Did You Ride Today?

The weather was pretty rubbish last night and is set to be rubbish for most of the day, so it looks like I will not be heading out today unfortunately.

(Is there anyway we could get this thread pinned to the top of the page)

@maydog, you are pretty strong! I haven't tried a fat bike, but judging from your shadow on one of the movies, you seem to be moving at a good clip on that dirt road.

Enjoy it!

I did 36.2 miles today in pretty good weather. First I went to Patuxent Research Refuge. Some sniveling snot of a jerk driver passed me on the narrow (one lane only) exit road, and nearly pushed me off the road. I'm pretty sure he or she heard my comments as the person went off at very high speed. I admit that I want to tar and feather the driver and then give him or her a second coating of tar and feathers for good measure. Then I went to one of my very favorite places -- Mom's Organic Market, where I did some grocery shopping. I pedaled my goodies home and then went off to Greenbelt Park because they have some interesting hills for the inexperienced like me to climb. Then I did a few more miles before coming home.

My feet did get a bit cold, I'm going to have to search for booties that really work.

All in all -- a pretty good day, except for the one car driver.

Thanks a ton!

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
The weather has been pretty rubbish this whole weekend.

I went out for a ride early this morning when things were a little calmer. I went out a few miles away from town and got caught out by a downpour. Oh well. It was fun though and I feel good that I was able to get out a little this weekend. While out I also listened to a lovely documentary about when the two end of the Channel Tunnel met. It was aimed at kids but it was still interesting to listen to :D

Quote by Maydog:
"I did a mid 20's mileage in mid 20's weather on the fatbike today."

Nice! Yeah, frozen toes are the norm for me. Good sox...shoes not too tight...heavy booties...and they still go numb in an hour or two.

40° and overcast this afternoon with the wind at what should have been a hardly noticeable 8-9 MPH. Well, Friday's ride must have fried me because the outbound headwind leg kicked my ass. Sloooow. Still, a nice 38-mile medium tempo cruise.

Some guy came up from behind on his Harley (looked like an Ultra Classic or a loaded Road King) and shouted, "Hey! Another guy that's not afraid of the cold!". I should have told him about Maydog, but just grinned a thumb's up to him as he accelerated by me.

2-1/2 hours of fun!

jhuskey said:
Terrible photography. I can't even see what kind of bike she is on.
Its a hardtail Shimano Alu Mtb.
With a witch on it!

I think we need to get Mr. Beanz a trainer before he gets munched by a Chupacabra on the highway. . .

#Mr.Beanz:

Your rides seem a bit like touring, and as one somebody said on this forum, touring is done in the day.

Your night ride, as cool as it seems, looks very stressful.

Ive done some night rides outside the city a few times to blow some steam, but I do feel some remorse now. Especially for a dodgy 65kmh descent that also cost me a seat.

Nonono. . . Just do some up and downs on a local road or something. ;)

0localupanddowns.JPG
Volnix said:
#Mr.Beanz:

Your rides seem a bit like touring, and as one somebody said on this forum, touring is done in the day.

Your night ride, as cool as it seems, looks very stressful.

Nonono. . . Just do some up and downs on a local road or something. ;)

Touring is done during the day? I've never heard that one before. :huh:

My night ride looks stressful? Actually very relaxing other than pushing on the 3 mile 4-5% grade for a little fitness. ;)

Just do some up and downs on a local road? That's exactly what it was. From my door step up a local road 2 and 1/2 times.

Well yeah, it makes sense as you cannot really see anything in the night.

Thats your local road? That looked like a highway bridge!

Scary stuff...

Volnix said:
Well yeah, it makes sense as you cannot really see anything in the night.

Thats your local road? That looked like a highway bridge!

Scary stuff...

Oh no. This is the street we ride. After about 1/2 mile it is pretty clear of traffic. We may get passed by 10 cars max.

DSCN9899_zpsq4lcatyf.jpg

There is one section that goes over the fwy. No ramps around, just an overpass as the fwy sits below us so we don't deal with that traffic. It gives us a good opportunity to give the fwy drivers the finger with no worries about getting chased! :lol:

DSCN0656_zpsl3mtikil.jpg

I haven't ridden today yet, but I am hoping to go for a ride after dinner, and I will go about 5 miles or so. The weather has been far too poor for riding this week, as there have been high winds so it would be unsafe for me to get on my bike, but luckily it does feel as though the winds are dropping, so I will try to go out this evening to make up for the time that I haven't been able to spend on the roads. I am looking forward to it, because I could certainly do with the exercise, and I find that it often cheers me up a lot when I'm feeling down about things.

