Did You Ride Today?

Been riding a lot. Going cross country. Went from end is Montana to west Yellowstone thru Yellowstone thru grand Tetons over badger pass at midnight into Dubois. Garmin says 225 miles 17000 feet. I know I went over the continental divide at least five times. I'm sleeping tons and taking it relatively easy. 1550 miles in 9 days or 10. I lost count. Holed up in bike shop getting some fixing done. Pouring and lightning anyway. I'm cold and soaked. Perfect.

Way to go Weatherby keep us posted when you can, enjoy, stay safe, and may the wind be at your back.

Broke a chunk of my right pedal off on a fattie rock today, ended up having to ride with half a pedal to the dollar store to grab some superglue, only to discover they were completely and utterly sold out??? Had to ride another 2 miles to another dollar store, only to not let the glue sit long enough and have to wait another 30 mins for it to dry -_-

Edit: Should mention the pedal only broke because I had to bailout, probably would have been my kneecap hitting that rock if I didn't ditch the bike, my own fault but hey :)

Edit: Should mention the pedal only broke because I had to bailout, probably would have been my kneecap hitting that rock if I didn't ditch the bike, my own fault but hey :)[/QUOTE]

Better the pedal than the kneecap !

Went out for a 20 mile rolling, rolling, rolling ride after work today. Temp. was 80 degrees with a 13-15 mph wind, and just plan had a fun ride. I set a moderate tempo on the 3 longer climbs, and lost myself on some very nice roads which is rear for this region.

26 miles, 920' of climbing so a pretty flat course, 16.3 MPH avg., 76 degrees and sunny. The wind was almost calm at 3 to 5 MPH. It was a beautiful afternoon to be out. The roads I was on were pretty much all mine and I made the most of them by just spinning along and taking in the sights.

I saw that the car mechanic used by a training partner added a second silver C5 Vette to his stable! I'll have to stop and talk to him about it. He was riding his Spesh Roubaix (I think that's what he has...been awhile) after dark one night and headed back to his house/garage to do some mechanical work for a customer when an oncoming car blinded him with its headlights.

He rode off the road and hit a mailbox. The fall broke his arm! He's a nice guy, but that may have ended his riding...or at least I have not seen him out since that incident.

I saw a couple Little League baseball games being played and the homecoming rides being readied for a festival in another small town. Farmers were baling hay all over and the corn is a foot tall in most fields.

Like I said, it was a beautiful day to ride!

Took the TT bike out for 25 miles, with 22 miles being the bike course for the Mass State Triathlon that I'll be Marshaling in July. The weather was 80 degrees with 12-15 wind, seamed warmer with the sun beaming down on me. The course is what we like to call New England rolling and doesn't have to many areas where your sheltered from the wind. The legs started off heavy until in decided to attack the first real climb, and then they woke up. Finished off at 21.6mph, then took the wife out for a 2.5 mile walk to unwind the legs. Looks like the weather is going to be ride able threw the weekend.

Finally pulled the trigger on a garmin 520! This was the first time i've ever tracked heart rate, cadenced looked at data during a ride on a screen. I didn't have cadence when it was displayed and was a bit surprised. It felt like the way I usually do my 1 hour rides, my cadence was a low 73 rpm's. My heart rate average 155 and max 169.

18.6 mph/18.2 miles/770 ft. The data shows that I may be pushing to high of a gear to often. Next ride, i'll pay attention to my cadence and see how the ride goes if I up it to the 90's and use lower gearing. No guarantee that it'll be faster, but I bet my legs will feel fresher.

HR this afternoon: 153 Avg. / 185 Max.

27 miles, 1400' of climbing. I ran into 3 very fast gentleman from the Outspoken Wheelmen and they were just ****ing hammering their way through a 71-mile ride under threatening sky, 83 degree temps and high humidity. The wind was 10 MPH steady out of the South and we were burying ourselves.

They were 53 years old, 47 years old and I didn't hear the third rider announce his age, but I would put him near 40. They were all three fit and fast. Up every hill we charged. When two of then bunny hopped a fast RR track grade crossing I knew I had my work cut out...

They dropped me once (not warmed up when I met them), dropped each other a half-dozen times, one off the back. No quarter asked or given! We all did wait on the hindmost to return to the group.

We stopped in a small town and discussed life, their route and the fact that a guy recently retired from my shop knew one of them and had discussed him at length with me. I told him I already felt like I knew him just a little. Nice guys, all three of them.

I decided to keep rolling and they headed off to the third leg of their journey before turning for home.

It was finders-keepers night as I found a cheap Frost Cuttlery folding 5" knife, a tarp strap and a shiney new 1/2" grade 5 bolt beside the knife.

