Did You Ride Today?

Today got out early 10:30am for me, and rolled out a 55.78 mile New England roller route. It had two main climbs followed by roller after roller, and one 2 mile section of road that just plain rattled your teeth. Great way to kill your rhythm, but was feeling strong throughout. Finished off at 17.6 mph but felt I could have left a little more out there.
Checking the weather it looks like rain moving in over night and raining all day Sunday. Lets see what mode I'm in when I wake up as to if I'm in the mode to get wet. Or should I say if I'm in the mode to tear the bike down and clean it after it gets wet.
I haven't done a group ride in 3 years, but I will go out with one other rider once and a while. The little husband and wife shop the next town over kept asking me to come out on their Tuesday night group ride ever time I went to their shop. I'd seen them out before and it's usually only 10 to 12 riders, so I decided one Tuesday night 3 years ago to show up. Mind you the shop owner when he would ask would always tell me to bring my TT bike. Look I know how group rides are and I'd be looked down on, and not welcomed openly. Let's just say a couple of riders weren't happy and I think they thought they would work on dropping me by selecting a hard rolling route. My TT bike is geared 54/39 11/21 and once one would attack I would reel him in, and then a second would go, and I'd reel him in also. This went on between 3 of us for over and hour, and the rest of the riders (11) were nowhere to be found. It settled down for awhile but they weren't talking to me just each other. Then with about 8 miles from the shop when the course some what flattens out to light rollers I attacked and got a gap and went straight into TT mode and soloed in almost a minute ahead of the two chasers.
The shop owner hasn't bugged me to come out for their ride since, I guess I hurt the roadie's feeling's. What the Hell I'm a roadie to, just that I use a TT bike a lot doesn't make me any different. Some groups still look down on TT/Tri bikes thinking the riders can't handle a bike as good as them, or can't climb with such bikes. I never once went onto my aero bars until I attacked and was upfront alone. I still see them out once and a while on Tuesdays, and give them a nod and smile.

Life is Great !

None of the local clubs allow TT bikes or aero clip on bars on group rides. Too many guys no where near the brakes and drafting. It isn't that they are looked down upon, it's just that it isn't safe.

37 miles in between the heavy morning rain and light afternoon rain. 2100' of climbing in humidity you could cut with a knife. The jersey was glued on, the helmet pads were soaked and the gloves needed wringing out they were so wet.

While the roads were drying off after the morning downpour I cleaned the chain and greased the derailleur pulley bearings. I gave everything a detail cleaning and inspected every square inch of the frame, fork and components.

I kept the tempo low-moderate and was doing more spinning light gears than pushing the big dogs. The wind was 3 to 9 MPH and building as the light, fluffy clouds in a light blue sky started getting darker and darker. My climbing was just so-so today and if it didn't come naturally I didn't even try to find a tempo...just left it whatever gear and worked over the top.

I did feel good on the flats and let it roll a time or two, but mostly just relaxed and did tempo work and stayed on the drops to keep the power low when I was into the wind.

I got back to the car and headed home. 15 minutes after I arrived the light rain started with low, rolling thunder in the distance. Rain on and off for the next two days...maybe.

Yesterday (Sat) was a bummer. Had 37 mi early am ride planned but didn't sleep well and had an afternoon wedding to attend and was worried if I didn't catch a rest it would ruin my day. So I ended up with Fri/Sat off. The heavens opened up with torrential rain yesterday, I think that's good because it cleans the road and shoulder (in most places) and washes the glass away. Woke up early today and took a short 15 min drive to take pos'n for ride at dawn. Early Sunday am is the absolute best time to ride, and better yet, it was cloudy, crappy w/ some showers which likely kept people at home and off the road. Even the medium town i went through at 7:30am was deserted. I did 56 fairly hilly miles(~3600ft) with one sharp 700ft no-let-up climb that had the breath going deep, down the other side and then up again another 750ft but moderate pitch where i could keep the tempo going w/o stressing.

