Did You Ride Today?

Bummer, wasted 2 days of riding fighting with a brake shop about my truck.

But got to clean my bike finally.

20230528_165420.jpg
20230528_194931.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
Forgot to describe the last pic. Gina wanted to try a taco stand type restaurant we'd passed several times. Good reviews but it totally sucked. Must have been white people doing the reviews. :D

But we made the best of it. I was hungry after my ride so I ate the ****. But now we know!

A quick out and back early late pm for a mid - week loosening up .

The old stage route , went down the other side - some gravely spots. Rode the hybrid so I could spin away just 750 ft of gain.

Got gold country rotary challenge in 2 days Saturday so pampering myself meantime. I’m actually apprehensive to the time needed in the saddle. Going to be likely 3 hours plus ( kiddie route) same route as Amgen tour just a portion of it.

Realized I’m simply heat intolerant yesterday. About 80F at 30%RH.
Wilted like a rose petal. So Saturday will try to start a bit early.

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpeg
    IMG_1786.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Did my usual 80 mile ride without eating nor drinking again. I wasn't able to ride last weekend due to fever, food poisoning, and possible myocarditis.

I tried something different on this ride and did plenty of standing intervals on the climbs but not more than 10 seconds each. Frequent but very short. I tried to keep it short because later in the ride, if I do it for longer, I feel like I'm going to get cramping on my legs. Luckily, nothing went wrong on this ride.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Today, I soared to new heights, conquering an impressive 20km on my bike. What fuelled this triumph? The secret lies in "Pedal Power Jams," the perfect cycling playlist. With every beat and melody, it kept my motivation soaring and my legs pumping.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/108gEPrBhJ7X5hfXPETVJK?si=b7d70281ba9c4d15

Impressive 20 km? You're way behind. I suggest you find a better means of motivation cause that Pedal Power Jams stuff ain't working. :D

• Haha
Reactions: cobbwheels
Impressive 20 km? You're way behind. I suggest you find a better means of motivation cause that Pedal Power Jams stuff ain't working. :D

That 20 km is causing him to over train! That's why he feels so demotivated, he needed that crappy playlist to feel motivated again!

I recommend he just do ant-hill repeats on his backyard for now.

Keeping it under 1 km a day should prevent him from over-training and feeling severely demotivated!

After several weeks, he may upgrade to 2 km a day. Maybe next year, he can resume doing 20 km again!

I did ride the"Gold Country Challenge" on Saturday ( half metric) as I wasn't confident to do a further distance.
About 38miles of rolling hills maybe 3200 ft of vertical
Nothing real steep on that route , I only coughed up 44mph tops on the decent(s)
Blew through 2 bottles of water a powerbar & a few gels. The last climb to the finish is what got me . Had nothing left in my legs for the last leg after pushing hard the whole ride. Actually dismounted momentarily and more than once. That was some unwanted drama, whining ect .
2 hours 50 minutes in the saddle with around 13mph avg speed. In the 11 months I've been riding again -longest ride and longest amount of time in the saddle non-stop. Surprised myself just a little.

I did ride the"Gold Country Challenge" on Saturday ( half metric) as I wasn't confident to do a further distance.
Nothing real steep on that route , I only coughed up 44mph tops on the decent(s)
Blew through 2 bottles of water a powerbar & a few gels. The last climb to the finish is what got me . Had nothing left in my legs for the last leg after pushing hard the whole ride. Actually dismounted momentarily and more than once. That was some unwanted drama, whining ect .
2 hours 50 minutes in the saddle with around 13mph avg speed. In the 11 months I've been riding again -longest ride and longest amount of time in the saddle non-stop. Surprised myself just a little.
Nice!

You did great! I also nearly blew my first half metric after long time of no long rides. I remember also bringing 2 bottles of water and a handful of rice crackers. I brought 3 bottles the next time around and more rice crackers which got me through the half metric without problems.

Then I had this really stupid, passed out drunk idea to do intermittent fasting and train/do long rides during the fasting window to produce some adaptations and you know the rest. I'm really surprised that stupid idea of mine actually produced good results.

