Did You Ride Today?

Got a little sidetracked from my planned route, but that just meant doing some additional miles. I did about 20 miles of exploring and then went back to do my planned route. Some of the backroads were rough and gravely and going into one time a commuter bus came within a foot of me, I was very annoyed. It could have gave Maydogs video a run for its money. Today is exactly 6 years since I was hit by a car and had my arm surgically repaired. Glad that it was just a close call today. I did 60 and went to my brothers house to recoup for a few hours. It was 90+ and the course was pretty Hilly.

Ride 1 was 59 miles/15.9mph/3812 ft of climbing. The hills were very concentrated in 30 or so of the miles.

Ride 2 was 20.2 miles/14.7 mph/1325 ft of climbing. It was tough doing part 2 and most of the hill were concentrated in the first 10 miles.

5100+ ft of Elevation and 79.2 miles is probably the most riding I've done so far. I have to keep doing these endurance rides and work on getting faster at them.

It has been 90-95F and just trying to get used to the heat with nice and easy 2-3 hour rides in he hills.

Fortunately no drama with buses or vehicles this week.

I tried, my arm and shoulder strated hurting at 4 miles but I did a bit over 10. I am ready for this damn thing to heal. The sad part is, I didn't injure it. I don't recall having this issue when I was 28.

Just a fast 14 miles before leaving for the family cookout. The lake was crowded with all manner of watercraft and the breeze felt good with the humidity dropping as a cool front came through.

We had three hay mowers running simultaneously. The old Farmall 'C' had a mid-mount 7' sicklebar, the International 455 had a 7' New Holland 477 behind it and the big Massey-Ferguson 1105 had a New Holland 499 Center Steer 14' behind it.

102 miles today. With a 9:30 AM start time it was already getting warm...and would get pretty hot by the time I finished. My car thermometer was showing 89 degrees at the end of the ride and the Garmin had been reading 88 degrees and the sun made my old body feel pretty good.

3800' of climbing on this course, so just a rolling ride with three long hills and nothing that I would call 'killer steep'. The steepest stuff was packed into the first 5 miles after the start and by mile marker 23 the terrain was a lot easier. It was sunny and the wind was 9 to 13 MPH during the session. Only a 16 MPH average with a few spots I put in some efforts to keep the boredom away.

In contrast to Saturday's 101-mile ride, I only used 3 bottles of water on this ride and did a package of Shot Blocks and one gel. I must be acclimating to the Summer heat.

The weirdest thing about this ride?

I did the entire 102.20 miles without unclipping! My feet never touched planet Earth once I was rolling until I got back to the car. No **** break. No water bottle refills. Nothing. Just one stupid phone call I handled on-the-fly (Don't try this at home kids! You'll get killed! Or worse!). I was on a deserted back road and blew the call off in a hurry...back to climbing that long, steady grade.

I know I've done a few Metric Centuries and maybe a 70-miler or so without putting a foot down, but as far as I can remember (JH breakfast syndrome hints not included) this is the first and only full Century I did non-stop, no dabs.

Life is good!

Reactions: rm57
Nice CAMPYBOB, a century with no stops is impressive! Hows the Garmin working for you? Im thinking of getting the 810 bundle for sale 395 on Biketiresdirect(ends tonight), not sure if its worth it. I do tend to get lost out there though,lol...

No riding today, Some rain and my sitting muscles were a little sore. Just a little under 2 mile run at a 6:47 pace. Running seems a little boring to me compared to the bike now.

Nice CAMPYBOB, a century with no stops is impressive! Hows the Garmin working for you? Im thinking of getting the 810 bundle for sale 395 on Biketiresdirect(ends tonight), not sure if its worth it. I do tend to get lost out there though,lol...

Thanks! Like I said, in the 45 years I've been riding I have done a lot of 100+ mile rides and finished off a lot of Metric Centuries and similar length training rides and races without a stop, but never a 100-miler. That was a first as I am remembering my cycling avocation.

Toward the end of the ride...maybe the last 35 miles or so...I was trying and trying to remember anything similar to what was going down as I kept rolling the miles off. I came to the conclusion that as old as I am and as experienced as I am there are still new things to accomplish.

I liked my Garmin Edge 510 and I like my 520 even better.

But, the 810 and 100 have bigger screens and better mapping capabilities and more memory. I did rely on the map (I deleted the factory installed worthless map and put on some tiles from OpenStreetMaps) Saturday, but zooming is a pain in the ass and the small screen, while easy enough to read in bright sunlight is...well...pretty dinky!