The humidity and effort must have been real because when you stink so bad even you can smell yourself...shower time! Washing machine through the cycles twice time!

Finally pulled the trigger on a garmin 520!

Cool! You'll love it and you will hate it. That's how Garmin works...or doesn't work.

It's a fantastic little tool and when you get the local map tiles loaded on it and maybe a custom app or two (the Dashboard app is way cool!) you'll find it a valuable training motivation device.

When power meters really get cheap cheap cheap I want to pair one to the Garmin and enjoy all the Watts I don't have!

Oh, avg. cadence this afternoon was 78 and a max. of 118 (no sprints, lots of climbing so those figures are about the norm for my old tired ass).

Just an easy 12 miles this afternoon over flat roads...after mowing for a few hours. I'm going to ride longer tomorrow and I'm hoping to get some miles in with an old friend.

What? Am I the only shmuck still riding?

101 miles, 4000' of climbing, 92 degrees hot, sunny, light wind at 5 MPH. Just a medium tempo ride with a few good periods of pounding out the Watts.

I ran into an old friend that I met and rode with back in the early 1970's. He's going to be 75 and still riding. He was on his way back to his farm after riding 7 miles into town for breakfast and a newspaper and was on the 7-mile run home when I caught up to him.

I also saw four other road riders out enjoying the morning before the heat got too bad and one mountain biker riding the road. As I was on my warm down loop I saw a local female triathlete keeping her legs loos with a short ride before tomorrow's ITT in a nearby town.

The Boy Wonder and his buddy are down at Hincapie's Gran Fondo in Asheville, N.C. this weekend. 109 miles and 10,500' of climbing. Ouch...

Reactions: zipp2001
What? Am I the only shmuck still riding?

Been riding every day since Tuesday but working on setting up my amazon store in-between rides and videos and work. Mondays are my day off and I'll get some kind of ride in the other days weather permitting.

Went out for 45 this morning on a real roller coaster route. I'm just not a morning person anymore but seeing I promised the wife I'd mow the lawn today I got out early for me (10am), and jumped off the bike and grabbed the mower. The temp. was 79 at start with a light wind. The good thing is the real climbing didn't start until I had 5 miles in the legs so it did give them a little time to wake up. The main goal today was to keep all the climbs in double digits for speed, and worked hard keeping that goal.

No Bob I did 20 this morning after the weekly grocery shopping etc. Not an epic ride for me but I rode the miles as opposed to some slug that layed in bed waiting to die from personal neglect. This **** gets harder every year. Lemond is full of ****.:)

This **** gets harder every year. Lemond is full of ****.:)[/QUOTE]

Amen to that jhuskey !

Not today, but yesterday was such a perfect day. Rode about 45 km to a nearby lake and the same distance back. Meanwhile, we got a nice swim and the weather was perfect. Such a perfect day, really wish there were more of those.

Great weather today. I was on the road early. Once again nothing epic but felt good.

Just a 31-mile 'shake the legs out' ride with only 1400' of climbing. It hit 90 degrees and the wind was just a little stiff...OK, it was more tire legs than the wind, but the headwind leg seemed slow and I was putting in too much effort for the speed.

Like JH said...GREAT weather! Hot...sunny...a little humid...perfect! Way better than snow!

Not today, but yesterday was such a perfect day. Rode about 45 km to a nearby lake and the same distance back. Meanwhile, we got a nice swim and the weather was perfect. Such a perfect day, really wish there were more of those.

I don't see an edit button, so I'd like to correct myself here. It was 45 km total, meaning roughly 22.5 km both ways. I typed that out and thought to myself, "wow, that's crazy" and then called a friend with whom I rode and he corrected me.

Went out with my old running partner who has been getting his feet wet in the road bike world the last month. He signed up for The Mass State Triathlon that I'll be Marshaling in July. Seeing it's right in our back yard at Lake Dennison we went out and rode the bike course (22 miles) with a total of 27.54 miles. Temp was 87 degree and a light wind at 5-7mph, just a great day for a ride. This was more of a teaching ride, going over climbing technic, and course breakdown. I would go off the front and act as a carrot for him at times to help push him, and a times hang back to watch him. He did at lot better than our last ride together and is becoming more stable and predictable on the bike. The fun part is this is our fourth ride together and the third time he's hurled his breakfast. Sent him home with some homework to do until or next ride.

No Bob I did 20 this morning after the weekly grocery shopping etc.

I did the grocery run AFTER the 101-mile ride in the heat. Yeah, that sucked worse than all the hills on the Century, combined.

You're correct. It does not get easier, but I'm chucking out solo Century rides in hilly terrain with ease. I'm going to try and get 7,000' of climbing on one and see how that feels. I'm not sure I would want to tackle that Gran Fondo with its 10,500' of vertical!