Did You Ride Today?

No sleep last night. Our community is a disaster area. Looking out my window you can't tell anything has happened.

I wondered when you were going to check in. We've been watching the videos and Gatlinburg looks like it got hit hard. I watched a phone video recorded by two guys fleeing the area and it looks like they drove right through Hell. There was nothing to be seen but falling limbs and trees and embers in the air. When they drove their sport ute over a fallen tree trunk that was still shooting flames into the night sky...well, that was scary!

I rode my Harley around South Dakota a few months after fire destroyed a boat load of acres of prairie and woods. It was weird the way some areas were untouched while others were destroyed.

I hope they get everything under control fast! We heard one of the Georgia fires will burn another two or three weeks!

Just 18 miles this afternoon in warm 60 degree air! The sun was shining and the wind was 8 to 12 MPH...far lower than what JH had last night driving that fire through the trees at 50 MPH!

Reactions: jhuskey
JH, I just reviewed about 200 pics of your locale...not good. That is massive destruction for such a small area.

Nice and warm today at 56 degrees, but it rained all day. So a 40-minute session on the fluid trainer had to do. A hard one at L4 and L5 after a 10-minute warm up.

JH, I just reviewed about 200 pics of your locale...not good. That is massive destruction for such a small area.

Bad **** and worse than is portrayed. Many lost everything. I have been busy trying to obtain housing for our displaced employees and get them paid. I felt guilty turining on my Christmas lights this evening since myself and mine are intact.

Sorry but let me add, we here are for the most part hard working individuals and are not whining snowflakes, others would cry , oh me, in a similar situation. We appreciate aid but neither expect or demand it.

You're a stand up guy, JH! You are correct about the folks that come from that part of America. They will rebuild better than before the fire. It will be costly and there's much to mourn, but Tennessee will prevail.

Just an easy 11-1/2 mile cruise through Amish country this afternoon. It was cold enough at 38 degrees and there was a light mist of rain in the air and a few of those white flake things floating down in the 13 to 16 MPH breeze. The gusts were up to 22 MPH. No worries! Let's ride!

I saw lots of young high school age boys in blaze orange carrying theit shotguns, muzzle loaders and straight wall cartridge rifles as they walked down the roads in search of a better hunting spot or just walking out of the fields and back to their cars and trucks. A wet morning gave way to an overcast afternoon with 100% cloud cover.

The roads were mostly dry, but I took the Emonda Winter beater out anyway. shitmaNO forever, baby! Now...which way do these funktastic shifters work?

Just a flattish course with just under 300' of climbing. All I did was cruise control work and averaged a lowly 16 point something average speed with the balaclava breath fogging my shades as the sun set rapidly in the clear Ohio sky.

Forgot to add to this morning's post, JH: That smell you're smelling? You will remember that smell for a long, long time. Fire is really destructive and the sights of the destruction will stay with you always, but what you will remember most in the years to come is the smell of everything that smolders for days and weeks to come.

The smell is in my vehicle's ventilation system but the feeling of loss is stronger right now. I myself have everything I need.
Merry Christmas Bob.

Dolly Parton did a wonderful thing and I'm sure of one thing...the locals will help each other and not count on FEMA. A country boy can survive.

I hope your pelvis is feeling stronger and less painful.

Just a cold 13 miles in more 38 degree air with a fine mist in the air again! Only around 300' of climbing and the cold wind kept the pace down to another 16 point something tempo. Too cold to go fast!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, too, JH! I'm glad your kin still have a roof over them.

Yes she did, and with that door opened I will take the opportunity to brag on my spouse, she is the account manager for the Dolly Foundation as well as being a volunteer in other charitable organizations. Sorry just sitting here watching her being passed out exhausted on the couch. She has a looooong several weeks to go. Me also. You can quote me " Our mountains have made us special for years, now our residents have".

Nice! Get some rest. Like you said, the coming weeks and months will be a testing time. Always remember, what a man is really made of shows during the worst of times.

Having experienced bush fires in australia it sounds like you all have the most important thing already for a recovery. A community that has come together as one to fight back and get your lives back together.

Good luck with the coming weeks to you and your family and particu;larly your community. It's a long road but the end will be worth the effort.

Reactions: steve and jhuskey
22 Miles in 36-38 degree temperature, but at least there was no mist or snow/ice in the air.

It was an overcast day with a mist coming down in the early morning that turned into snow. I saw a few roofs that were completely white as we drove out for breakfast, but really only a trace to a dusting of snow fell. By noon all precipitation had stopped and the 7-8 MPH breeze dried the roads.

The course had 900' of climbing on it, but only one genuine climb of any consequence. I was mostly comfortable until the speed got anywhere above 16-18 MPH. The faster I went the more numb my fingers became! Whistling off that hill at 40+ MPH for 1/4-mile put the bite on my near worthless Spesh gloves with wool liners. No wind resistance!

Overall, a cold, but nice ride.

32 miles under mostly cloudy sky and the temperature was again 38-39 degrees. The wind was running 9 to 12 MPH and the course had just bit over 1500' of climbing.

Just an easy to intermediate effort to get some fresh air and have fun rolling across the farm fields. There's still lots of hunters out chasing the deer around.

16-1/2 miles in..broken record...another 39 degree afternoon under overcast sky. The wind was a mild 6 to 7 MPH and there was only 650' of climbing before the sun went down at 4:57 PM. A nice ride with a few good bursts of speed and a dead battery in the power meter that output zero data! LOL!

Another 39 degree day with a cold rain coming down from morning until after dark. No outdoor ride today!

I hit the basement for 40 minute of hard effort on the fluid trainer. Beat the **** out of the track bike, worked up a big sweat and bored myself greatly.

I had time for a medium tempo 13-mile workout. Not much, but it was fun! The air was at 36 degrees and the wind at 10 to 13 MPH. Only 400' of climbing as I wound my way through Amish country on some quiet back roads.

Been busy working out many issues with this disaster but getting in time on the trainer. Starting to feel pretty good. My wattage is not bad but my endurance needs work.

Oy vey! It's 24 degrees and the snow flurries are coming sideways in the steady 18 to 19 wind with gusts right at 30 MPH. Baby, it's cold outside...wind chill brings it down to a mellow 9 degrees! Yikes!

51 minutes on the trainer. 10 minutes of warmup. 30 minutes of kicking it moderately hard. 10 minutes of tempo work.

Maydog would be frowning at me for not going out...