Did You Ride Today?

Another MTB ride today. I did 2 1/4 loops on the trail to make sure I broke 2000 ft gain. Ended up with 14.3 miles and 2139 ft ele gain. Felt a bit tougher today as the ground was softer from the rain.

02.25Loops_zps5hm4zti0.jpg

Wow, indeed a great ride, you have to be in great shape to make this ride. I do miss the times when I could do this carrying a tent and a backpack with me in the bike... :)

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
The video! Plus I finally put on the new matching front tire after about a year ha ha! :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

0MTB21916_zps2jqlw5oj.jpg

Yes. Just rode in the morning around 16 kms at a speed of around 20 kmph. My top speed was around 30 kmph. I usually follow laps so that I don't have to think about the route too much and I can just enjoy the cycling.

Yesterday marked 12 days on the trainer. 1 Hr. of high intensity...boredom.

Today it got up to 63 degrees and I hit the road. Just an easy ride in the warm sunshine and steady 22 MPH winds that gusted to 32 MPH to keep me working hard enough. The roads are still wet with running water from the snow melting, lots and lots of grit and salt by the ton. The road were bright white in some spots white with the salt crystals flashing in the sunlight.

There were a lot of motorcyclists out today also. Spring can't be too far off!

Wow, not sure what got into Gina today but we did 60 miles at 16.4 average. She made it look real easy. At the end of the ride we only had 59 so I asked if we should roll on a bit o make it an even 60. She was the only one who went with me ha ha! Passed several guys today who struggled to keep our wheel and others who couldn't. But Gina just smiled the whole way ha ha! She even passed and dropped a dude on a short climb after he sucked our wheels for about 5 miles. That's a first ha ha! She even had a little energy to act silly at the rest stops.
icon_biggrin.gif

022016E_zpslbezgv9d.jpg

022016A_zpsbmxz7ipo.jpg

022016F_zpssv1wyg3m.jpg

022016N_zps1evjgqaw.jpg

Cloudy, windy and cool yesterday but warm enough to get out for a short ride. Weather was threatening too much to venture too far.

I rode today, just around our village. The weather was nice enough, not too sunny and just enough winds. There's not a lot of people as well on the roads, since it was a weekend. They're probably in the malls or in the city. I love riding my bike during times like this.

After a hiatus of about two weeks, I went out for a 30 miler yesterday over a road route I haven't ridden since last fall. Climbing real hills and accelerating my own momentum sure beats any of the trainers I use.

Illness and logistical issues had kept my workouts indoors. I been focusing on short duration, high intensity power workouts to keep the legs strong. That means intervals at 100% resistance on the workplace spin bikes and 80+ resistance on the nicer bikes at the gym. My average power has dropped 20 to 30W during a workout, but the legs feel it more.

I am also trying to drop a few lbs for a family vacation to Mexico in a few weeks. I;m attending a few core classes and trying to vary my workouts. I have never had a proper 6 pack - but I am getting close.

40 mins on the trainer today. It is a regular Syphon outside, high wind, thunder, horizontal rain.

Never, ever take 2 weeks off! I went riding with a B group yesterday after not riding in 2 weeks(snow, ice, work commitments,etc...) and it was hard. Some of the other riders in the group were also out of practice and we took many stops(the wind was beyond brutal). I also waited plenty of times for others to catch up on the hills. While some like stops, I despise them. When my legs stop moving for too long , the tend to cramp up. 9 miles to go of a 48 miler and I was dropped;)... My legs told me, I slacked off too much for too long.

One very positive takeaway is a group member waited in the parking lot for me and said she drove around to make sure I didn't crash. I don't like to inconvenience people in that way and have ridden back under worse circumstances(15 miles on a flat tire) , but she showed very good character.