@CampyBob, I'm curious, have you tried using those chemical foot warmers? My work group had a Christmas party 2 years ago and we did a gift exchange. I ended up receiving an entire box of "Hot Hands" hand warmer pads. They are pretty good and the heat lasts many hours. I have a pair of chemical foot warmers which are shaped like insoles, but I have not tried these on my Keen cycling shoes yet.

@GemmaRowlands, I hope you get some good weather soon. A nice ride can help you feel all smiles. It does with me!

@Mr. Beanz, we have a highway pedestrian overpass very close to my home -- it goes over the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and I use it on my route to work. I'm often tempted to give people in cars the finger, too, but I'm afraid someone will call the cops over cell and accuse me of something or other. I'm just chicken I guess. :)

Thanks a ton

Bob

We had the first snow of any accumulation today. There was only 2 to 3 inches on the ground in the morning, but the weather has been cold enough that all the roads turned the snow to a slick icy glaze on the roads.

My wife convinced me to drive into to work because "It was safer." I loaded up the Fat bike and cold weather gear for a possible ride home. Halfway and 1/2 hour into the commute it was clear that all roads leading into the city were at a standstill. Forget that noise, I had a better option strapped to my car. I pulled into the YMCA and changed clothes.

I drove my bicycle the remaining 10 miles. The route was great, there were off-the-street trails the whole way. The first 4 miles through quiet wooded parkland. I was anxious to put my mark on virgin powder, but it appeared that someone with a Fat bike beat me to the punch. Pedaling in the existing track was easier than making my own mark. Snowplow mode was fun, but slow.

Riding on the trails alongside the streets, I was going about 2x as fast as traffic - even though I only averaged 10mph. The trip required an hour instead of the usual 1/2 but was good fun. The fat tires performed beautiflly, I had good traction throughout.

I set off on the ride back at 4:30. It was dark and most the snow on the road shoulders and trails was melted. There was a lot of slush - which the fat tires handled much better than my 700x40c studded tires. Visibility wasn't the greatest since I had to turn off my helmet mounted headlamp which was only illuminating the flying snow in front of my face the handlebar mounted light was sufficient. Progress was faster since most of the snow on the roadside trails was melted. The wooded trails were still covered, my track from the morning was still visible so I used it as a guide.

I got to the Y just before my group cycle class an was able to pound out a decent 300W average for an hour class. I drove home, ate dinner, hugged my kids and watched the A-Team and X-files on netflix.

Maydog, you have me interested in a fat bike now. What brand and model do you have? Can you post a picture?

Thanks a ton

Bob

Nothing special, its Nashbar's house brand Fat Bike. Nashbar plays games with its prices all the time and I was able to snag it for less than $700. They are currently asking $1100 for it. At that price point, I would be considering many other players such as the Framed Minnesota series.

I was also looking at several of the BikesDirect models.

I have several hundred miles on it already and I am quite happy with it. I bought the largest size, 21 inches - I have the seatpost at near full extension - but it does fit well. My biggest gripe with it is that it does not have mounts for a rear rack and the shape of the stays will likely prohibit the use of P-clamps to mount one.

Minnesota is quickly adopting the Fat biking trend, several parks now groom trails and singletrack for winter riding. Should be fun.

Reactions: BobCochran
Maydog, now I'm thinking a fat bike is quite interesting. Thanks for the information.

Bob

Quote by Mr. B.:
"Touring is done during the day? I've never heard that one before. :huh:"

'Day Touring' has been a popular cycling term for decades, although I associate the word, 'touring' with longer periods of time spent on the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_touring

"Day touring
These rides vary highly in their size of the group, length, purpose, and methods of support. They may involve solo cyclists, group rides, or large organized rides with hundreds to thousands of riders. Their length can range from a few miles to century rides of 100 miles (160 km) or longer. Their purpose can range from riding for pleasure or fitness, to raising money for a charitable organization. Methods of support can include self-supported day rides, rides supported by friends or small groups, and organized rides where cyclists pay for support and accommodation provided by event organizers, including rest and refreshment stops, marshalling to aid safety, and sag services."

Quote by BC:
"@CampyBob, I'm curious, have you tried using those chemical foot warmers?"

Just the hand warmers. One of my training partners places them on top of the toe area of his shoes and then slips on his shoe covers. I have enough room in mine I might give that a try this year. I've sworn for years I was going to buy some of the good quality heated socks (IIRC, a pair of C-cells for each sock to lift with every pedal stroke, but WTH? At least the toes have circulation!), but I still have not bought a pair.

