Did You Ride Today?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mr. Beanz, Nov 19, 2015.

1. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

52 degrees, sunny and I'm heading out now. The wind is steady at 22 MPH with gusts just over 30 MPH.

This is really going to hurt.

2. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

Seems like the last few weekends in NY state were like that as well. The Sunny part makes it painful, but tolerable.

Tried something new today, I'm very much an out of the saddle rider and I did a 44.3 mile ride without getting out of the saddle once. I had to stop my instincts plenty of times, it felt kid of different. My average speed fell a little, but my pace was more steady.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Pretty windy today but I had a great ride. It got pretty warm this afternoon but I am out of gas.

4. CAMPYBOB

OK. That DID hurt.

The wind was going 21 to 29 MPH with gusts to 39 MPH. 45 more miles with The Boy Wonder. It was still just a rolling ride with only 2450' of climbing. The temperature hit 64 degrees and the sun was out in a beautiful blue Spring sky!

I only got one town sign. Old age sucks.

5. Weatherby

Weatherby Well-Known Member

Started the day at 40F and the mercury climbed to 62F with really strong winds. I naturally started downwind. Not sure how strong but the flags were ripping, standing proud. I had some long, long stretches where the speedo read 10.4 mph and my power meter was reading 260 watts on flat roads....pretty much red line for this old guy. it was nice but I am whipped because I went into the 5 hour ride a little tired. Around 70ish miles and 3500-4000 feet.....decent amount of climbing. I stopped for an ice cream cuz I hadn't eaten all day.....well, I actually just wanted an ice cream despite not eating. I guess there is worse but need to get serious. Nice to see other riders on the road for a change. If it is cold or raining, I am the only one out there. Saw hundreds and hundreds today.

6. CAMPYBOB

I looked at the power data and the number of spikes that went over 1000 Watts was unreal. Lots of hard climbs, lots of sprints and attacks and I'm not sure that some of the hard side gusts didn't generate mega-Watts to keep the bike on the road.

I swear that out of 45 miles we had less than 2 miles of a true tail wind! No vector was yielding much relief and it sounds like we all had to deal with it to one extent or the other today.

I saw lots of motorcycles today, but no other cyclists.

7. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

It definitely lifts the spirits to see other riders out there, especially when you're running out of gas.

Weatherby likes this.
  8. Bicycleman

Bicycleman Well-Known Member

It was 30 degrees this morning but soon warmed up to 67. I did 71 miles today with my randonneuring buddies. There were 9 of us altogether. We rode down to NC and stopped at a mom and pop restaurant for breakfast. Well, for me, it was lunch, so I did something I never did, ordered a meal. It wasn't much, just French Toast and coffee. I paid for that, later. The French Toast didn't set well with my stomach and I resisted the urge to throw it up. If I plan to do more than a 200k, I may have a problem eating food. I was beginning to run out of gas because I pulled way too much and mainly on the extreme hills right at the start of the ride. I started dropping back. The ride leader asked me if I was alright. I assured him that I was in great form, albeit off the back. It's just that the wind and the hills started taking their toll. As soon as we stopped in a 7-11, I bought some water and a Hershey bar. That Hershey bar was all I needed, pure sugar. I was now back up with the front riders. Then disaster strikes. One of my peanut butter Nab packs falls out of my jacket pocket. I went back for it. When I get back on the bike, none of my buddies have stopped to wait. Well, I'm a big boy. I have a cue sheet so I started putting the pedal to the metal. I brought in my old racing experience and soon caught up with the the stragglers. That last big hill, slowed the two recumbent riders to a crawl.

All in all, it was a great ride and RUSA picked up three new members. Next week, five of us will be doing a 200k training ride. At first, it was only going to be two of us, and now three others have decided to join so that the day of the official 200k, march 19, they can help out at the control points. Since, I'm new , I will do another 200k. Two weeks between 200k's isn't bad, and it's great training. Already my speed has picked up due to the long distance rides I am doing. I am pleased.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  9. Bicycleman

We were coming back from our randonneur ride today, just before the finish, running 21 and some punk cyclist blew by us. Well, that's okay. He was probably only doing 25 miles, and we had done 71 today.

10. Weatherby

Bicycleman......you doing Tony's 200K in NC or Nick's in DC on the 19th?