Today I spent an hour on the rollers and balanced pretty good. I can use it continuously for 30 minutes now without messing up. Still cant ride one handed though:D

I heard a guy was going to do a record 14 days on a statuionary bike. Hell ,it only seems like 2 weeks. :)

More road time today. 41 miles with 1650' of climbing. The wind was much easier than yesterday! 6 to 12 MPH today and the gusts were much lower than yesterday (32-33 MPH while I was on the road and one at 43 MPH). For once I caught a tailwind on the home leg.

The roads were also much more dry than yesterday.

13 miles yesterday. It got up to 41° and the sun was out. I'll be out again today. Nothing epic...just a quick little maintenance ride.

No riding today. It is raining. I rode 50 miles yesterday to cover for today. Last week I rode 206 miles. On Saturday, I rode 87 miles including a 66 mile brevet for which I received credit, since I now belong to Randonneurs USA. I learned all about controls. Even though the ride was a training ride, to get proof I went to the various control points, I either had to buy something at a store or get the clerk to initial and time stamp my brevet card. I rode a little over10 miles to the start of the ride at a local Mickey D's and then back home.

I don't see me doing a 300k this year, but RUSA does give year end awards if you do a 100k or 200k each month, so that's doable for me, and it will be excellent long distance training for the big stuff if I decide to do something larger than a 200k

My wife thinks I'm suffering a mid-life crisis with all the mileage I am riding. My bike now has more miles on it than my Tacoma.

Never, ever take 2 weeks off! I went riding with a B group yesterday after not riding in 2 weeks(snow, ice, work commitments,etc...) and it was hard. Some of the other riders in the group were also out of practice and we took many stops(the wind was beyond brutal). I also waited plenty of times for others to catch up on the hills. While some like stops, I despise them. When my legs stop moving for too long , the tend to cramp up. 9 miles to go of a 48 miler and I was dropped;)... My legs told me, I slacked off too much for too long.

One very positive takeaway is a group member waited in the parking lot for me and said she drove around to make sure I didn't crash. I don't like to inconvenience people in that way and have ridden back under worse circumstances(15 miles on a flat tire) , but she showed very good character.

Today I spent an hour on the rollers and balanced pretty good. I can use it continuously for 30 minutes now without messing up. Still cant ride one handed though:D

I'd be glad to have a sweet young thing wait for me, anytime in the parking lot.

B group? I have been on so-called B rides that turned into A++ rides. It's all up to the ride leader what the ride becomes, but if somebody advertises B pace, they should at least adhere to that pace and let the rest of the speedies go.

B group? I have been on so-called B rides that turned into A++ rides. It's all up to the ride leader what the ride becomes, but if somebody advertises B pace, they should at least adhere to that pace and let the rest of the speedies go.

It was no ones fault but my own. I've ridden with this group and am usually the guy waiting up for others. The problem was I did 50 miles after a 2 week break and didn't bring any food with me. The first 30+, it was me waiting for others, but i'm still a rookie in terms of strategy and nutrition. I slowed to a screeching halt and was glad no one waited up for me.

She was old enough to be my mom...lol...She's a nice lady and a big fitness buff. She told me during the ride that she's training for an iron man race. 2.2 mile swim, 103 mile bike ride and 26 mile run in one day.I was immpressed

I was riding with this guy, who was way too macho on the bike. We rolled easy for the first mile, and then he took off, running 25 mph. It was all I could do to stay with him, since I needed a much longer and slower warm up. I finally just let him go and slowed down to 15 mph so I could catch my breath. We were doing a metric that Saturday. He continued riding ahead of me with me shouting out what roads to take. Eventually, we made the turn around to head home and now, the moment of truth set in. We were facing a 25 mph head wind. He took a pull on the front, but slowed down and started riding erratically, I pulled around him, put my head down and poured on the steam into the head wind. I knew he was behind me so never looked back. When I realized he wasn't there, I went back for him. He was coming along but struggling. I would drop him 3 more times. He never came out again for another ride. I don't know whether he thought me too weak, or it was that he got dropped 3 times. The moral of that story is that just being fast at the outset doesn't mean a thing if you can't finish the ride.

Reactions: rm57