Did You Ride Today?

It got up to 60 degrees today, but it rained all day. The wind is going 20 to 22 MPH with gusts up to 32 MPH!

38 Minutes on the trainer, half at moderate tempo and half turning myself inside out. Boring, but a good workout.

31 degrees and light snow started to fall this afternoon. The wind was going 10 to 14 MPH and yesterday's warmth was history!

1 hour and 3 minutes on the trainer. After a 10-minute warmup it was work hard right to the end. The legs fired up and I cranked the tunes loud and fast.

More snow and colder tomorrow and Friday. Warming for the weekend!

19 freakin' degrees and 3" of snow down. Not as wild as Zipp's New England blizzard, but it's nuts here. Roads are icy and the wind is gusting to 33 MPH. Snow is drifting like we had a foot of it.

42 minutes on the fluid trainer. I was going to go easy this afternoon and for some dumb reason I ended up just blasting out of the starting gate and giving it Hell. My legs will pay for that stupidity tomorrow.

46 minutes on the trainer. It got up to 26 degrees today, but the roads are just ****. Ice, snow, standing water, slush and tons of grit and salt.

Mostly an easy workout. My legs were shot and only the final 20 minutes had any conviction and effort.

My first ride of the year did not go well Friday 10 February. 33 miles round trip against the wind going north west in the late morning and against the wind in the afternoon riding south east (why does this always seem to happen?) I decided to ride the heavier Trek EX-5 MTB rather than the lighter Felt Z5 road bike. The goal was a great pizza joint called the Hot Tomato. My ride companion had a flat about a quarter of the way which had to be patched. He has a green sealant in his tubes which, as far as I can tell only helps to locate the puncture. We're both bumbling 72 year olds so the repair took quite a bit longer than it needed to. On the return trip one of his cleats lost a screw and and the other screw was loose so unclipping presented a new challenge. What a day.

A few lessons to be learned by us include loose screws, poorly repaired flats, strong headwinds and a heavy MTB can really mess up good road ride pizza run.

Reactions: rm57
Warm, windy and winded but I was on the road and off the trainer. Far from an epic ride but it is February. Looking forward to some good skiing in WV this next week. Least I have skied in years but the weather looks good for me make up a few turns.

Hopefully the pizza was good, Kenny!

It was so close to being an outdoor day! The thermometer hit 55 degrees and the sun was out every now and again, but the snow melt-off was epic! Water, slush and road grit everywhere. I suppose a bike with fenders and mud flaps would have had an easy run through it all, but no way was I going to spray the bike and myself with **** a mountain bike would look good in.

42 minutes on the trainer at warp speed after a 2-hour fence line repair session. I replaced a couple locust posts with treated posts and then headed for the track bike and the Kinetic fluid trainer. I probably lost 5 Db of hearing I had the tunes cranked so loud. Stayed on the game plan and finished soaked despite a cool basement, two 20" box fans on me and the jersey was off 8 minutes into the session.

Reactions: kennyM
Warm, windy and winded but I was on the road and off the trainer. Far from an epic ride but it is February. Looking forward to some good skiing in WV this next week. Least I have skied in years but the weather looks good for me make up a few turns.

Nice, JH! I felt a little guilt today, but the workout I get on the trainer is probably better than what the road ride would have been with trying to dodge all the water.

There's snow at Snowshoe? Or are you headed to Winterplace? Enjoy your time there and have a bourbon on me when you're sitting next to the fire!

Nice, JH! I felt a little guilt today, but the workout I get on the trainer is probably better than what the road ride would have been with trying to dodge all the water.

There's snow at Snowshoe? Or are you headed to Winterplace? Enjoy your time there and have a bourbon on me when you're sitting next to the fire!

Snowshoe's conditions will be great next week. A great Valentines Day getaway but I am going to ski....I imagine some food and wine will be in order also. I have spent the last two weekend building a new boat dock. This **** is getting hard on my back. Coincidence?

53 Minutes on the trainer, keeping it short and really intense. The legs are shot. The rain and drizzle just stopped. The temperature has dropped to 39 degrees. The sky is overcast. The wind is blowing 12 to 22 MPH with Gusts over 31 MPH! Perfect! Let's ride!