For real navigation, the larger Garmins or a cell phone are the obvious choices. I'm a racer head and don't like the 'look' of a big brick on my bike. Thus, the small 510 and 520 size devices for me.

If I were touring It would definitely be a 1000 series for me. Who would notice it among all the baggage?

That is epic campybob!

I did 45 miles in the heat. Surprised myself on my interval hill setting personal best three times in a row despite being 15 smackers overweight but I'll burn it off and then so riding cross country. I hate heat. I'm going to doing a couple hundred in 102F and into 10-15 mph wind. Give me cold any day. Happy rides to all

That is epic campybob!

Thanks! That will probably be the first, the last and the only non-stop 100-miler I'll do! Heheh! It DID feel weird. I got off the bike feeling like I just finished a light training ride or recovery ride...something very bad is going to happen to me!

It'd almost 90° here and humid. I will just do a true recovery ride this afternoon.

Just a 16-mile cruise with 630' of climbing in 88 degree sunshine. It was a beautiful day! The humidity was up a little, but it sure beats snow. The Cicadas were making a racket and I stormed through the last half of the ride after a really slow warm-up.

Just a 18.2 miles/18.3 mph//820 ft....This route is getting so boring, but I try not to get too creative with routes when I ride 5:30 am before work. Still feel a little Sunday soreness, ohh well.

Btw CAMPYBOB, I passed on the Garmin 810, it does seem a little bulky..Also, I don't want to use turn by turn navigation as a crutch. I stink at directions, but always get back home fine. The more I ride, the better ill get at remembering these country roads. I'll look into the 520 when I can get one at a bargain.

I have a day off today, so I cycled in the morning. 24 degrees Celcius, sky clear, now wind - my ideal conditions really, so I kept riding for over two hours. i was cycling on forest paths, however, so I doubt I travelled for more than 18 kilometers total.

Reactions: Uawadall
I went for a 4 hour ride today. It was really relaxing and because most people are at school or at work so there wasn't much traffic/distractions. It was a rare occasion that I had to capitalize on.

Reactions: Uawadall
Oh yes...

36 miles with The Boy Wonder and another friend...they kicked my old ass up every climb we hit. 3 new PR's on climbs and every one was chasing The Boy Wonder.

2000' of climbing and 16.2 MPH average. I hit 45.1 MPH riding over to The Boy Wonder's place...yeah, some stooped steep stuff even if the climbs are fairly short.

It was sunny, humid and about 86 degrees for most of the ride. Fast and fun! If only I could kick out the Watts they have!

Boy Wonder did not believe my non-stop Century. I sent him the link to the ride file...that should shut him up!

Reactions: zipp2001
Finally back on the bike, haven't ridden since last Sunday. had a bunch of family stuff all week that kept me off the bikes. So to help awaken the legs from their vacation I decided to take the TT bike out for a 20 mile ride. Chose a different route than normal, not a good idea. I had to come to a track stand 3 times on the way out (10 miles out and back ) which killed any momentum I had each time. Temp was a cool 74 degrees with a 10-12 wind, which was a headwind the first half. Just never got into a good rhythm the first half, but once I turned around I got my breathing under control and felt stronger. Finished with 21.3mph which would have been far worst if I didn't get it together the second half, I'll have to revisit that course again when I'm clicking.
Zipp TT Bike 2.jpg

22 miles in high humidity, overcast sky and constant thunder in the distance. No rain and the sun came out for the final three miles or so. Only 1200' of climbing, but the stretch of rolling hills felt like work...sweating and no evaporation.

I had a car hanging out behind me for three or four miles of rollers with one tough climb. They didn't come close or even try to pass so I decided to give them a show. I pounded it out as hard as I could until looking back and noticed they had turned into a driveway. I hope they appreciated the effort! The legs opened up and after the climbing speed work we did yesterday I was kind of surprised I could light it up a little.

Nice ride!

It's still thundering off to the North almost two hours after finishing the ride, but no rain so far. I got lucky again.

I just couldn't get yesterdays TT Bike ride out of head at work today. I wasn't disappointed with the effort, just disappointed with the consistency with my power output. So what should have been 2 hours playing in the woods today turned into back to back TT Bike days. So I revisit the same route but about 30 minutes later than yesterday so I didn't have to deal with slowing for any school buses. Was a lot happier today because my power output was much more even for the whole ride, even if my legs had a tad less power than yesterday. Temp still cool at 73 degrees with 6-8 wind, and a 22.9 mph ride. Saturday looks like it will be getting warmer, but Sunday looks like a rain filled day. Have a great weekend everyone !