This is my 3rd year of big time road cycling and I am starting to really learn the best routes in my radius. I plan it out, but often can't tell from the maps which roads are dirt, which I try to avoid. Felt strong all the way through, likely cause 2 days off, which has been a rarity this summer. Didn't even finish my 2nd water bottle today because it wasn't hot and didn't stop to eat my Swiss Choc treat. IMHO it's good to train the body to burn the fats. Another bummer, about mi 40 my computer stopped working, likely because the pelting rain twisted my wheel sensor around. So no mph today but i got the miles.
I broke 1K today, and logged my highest month of 616 mi.

I did 56 fairly hilly miles(~3600ft) with one sharp 700ft no-let-up climb that had the breath going deep, down the other side and then up again another 750ft but moderate pitch where i could keep the tempo going w/o stressing.
[/QUOTE]

You're not alone in that, I did 1 climb that was 1.2 miles and 450 ft and another that was 2.4 and 400 ft separated by a few miles. I rarely breath like that, but that first short steep one did me in,lol...

19.6 miles/17.4 miles/1020 ft of climbing. The roads were wet, I was sore and really just going through the motions. I enjoy riding 99% of the time, this was the other 1%(was a just ok ride). I've done this route 2 times now, it very scenic and relatively traffic free. I took it easy on some of the downhills due to the unfamiliarity and slickness.

Just a rushed 33 miles with just under 1400' of climbing. The sun was out and it was 91 degrees, but the humidity was 84% and there was a 70% chance of rain from early afternoon until dusk. The wind was graphed at 3 MPH at the start of the ride to 8 MPH by the time I climbed off.

I had no huge power and like U, I was going on training and technique more than commitment. I did do a few miles with the effort rising, but I gave it up quickly and settled back into just clocking the miles off. Swigging a little water here...ate a Shot Bloks there...checked out the 7' tall cement yeti with a cement cannon (doesn't every yeti own is own muzzle loading cannon?)...not much going on except getting in a nice ride before the next round of thunderstorms moves across the area.

As I got 10 miles out the sky was threatening rain and I turned into the wind for the run home. 79 RPM avg. just keeping them turning over. I felt great, with the sun shining on me and the heat felt fantastic! I love Ohio in the summer time.

30 miles but ran out of gas in the final climbs, so I struggled the last 2 miles. My jersey was glued to me with sweat and salt. Blood glucose was 69 when I got home. I need a new plan for my blood doping. :).

I remember seeing a fellow shooting his belly up at a rest stop on a 65-mile ride. IIRC he had to check his blood sugar every 2 hours during riding. Maybe you could hit up Team Type 2 or the new Novo Nordisk team up for advice. Both teams had/have diabetic riders. You would think there would be some data for athletes there.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/

Otherwise call Vino at: Astana 1-800-you-dope. He'll hook you up!

Looks like the legs get 2 days off, because it rained all day and Mondays I don't ride because of evening appointments that take up my whole day. So down to the bike cave to switch out cassettes, brake pads, and put on the climbing wheels. The extra day off should give me some nice fresh legs for Tuesdays 2 hours of thigh burners.Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I remember seeing a fellow shooting his belly up at a rest stop on a 65-mile ride. IIRC he had to check his blood sugar every 2 hours during riding. Maybe you could hit up Team Type 2 or the new Novo Nordisk team up for advice. Both teams had/have diabetic riders. You would think there would be some data for athletes there.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/

Otherwise call Vino at: Astana 1-800-you-dope. He'll hook you up!

I don't qualify for Team Type II. It would have to be Team Type I for me.

I am in training for old age and don't plan to stop although a gradual slow down may be likely.

31 Miles with 1050' of climbing in 89 degree sunshine. Boy, did that feel good! Just a 17.4 MPH effort with the emphasis on keeping the legs turning over. It was a lot of trying to stay out of the red and orange zones and mostly succeeding while keeping the tempo high and still recovering as fast as possible. The humidity was high again. The HR strap was soaked, the jersey was soaked, the helmet pads were soaked...you get the picture.

I managed 84 RPM avg., which is about the norm for a medium high tempo (old age sucks and kills RPM's...at least in my case!). The wind was running 8 to 10 MPH into my face for the first half of the ride and that pushed the heart rate to 152 BPM avg. on the course. I only hit a max. of 175 BPM so it wasn't a max. effort ride.

