Did You Ride Today?

27 Miles, around 1250' of climbing. 16.5 MPH average. The wind was tough at a constant 8 to 16 MPH with gusts to 23 MPH.

I'm with you, Zipp. Too old to give a damn about my beliefs and who they ********.

Say a prayer for the five cyclists killed in Michigan yesterday. God speed and tailwinds in Heaven.

Had my best ride "in a while" yesterday. Less arm pain and gas left on the last climb.That's the hell of my route as the last climb to get back home is a 20% half mile hill and it doesn't care how many miles you have already done. Looks like a good weekend for the lake. Hate that Mr. B left. I miss a lot of former and or inactive members that have come and gone. Life goes on and changes for all of us. BTW: Bob the house near me sold for 300K I hear. That was a steal, hope they are good neighbors.

Yes, a hellova good deal!

A friend has theirs listed at $385K right now with 18 acres, but the house is no where near as nice as the one next to you.

I used to live atop a 1/4-mile climb that was around 10-12%. I thought that was a tough way to end a ride. 20%?!?! For 1/2-mile?!?! Ouch!

I've been slacking since June 1, so I went for a longer ride today. 25 kilometers total, but in a mountainous area (I'm visiting my parents now), so it took a few hours. I liked the fact the weather was very good, warm but not too hot and sunny, with a gentle wind :)

Got my butt handed to me today. Went out for 25 miles after work on no set route but had to deal with a tough wind. Temp was 69 degrees and the wind was 17-20mph with 30mph gusts. glad I had my climbing wheel on and not the 81mm because the side wind was killer. Had to fight like a dog just to average 15.8mph, and now it's time to fill the legs up for tomorrow.

26 Miles, 825' of climbing under beautiful 70 degree sunny sky. Just spinning around and only a couple short high tempo efforts. Other than that, medium gears, easy stuff. Tomorrow will be short & sweet and Saturday I'll try and get a long ride in that has lots of work on the course.

40K Ohio Senior Olympic Road Race, finished in second place. It was sunny and 80 degrees with the wind going 6 to 8 MPH.

Three laps of an 8-mile course with minimal climbing. I heard guys *****ing about the 'tough rollers' while warming up...I snickered.

I pulled the field for half of the first lap. A team mate punched it for the first selection. Easy peasy so far. We caught the field that started 2 minutes ahead of us and they were chasing escapees. We went right through it and the attacks started in earnest. We caught their escapees and picked it up a notch with the added horsepower.

Only the team mate that did the first punch and I made it through the next series of shedding riders. We caught the remnants of the next age group and after we went through a few more surges, it was down to 7 of us as we took the bell for the last lap.

It picked up going to the line and just before the 200M board my team mate floored it. My craptastic sprint was its usual total **** and I hit the line 30-40' feet behind him for the Silver.

Weird race. Some guy would get ahead of me and spray buckets of sweat on me. I never broke a sweat and I swear that most of my workout sessions with The Boy Wonder are much, much harder than this race was. I had an easy time drinking and carrying on tactic conversation with my buddy was easy. I found myself riding way out of the draft a lot...just didn't seem to need the shelter today.

22 point something average and only around 800' of climbing on this flat'ish 4-corner course. It was fun seeing some of the old gang again.

Reactions: zipp2001
Congrats on the 2nd place finish !

Spent the day after work with my grand buddies, and set up the TT bike for a long one tomorrow.

I rode forever in the heat, loved it. It's very hot here, but I caught a good few miles between hills on the trail that were perfectly shaded, finished off somewhere around 10-12 miles today. Got a bike again a couple of days ago, I was already pretty fit so pumping out 10~20 miles seems pretty doable

40K Ohio Senior Olympic Road Race, finished in second place. It was sunny and 80 degrees with the wind going 6 to 8 MPH.

Three laps of an 8-mile course with minimal climbing. I heard guys *****ing about the 'tough rollers' while warming up...I snickered.

I pulled the field for half of the first lap. A team mate punched it for the first selection. Easy peasy so far. We caught the field that started 2 minutes ahead of us and they were chasing escapees. We went right through it and the attacks started in earnest. We caught their escapees and picked it up a notch with the added horsepower.

Only the team mate that did the first punch and I made it through the next series of shedding riders. We caught the remnants of the next age group and after we went through a few more surges, it was down to 7 of us as we took the bell for the last lap.

It picked up going to the line and just before the 200M board my team mate floored it. My craptastic sprint was its usual total **** and I hit the line 30-40' feet behind him for the Silver.

Weird race. Some guy would get ahead of me and spray buckets of sweat on me. I never broke a sweat and I swear that most of my workout sessions with The Boy Wonder are much, much harder than this race was. I had an easy time drinking and carrying on tactic conversation with my buddy was easy. I found myself riding way out of the draft a lot...just didn't seem to need the shelter today.

22 point something average and only around 800' of climbing on this flat'ish 4-corner course. It was fun seeing some of the old gang again.

That 80 year old dude smoke you again? You will get him next year.

Good job old man! One of the greatest aspects of cycling is, it can be a life time activity if you don't sustain serious injuries.

