats anything I've seen on Zwift...including the sloth and giant deer!

36 degrees, sunny and the wind going 8 to 10 MPH.

I headed out for a short road ride with just under 500' of climbing. It was cold, but it felt good to be outside and in the fresh air again!

The roads are still just trashed. Road grit so thick a gravel bike or cross bike would be better suited to the conditions. Potholes everywhere, although I could see the half-assed patch jobs have already commenced.

Back to the trainer tomorrow with slush and rain in the forecast. The are calling for the next warm up to be coming early next week! Yay!

53 degrees and sunshine that went to overcast just as I unloaded the bike from the SUV. Wind was a mild 7 to 8 MPH.

Just like yesterday, right around 500' of climbing over an easy course. Power numbers looked decent and I just seemed to breeze along without much effort. Just under 20 miles so a nice leg stretch, but not anything more.

Thankfully, they moved the crappy weather back to tonight. Three days of colder temperatures, slush, snow, rain, ice...who knows? Going to be off the roads for a few more days, for sure.

30 with rain this morning turning into afternoon snow flurries. No accumulation so far, but we are supposed get an inch over night another inch tomorrow. Possibly a little more snow on Friday. So yeah, the weather has turned back into full suck mode.

I hit the trainer for a good 2-hour session this afternoon. Blasted around The Greatest London Flat Route 2-1/2 times as fast as I could boogie. Didn't achieve anything other than a darned good ride and a hard workout.

I'll do some virtual climbing tomorrow and slow it down a bit on the flat parts.

I haven't posted for a while since all I have are boring events to convey. Snowed the last two days so more trainer adventures for me. I definitely need a change of scenery. I feel like the back dog on a sled team, always the same view.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
I definitely need a change of scenery.

Zwift, Rouvy, Road Grand Tours, FulGaz, etc.

Snow falling on and off all day. I'm headed to London on Zwift. I'll guarantee you there's 2500 on the game right now and 2400 will want to kick my ass.

Another fun 2 hours on Zwift.

27 degrees and snowing outside and the wind is 15 to 21 MPH steady with gusts to 26 MPH.

Greater London Loop over Box Hill and a lap of the Greater London Flat route. Found some semi-fast guys and two gals to hammer along with. I am continually impressed with the speed of the female riders on Zwift. Linked up with another mini-blob of guys as I was trying to give the last 5 miles of the workout a little stick. It hurt, but I stayed with them and lead them for a little bit here and there before pulling the plug.

Rode through two rain showers. Tried twice for a new PR on the Strand Sprint, but came up short both times. With the weather looking like **** for a few days I'll hit Level 23 in no time at this rate.

Another inch of snow overnight, last night and maybe 1/2" more today. Overcast, light snow flurries and heavy snow squalls. Roads were everything from wet to snow covered to icy this morning. The wind drove the light drifting to 4" to 6" deep across the North-South roads.

2 hours on Zwift in London again. Just rode the Greatest London Flat Route for just shy of three laps. Only hung out with the fast crowd for 3 miles along the Thames River and I showed them the tail lights for awhile and then...blew up. Throttled back and rode the rest of the second lap E-Z. Picked up the tempo half way around the third lap and warmed down for the exit.

Nice workout. Only 1650-1900 riders in the game. Roads were not crowded.

33 degrees and sunshine today, but the roads are trashed with runoff water from the melting snow, road grit and salt. The wind was 6 to 12 MPH.

Hit the trainer early for 2 hours of Zwift on London's Greatest Flat Route. Only 1050' of virtual climbing. A fun, fast ride. Ran into bunches of folks that wanted to keep the tempo high. A fun workout!

33 degrees and sunny with the wind at 6 to 9 MPH.

I hit the trainer this morning for 2 hours and 14 minutes worth of Watopia. 43 Zwift miles and 38 Garmin miles with 1400' of virtual climbing. Did the Road To Ruin Route, The Volcano Flat Route 2X and the Volcano Circuit 3X plus a little free riding. Kept the power down and crossed over into Level 23 territory.

I'm going to wait for the temperature to come up a few degrees and head out on the real roads for a short cruise just to see if I remember how to balance a bike, steer, shift and brake.

Was able to sneak out a road bike ride in-between storms today, and it was just great to be out on the road. Although it looks like I'll be back in the woods with the fat bike this week after more snow coming Monday night into Tuesday.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM3ZWyooMsY

How do you arrange 3 months off from work?! That's absolutely awesome! I hope you have a great time over there and I am jealous! You are so close to the many classics courses and I know you'll fit in a bit of the Tour!

I've saved annual leave for a fair while plus some unpaid time off ;)

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
36 degrees and light snow flurries this afternoon. Overcast sky and the wind at 9 to 14 MPH.

I hit the trainer for about an hour and fifty minutes on Zwift's Watopia. I did the Volcano Climb Route and the Volcano Flat Route and the Flat Loop plus three laps of the Volcano Circuit. Only had time to work in 1,300' of climbing. I need to do The Big Loop or the Mountain Route, but that's going to be worked into the weekend runs.

Just a steady tempo this afternoon with very little time spent in the upper zones. About 2,700 riders in the game plus the usual bunch of runners. A fun workout!