Anyway, please listen carefully. Learning when, what, and how much to eat is only second to developing the ability to burn fat when it comes to enjoying distances beyond 200K. You have to learn your eating, what works for you. You can makes lots of mistakes up to 200K. Appropriate fluid intake is part of the equation. Drinking too much fluid is worse than too little. Managing your energy intake and output will determine if you have fun or just survive. Too much to write in a little note but please remember that a big part of earning Super Randonneur status (200, 300, 400, 600Km) is eating and managing time-not necessarily riding hard. Eating a little bit frequently is generally better than a big meal. I only eat a meal if I decide to sleep on longer brevets or Grand Randonnees. One super experienced Rando will gourge himself but he also told me he pukes every ride. I have never puked on a Brevet although I did puke rather spectacularly after a hill climb time trial once.

11. Bicycleman

No, I won't be doing those rides, though I live just 5 miles from the NC line. We will be starting in Suffolk, Va and doing an out and back ride to Skippers, Va, which is just south of the town of Emporia, famous for its speed traps with the beautiful municipal center paid for by speeders from all over the US. It's a RUSA certified ride, not too hilly, but with a few rollers. It's a great ride for me to start out on. I am a veteran of many centuries and with the exception of the Assault on Mt. Mitchell, where I had a cheeseburger, I have never eaten anything more than power bars, or apples and oranges. I don't know if I will do a 300k, but if I do, I definitely won't be eating french toast for lunch. That doesn't work.:eek:

Yeah, I rode a lot harder today than I normally do. Even one of our veteran 1200k riders, who is one of our fastest riders said that today's ride was way too fast because he even slowed down at the end. We had several female triathletes in the fray, and they made us hurt, but it was great training just the same. Yeah, I'll admit, I went too hard but when we hit my old training road, Longstreet Lane with its famous rollers, I pushed it to the limit. I was probably one of the reasons as well as the girls pushing it that the ride was so fast. We won't be going that fast during the 200k, but those triathletes won't be on the ride, either.

#451 Bicycleman, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  12. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Old age sucks? Try death and get back to me on that. I am so grateful I can still turn it up on the climbs and make it back home. I try and earn my libations. It was a good day , I enjoy my solo rides since no one will ride with me. Woosies.

Bicycleman likes this.
  13. Bicycleman

How does one burn fat? I am very lean, about 178 lbs at 6ft 2 inches. I think if I have used up all my carbohydrates, then I'm burning fat, but that's at the point where I bonk. So just burning fat, at least if that's the way I understand it, is going to be painful for me.

14. Bicycleman

What a shame you don't live near me, I'd ride with you.

jhuskey likes this.
  15. Bicycleman

We saw a lot of Harleys pull into the Burger King after we finished the ride. They were eyeing us with contempt. I felt sorry for those unhealthy fat guys on their hogs smoking those cancer sticks.

16. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

50 miles on the trail with Gina and Aimee today. 16.8 average. Gina did really well again this week. Stupid flat trail only gave me like 800 ft over the 50 miles. I was short 100 ft of 8,000 ft gain this week. [​IMG]

Gina & Aimee with a tandem and a couple other guys who hopped on our wheels. They were happy to sit back there for like 12 mile enjoying the draft.

[​IMG]

Uh oh, the dude in the back fell behind somewhere along the way. But Gina had no mercy on anybody today!:p

[​IMG]

She was all smiles again today!

[​IMG]

Bicycleman and Weatherby like this.
  17. Abby25

Abby25 Member

It was a beautiful day here today. I did manage to get in a quick ride this morning. My hubby has been ill all weekend, so I did not want to stay away from the house for long. It was still wonderful to get back out in the fresh air and sunshine.

Bicycleman and Mr. Beanz like this.
  18. Bicycleman

I'm laying off today. It's way too windy, anyway. I rode 107 miles Friday and 71 miles yesterday. I deserve a rest. I will be going out tomorrow morning and riding about 45, and then I will come back and go to the polls to vote in the Super Tuesday primary.

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  19. Bicycleman

Nice cycling legs, but not a good place to sit on a bicycle.

sonipat likes this.
  20. Weatherby

No cycling today. Played golf for the first time in a few years.....used to be a plus one if that means anything to anyone. Shot 78 today. Will do intervals tomorrow or Wednesday depending on how I feel and looking at TrainingPeaks, the lowered fatigue level might have me ready to rip tomorrow. (waiting for the insults....)