I'll be doing less miles for a while, just enough to keep my fitness up, maybe 40-50 miles a week? I'll be going full steam ahead again when I take a work weekend in early July. Todays ride was the old 18.2 mile route, 18.5mph/850 ft.

6 miles with a backpack, only to realize I rode 2 miles farther from Starbucks towards apparently the only part of town where there isn't a starbucks nearby -_- I'm glad to be back, but I don't need to be waking up to 8 miles on accident, that's a 25% stupidity tax

Took the TT bike out today, and ran into some rain. Was planning on a longer ride (50 miles), but once it started to rain I cut it in half and only did 25. Overall it was fun playing in the rain for a bit.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That 80 year old dude smoke you again? You will get him next year.

Two 68-year old guys were tough. One seemed to believe his bike only had an 11 and a 12 in the back. Major torque!

About five years a go I also finished in second place...to another guy. That time there was an 85-year old gentleman of obvious European descent riding. I did not see him this year...

I am in shock at how many 'older' riders and racers there are in my area. There are only a few young folks taking up road racing.

Good job old man! One of the greatest aspects of cycling is, it can be a life time activity if you don't sustain serious injuries.

Who you calling 'old'?!?! Yeah, I guess I am! And it sucks! But, I can still have fun!

And you are correct. Unlike running, cycling can take you through life. You've probably seen those stupid T-shirts that say, "Ride A Bike-Define Your Life". Well, as stupid as the statement looks on some skinny dude at a BBQ or what not, it really is a truism.

Training and racing has framed my life. It's been a long, long road so far and would not back track a mile of it.

Reactions: zipp2001
Took the TT bike out today, and ran into some rain. Was planning on a longer ride (50 miles), but once it started to rain I cut it in half and only did 25. Overall it was fun playing in the rain for a bit.

Good tunes, Zipp! It IS good to be alive!

71 miles this morning. It was humid and it got up to 91 degrees by the time I climbed off. The damned wind was a steady 15 to 18 MPH with gusts to 28 MPH pretty much from the start to the finish. The headwind sections were a struggle and the 3350' of climbing added to the work load...not that I was minding it. It was a beautiful day! The sun was out and traffic was light.

I did have to take two detours around fresh chip & seal roads, but no biggee.

Went out a little fast for a shake out ride and it was a constant fight to stay in a lower gear and keep the pedal pressure light. The heat and humidity I shook off, but the wind just crushed me and the long, headwind climbs of the last 20 miles or so took some serious focusing on to keep a good tempo on.

I must have recovered fast. I took the wife out for supper and then did some shopping...felt pretty good for the effort.

72 Miles this morning. The wind was a little bit better...a little! Only 13 to 15 MPH steady and a tail wind for the final 30 miles.

Just under 3000' of climbing. I was shot from Friday's race and yesterday's high heat, humidity and wind efforts so I kept the throttle under control as I worked my was North to a couple of resort lakes. Boats and Harleys filled the roads, but overall traffic was light on an early Sunday morning.

I spun on the little ring into the stiff headwind a LOT! I had to keep the pedal pressure light because my dead legs said so.

It was a glorious morning to be turning them over! On the way back I stopped in a very small town, in search of the guy that got me into cycling back in 1972. We went to college together and he loaned me a bike for a couple of weeks. An older gentleman that was shoveling mulch onto the community flower garden at town center pointed me to his house, but no one was home...just a terrier barking from inside the living room window.

I returned to the older gentleman and a woman that lived across the road from my old college friend. They were to give him the message that CampyBob had come calling. He'll know who...

I kept trying to light the afterburners, but there wasn't much for horsepower even with that nice tail wind pushing me along. I sailed over the rollers and hills easily enough and could run the big gears on the down grades, but there was little conviction in my pedal stroke. I tacked another loop onto the metric and reflected on how much fun the morning had been.

Reactions: rm57
Took off from my basement and rode out 24 miles and met my wife who drove out to a flatter route. It is a good way to keep her riding and spares me from the hell of the last 8 miles of the return home. Actually the final 2 miles are the purgatory. Dang hot riding though.

Been riding a lot. Going cross country. Went from end is Montana to west Yellowstone thru Yellowstone thru grand Tetons over badger pass at midnight into Dubois. Garmin says 225 miles 17000 feet. I know I went over the continental divide at least five times. I'm sleeping tons and taking it relatively easy. 1550 miles in 9 days or 10. I lost count. Holed up in bike shop getting some fixing done. Pouring and lightning anyway. I'm cold and soaked. Perfect.

Reactions: rm57 and zipp2001
Holed up in bike shop getting some fixing done. Pouring and lightning anyway. I'm cold and soaked. Perfect.

Life is good! You will look back on this trip as one of your life's greatest adventures!

I blew up a Harley and was stuck at the H-D dealership in Charlotte, N.C. You would think it was the end of the world on a cross country ride. It turned out to be one of the best adventures I ever had.

Only 11 miles at a sprint this afternoon. I had to get home to wash and wax two of the fleet and detail the interiors.

Now...which would we rather be...Weatherby, wild and free? Or me, cleaning the family trucksters? My vote is to be in Weatherby's high-mileage shoes, lost somewhere in the Great American West!

Have fun, W! And be careful out there on the road!