I did hit a couple of roads I haven't been on in years. One was just in terrible shape...rough as a cob. I was off the gas for about a half mile trying to find a line through the holes and ruts and patches. Yay Ohio!

I felt pretty good and really enjoyed the workout. It was well worth the time and sweat invested.

Reactions: Weatherby
I did a 30 mile ride with 1800 feet. Did my best 5 minute power output in recent memory. Not nothing special but 342 watts is good for an old man like me. After a rough winter and spring, it feels good to be able to go hard again.

Reactions: zipp2001
I live a life of danger and excitement!

My O.E.M. build Campy Record 5-Arm crankset had two worn rings and I had already replaced the 53 ring once. So I ordered a new style 4-arm crankset instead of springing for replacement rings and new bearings. It was only $30 more, so why not?

I R&R'd the crankset and since I already had a .5 MM shim behind the left side outboard bearing cup all it needed behind the wave washer was a .010" shim and the endplay was perfect. Just spot on for pre-load. That's right. Alf...I NEVER checked my Q-factor to see if I had a 1 MM 'air gap' between the crank spindle halves at the Hirth joint!

Like I said...a life of danger and excitement!

After cleaning up the tools, the bike and myself I only had time for a quick 20-mile test ride with just under 1000' of climbing. It was kind of a hot day at 89 degrees and the sun was perfect for sweating up a storm. The late afternoon glare and long shadows told me the days are getting shorter.

The legs were a little slow after yesterday and the only efforts were to test the crankset installation for the dreaded UltraTorque Click. So far, quiet and smoot as silk.

Hmmmm? Should I go for a Chorus EPS build package and drill the frame for internal wire routing? I'm still jones'ing for EPS!

Somewhere between 88 degrees and 93 degrees I found 22 miles of roads that had not yet melted. Only 700' of climbing and I kept the tempo a reasonable 17 MPH. The Dry Lube on the chain had baked away and it was squeaking and creaking as it rolled over the cassette teeth under power.

The sun was really hot and it was a dry breeze going 5 to 7 MPH. I stopped and shot the breeze with one of the local farmers after the ride and he was surprised how short the ride was! Heheh! Yeah, it's pretty warm out there right now!

If the rain stays away, I'll try and get a long one in over the weekend.

One of the longer stretches off the bike this summer, been crazy busy this week. So today I had a sales call after work which extended my day almost 2 hours. Leave the sales call and on the way home I get stuck in a 4 mile back-up because of a car accident. By the time I make it home it's starting to get late so I grab the TT bike and roll out a 15 mile ride. The temp has been cool around these parts lately 78 Degrees, with an 8-10 mph wind. Legs were a little heavy and just couldn't get my breathing under control.

Great to be back on the bike, taking the TT bike to work tomorrow for a longer ride.

FTA:
Not to put too fine a point on it,
Let me be the bee in your bonnet!

Insect sting No.2 for the year this afternoon.

A yellow jacket flew into a helmet vent. Not knowing what it was, I put my finger into the vent to get it out...bad move. It came away from the helmet like a pet riding my finger.

Zaaappppp! Got me on the side of the index finger. Like a little electrical shock. No real pain or swelling, unlike that last ******* that got me right between the eyes.

An after work ride, I felt sluggish and gassed. Didn't use the garmin because, I wanted to see where I am without using in ride data as a tool. I really enjoy before work rides rather than after work ones.bFinished with:
18.2 miles/18.9 mph/920 ft .

FTA:
Not to put too fine a point on it,
Let me be the bee in your bonnet!

Insect sting No.2 for the year this afternoon.

A yellow jacket flew into a helmet vent. Not knowing what it was, I put my finger into the vent to get it out...bad move. It came away from the helmet like a pet riding my finger.

Zaaappppp! Got me on the side of the index finger. Like a little electrical shock. No real pain or swelling, unlike that last ******* that got me right between the eyes.

Obviously caused by global warming and the Confederate flag.