Quote by Maydog:
"Minnesota is quickly adopting the Fat biking trend..."

The selling of fat bikes in Ohio is also getting to be impressive considering their limited season of use here. I don't expect we'll see groomed trails down here, but riding all the bike paths and rails-to-trails paths presents good options as the hikers stomp a lot of the snowpack down in a couple days at the most. The pirate snowmobile crowd also flattens miles of snow on those trails in no time. Still, most of that is rideable on a decent mountain bike if it comes down to the most logical machine for our paths. For virgin snow or ice? Fat city all the way.

I did ride today and yesterday, but only a paltry 10.5 miles each day. I had not ridden from Sunday through Wednesday because of rain on all those days and heavy fog on one day. Yesterday I went to the office and managed, through my own fault, to dump myself and the bicycle right into the pavement. I had started off from a standing stop, wobbled, then overbalanced, and crashed. I am fine, only my ego is bruised. The chain did come off the chainring and it took a little effort for me to get it back on.

Both days I noticed how I feel out of shape: it is like I lost a particular level of fitness, from those 4 days of inactivity, and I have to build myself back up to that lost level. It is not like I'm starting from the bottom all over, mind you. It is more like I was at a milepost in my fitness journey, and through inactivity I moved behind a couple of mileposts, and have to travel back to that original milepost.

Also, my Nashbar jacket has a zipper that sticks right into my throat and I hate that zipper. I'm going to have to either buy a jacket in a smaller size, or buy a better quality jacket elsewhere. But i did do the 10.5 miles a day for 2 days.

Here is hoping I will ride more miles tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

Like BC, mileage has been limited by the lack of daylight.

16pointsomething yesterday and 17pointsomething this afternoon. Sunset has been at 4:57 the last couple of days and you best be off the bricks about 20 minutes to a half hour after that even on a sunny afternoon...because it's dark. And that equates with dangerous.

35° when I lit out. The deer hunters were giving up and coming out the woods right at sunset even though they can hunt until a half hour after sunset. Too cold for cycling. Too warm for a good hunt. Deer weren't moving.

Supposed to be 50° and sunny tomorrow. We'll see if we can get the posse together and put in a kinda sorta longish cruise. The kids want me to take them on an 'adventure'...which generally means hitting roads new to them.

BobCochran said:
Both days I noticed how I feel out of shape: it is like I lost a particular level of fitness, from those 4 days of inactivity, and I have to build myself back up to that lost level.

Try cigarettes and pork chops on your days off too! :D

Guaranteed to make you hit the wall 5km into the ride. :D

Seriously though, I have noticed that too. I think its called "hitting the wall" or something.

If you carry on cycling, it usually goes away and you catch your tempo again.

Cycling is easy! Try Swimming after a party night! Now -that- hurts. :p

Volnix, thanks for that! You make me laugh and I need the laughter.

I bicycled 26 miles today. 31 degrees Fahrenheit (just below freezing) in the morning, but it warmed up rapidly. I took off my jacket 3 miles into the ride and didn't wear it the rest of the time. I met a new road hazard for bicyclists: specifically, roadside crews with huge trucks equipped for trimming trees along the roadside and then turning the cut branches and wood into chips. These work crews need a lot of room to work, and they effectively blocked the breakdown lane for about 500 feet. Fortunately, all the car traffic was reasonably slow. I didn't have problems gaining the use of a travel lane for a few hundred feet. Over here that is unusual.

I also took two plastic grocery bags and put my feet, properly shod with my Keen cycling shoes, into these bags. With a bag wrapped around my foot to above the ankle, I wrapped a cyclists reflective leg band around the bag and used it to secure the bag to my foot. Repeat procedure with the other foot. This worked great except after several miles the grocery bag came loose and caught in my bottle holders. I didn't look too professional -- if that is what you would call a road bicyclist in training -- but the bags did keep my feet warmer than Gore Road Overshoes do. I just clipped in to my SPD pedals normally, the cleats punched through the thin plastic as I expected. They worked well enough that I'll try to experiment further with ways to keep my feet toasty.

That is my report for today.

Volnix, I still cannot claim to be anywhere near fit. I think you and the other folks take all the fitness awards. (Grin.)

Bob

Went out for a ride around this morning but I have to admit that it was not much fun. For the majority of it I was riding into the wind and it just made progress very difficult. Still on the plus side I was able to get out, even for a short ride. All this down time Is not good though and I hope the lastest storm, "Storm Desmond", buggers off quickly.