I'm getting re-dressed and heading out on the Ribble R872 in search of dry roads.

Got dressed in road gear, loaded the bike into the truck and...rain started up again.

JH, I hope you're building a modular dock in sections...in the garage!

The wind picked up significantly. Gusts are now over 40 MPH and are predicted to top 50 MPH tonight. Standby generator may see some use tonight as my forecast is for falling trees!

Got dressed in road gear, loaded the bike into the truck and...rain started up again.

JH, I hope you're building a modular dock in sections...in the garage!

The wind picked up significantly. Gusts are now over 40 MPH and are predicted to top 50 MPH tonight. Standby generator may see some use tonight as my forecast is for falling trees!

Yes, moved all the sections to the lake bed. Now we have to finish cutting the decking and assemble it.

22 miles in 40 degree sunshine. The wind was only going 10 to 13 MPH, but for some reason or other (dead legs from 6 consecutive days on the trainer!) it felt heavier than that.

The tempo was just medium at best. Like I said, the legs were not firing on all cylinders and I'm still playing around with dialing in the Ribble R872. I felt pretty good in that sun and cranked the miles out easily...a fun ride! Only 800' of climbing, so a fairly flat course.

The roads were in miserable shape and the sound of road grit under the tires was a constant reminder not to push the corners too hard. I hit 43 MPH coming off one short descent and that felt fantastic this time of year.

23 miles with 1320' of climbing. It was almost wart at 48 degree, but the wind was up at 17-18 MPH with gusts at 28 MPH. The sun was out again so it was a great day to ride despite the brutal wind.

Lots of climbing at medium to high tempos and when I caught the tail wind I tried to keep the speed as high as I could. I went too deep a couple times into the wind and croaked and also once on the return leg I buried myself and then died on the next climb. Recovery is pretty decent for February.

The power level was up this afternoon and that was good to see. I feel pretty good for still being deep in the Ohio off season.

27 degrees and light snow on and off all day so I spent 43 Minutes on the trainer beating my legs up. Power levels looked good, heart rate was able to peak so I ran myself into the red a few times.

A boring, but still fun effort. A couple more days of cold, but warmer weather is just over the horizon! Keep the faith!

20170214_172208.jpg
Look relaxing but my butt is dragging today. One more day of turns and then back to the heat.

26 degrees outside and light snow flurries all day. We only got about 1/4", but enough to keep the roads wet and to bring the salt trucks out.

46 minutes on the trainer. 20 minutes of moderate to fast with some surges and then 25 minutes of going deaf to trance with my legs howling. I'm a wuss, but a dedicated wuss! I'm going to come out of Winter just like I did last year...fully ready to get my ass kicked by everybody else on the planet!

It was a decent workout, but I have to take some aspirin for the techno-trance-euro dance headache those headphones induced.

It got up to 53 degrees today! The sun was shining and the wind was going 6 to 10 MPH. Perfect! Let's ride!

32 miles at really easy speeds. I had about 6 miles in when I spotted the guy I toured in Europe with in 1975 headed towards me. I spun around and we rode about 20 miles together. Only 1425' of climbing, but a really nice ride.

The roads were dry, but dusty as all get out with tons and tons of road grit and salt. The bikes were white / gray from the constant clouds of dust coming off the tires.

I rode the Ribble R872 again and I've got enough miles on it to know that I really like the ride and handling of this frameset. It's light. it's smooth, it's efficient and stiff enough to suit me.

The next six days are supposed to be warm. Let's see how many times I can get out and enjoy the fresh air!

The treadmill and trainer got a break today, as it was time to play outdoors. After getting 42 inches of snow in a five day period you can imagine how the roads are. Tons of salt and sand, and still snow and ice covering most of my road leading out of my neighborhood to the main road. The temp is going to get up in the 40's today and 50's Sunday. So I had men's breakfast this morning then got home and pulled out the single speed. 37 degrees and off for some fun and nice dirty, wet 15 mile light rolling ride. Had a little stinger (8mph) headwind on the first half and at the turn around got to have it at my back. Thank goodness because the legs took a beating turning over a 52/15 this time of year. Looking forward to Sunday because I'll have a riding partner, and we are going to tackle a few long climbs together.