Did You Ride Today?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mr. Beanz, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Bicycleman

Bicycleman Well-Known Member

By Tuesday and Wednesday, it's supposed to be in the 50's. Maybe I will get to resume my long distance training, or just give up trying to do such an early season brevet.

Mr. Beanz likes this.

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

It's 19°. The forecast is now calling for 8" to 12" of No Cycling Today. Another 1" to 3" tomorrow.

JH...wax those ski's up!

If we get 4" to 6" total I will be surprised. The radar looks good right now. So far...so good. We'll see, but definitely no road riding and a fat bike in the woods or on the trails would be the only 2-wheeled vehicles moving.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Maybe in a few more days. Just not in me today.

4. CAMPYBOB

8-12" of snow turned out to be 1/16" ice, mostly cold rain and very few snow flakes. Good call, weather dorks. We dodged a bullet...maybe. But no skiing, that's for sure.

Kind of a fog/ice mist out there right now at 7 PM and the temperature is right at the freezing mark. The snow is wet and heavy as it melts on the ground.

I managed 47 minutes on the fluid trainer at a moderate to high tempo. I felt good and punched the last half of the session pretty good for an old fart.

Headphones cranked with techno, house and trance created permanent brain damage, I'm certain. Not that anyone will notice.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  5. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I hate that we get dane bramage but we play the cards we are dealt. Apparently nothing wrong with my blood. It is perfect. I guess I will just go back to what I do best. Beating the hell out of old age. Bob always refer back to the herd theory. Only the weak, slow brain cell get the axe.

6. Abby25

Abby25 Member

I have not gotten to ride for the last few days. We had temps in only the teens over the weekend and then a snowstorm hit Sunday night and I woke up to 4 inches of snow. We have more coming tonight so it may be a few days before I can ride again. Unfortunately, I live out on a country that does not get treated as quickly after snow hits as it should.

7. CAMPYBOB

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

10" of wet, heavy snow over night. I fired up the Jeep XJ and let it warm up as I took the broom to it.

Abby, I'm also on a township road and it had not been plowed yet. The only bright spot in this storm was that there was no drifting.

The power went out at the house just as I was jumping out of the shower. The stand-by generator will keep us up and going. I'm guessing a lot of limbs, wires and poles are down from the weight of this wet snow and the glaze of ice that's under it.

There's a lot of accidents on the roads and U.S. Route 30 is shut down this morning.

Yeah. I'll be on the trainer for few more days. The weather forecast is still calling for 50° on Friday!

8. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Exactly, it's a ridiculous bike I bought in the supermarket lol. I was looking for one after some time of inactivity and I got a discount coupon so I went ahead and bought it, but I deeply regret it now...

9. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Camelback seems interesting, but for long rides eventually. I like to ride with nothing on me, just some money in my pocket to stop and eat something with my kid. Lately he's my partner. :)

10. CAMPYBOB

42 Minutes on the trainer. Medium to high tempo. Just pounded on it.

Took the skid steer to the driveway and then detail shoveled like a fool. If it hits 50 on Friday and again on Saturday as predicted it will all be melted away.

Missed a post-op dental checkup. The office shut down because the whole town was without power. There were lots of wrecks this morning and power poles were slaughtered one after another. The road crews were no where in sight this morning and driving conditions were sketchy even with a heavy 4-wheel drive lugged tires and locking differentials. My road was plowed at 1 PM...too late. Already made it out and back twice by then.

We dodged the bullet on the first part of the storm, but we were hammered on the second strike.

There will be no road riding for me until sometime next week.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

20160109_161355.jpg

This is my snowbeast. I have kept it around for many years now and it has never been towed. Maybe winched a few times when the boat trailer got stuck in the mud.
    Anyway I did the trainer also and turned a few more watts this time. Starting to feel strong...at least for a young mummy.

12. CAMPYBOB

'88 Bronco?

It's good to hear you're feeling better.

My left side lat's got a workout with the shoveling...all that 'heart attack' wet snow. Meh...I only get rid of it so mama can get around. Real men just use the snow beast to drive OVER it until Spring gets here.

13. CAMPYBOB

One of the fleet. Perfect for hauling the track bike out to pavement for a ride through the falling snowflakes.

Brakes? Brakes?
    We don' neeed no steenkin' brakes!

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Did this mountain bike ride again last eve.

Was like summer over here. Max temp on Garmin was 95 and average of 84. Big variances of temps on the trail. At one point I felt like it was very chilly. Min temp was 64.

[​IMG]

15. Weatherby

Weatherby Well-Known Member

33F and windy. I did an endurance ride of 41 miles with 2200 feet of climbing. Touch under 3 hours. 201 W NP power. Burned 943 Calories..

It was nice to get back on the road even if I had to be careful in spots due to ice on the road.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  16. Ram Shah

Ram Shah New Member

I like cycling but due to a large work load I rarely get to cycle lately. However, to remedy this situation I decided to cycle to work everyday! So I cycle about 8 kms a day. Although it increases my commute time considerably, its totally worth it!

17. CAMPYBOB

51 minutes stuck in Trainer Hell. Totally boring. Beat the shit out of the pedals and got off the rig feeling pretty good. The numbers didn't tell the story. It hurt and I liked it. Watched some training camp videos and tried to keep up.

There's a lot of snow to melt and I hope it's gone gone gone over the weekend. The roads are still in stupid condition for outside riding.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  18. CAMPYBOB

95? NINETY-FIVE?!?!?!?! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH...

64 would be cause to wear shorts and short sleeve jersey...partially unzipped!

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  19. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Another MTB ride today. I did 2 1/4 loops on the trail to make sure I broke 2000 ft gain. Ended up with 14.3 miles and 2139 ft ele gain. Felt a bit tougher today as the ground was softer from the rain.

[​IMG]

20. CAMPYBOB

Nice, Mr. B.! Very nice! 2000' in 14 miles is a hard ride.

Mr. Beanz likes this.