My tip on rolling hills if you're still getting used to long rides is to coast (don't turn the pedal at all) on all the descents to rest your legs at every opportunity. You'll actually make better time even if you are a bit slower on the descents if you get a bit faster on climbs because your legs and back are better rested and you're making less stops or not stopping at all and most importantly, not bonking.

You probably also heard me write about standing up on one leg and/or keeping a very upright posture while coasting on descents to "air brake". It's not just about air braking. Standing up on one leg (resting all you weight on just one pedal, not both) during descents will help relieve your butt from the long period of sitting down, allow you to stretch and rest the legs, and also allow you to sit in the most upright posture possible at the same time to rest the core muscles. You need fresh legs and core as much as possible to climb with the least amount of suffering.

No need to stop if you have plenty of descents. Use the descents to rest your legs and stretch out. To avoid getting too much drag while descending in upright posture, just pay attention to your elbows and wrists, and keep them tucked in.

I go racer boy on the decent pretty darn aero . Sure I keep them elbows in! No time to rest there.
The event not a race but I always compete against myself and try to meet the projected time I will complete course.
I'd realized short of the liquid IV in the watebottle and a honey stinger gel - did the 38 miles on empty stomach otherwise. No breakfast at all . And stated the liquid IV about 45 minutes in .

The coasting thing - It kills my cadence avg for purpose of garmin data - so I try to pedal and rarely coast downhill. Just not thru the tight turns I'm not going to go slow on decent , cant have others around me that I don't trust . So I just bomb it , very few want to hang in .They drop off quickly . If I have to emergency brake for a vulture on the road turkey , or large animal ( there was a large dog loose on the course that day ) that gives me a little emergency space of someone not being on top of me or on my wheel.
I keep aware who is coming up . Which was this one dude , I was grinding up this 15% grade and he just flashed past - double my ground speed. Just wow. What a badass.
Only other person to pass that AM was a slender young lady with a nice road bike , suspicious sound - she had a rear hub motor . She said " don't feel bad, bro -it's electric !" & " btw 2 miles to go". LOL

I am too foolishly proud to stop for actual rest , resulting in flopping like a fish on the asphalt on that last grade. People came out to see what I was doing on the ground - " I'm okay , just a wuss"
I called out.

Yesterday rode Mt Diablo State Park , South Gate road entrance about 3400 ft of vertical in about 12 miles or so. made good time and I held back a little for the 18% stretch near the very top , knowing today I'd be climbing punchy MTB trails up North.

Passed a ghost bike on way out of park .Rest in peace fellow rider.
6CAF680B-7705-4299-9FD6-B94249C48733.jpeg

today missed my MTB group ride but went solo on the trails. Ok , laid the bike down once . Pulled up hard and stood up , landed off the narrow trail . Brush it off keep going . No blood.

Maybe 1200ft overall gain some punchy climbs and flow trails all single track. Gosh my MTB is loose as a goose on the terrain there. Some the trails covered with golf ball size rocks.

A wildflower I'd only seen twice in Nor cal . Short day as it got hot.
637CBF52-8E1B-4AC0-9798-644342F27F60.jpeg
739BFBE8-CAB6-4785-9A99-D925E30FC8B8.jpeg

today missed my MTB group ride but went solo on the trails. Ok , laid the bike down once . Pulled up hard and stood up , landed off the narrow trail . Brush it off keep going . No blood.

Maybe 1200ft overall gain some punchy climbs and flow trails all single track. Gosh my MTB is loose as a goose on the terrain there. Some the trails covered with golf ball size rocks.

A wildflower I'd only seen twice in Nor cal . Short day as it got hot. View attachment 5943View attachment 5944

Are you wearing illegal shades? :D

Solo 40 miles 16.3 average speed. Off the bike 2 weeks being in Laughlin last weekend. But I felt surprisingly good. Early dinner after. Nice little GPS and light mount. Well built first ride. As good as my $60 mount for $12. Sleek looking and solid. I likey!
20230610_123217.jpg
20230610_115401.jpg
20230610_123217.jpg
20230610_115401.jpg
20230610_115401.jpg
20230610_142842.jpg
20230610_162434.jpg
20230610_142842.jpg
20230610_155410.jpg
20230610_171916.jpg
20230610_120932.jpg