Did You Ride Today?

Hum? Someone queue up Frank Zappa's "Dynamo Hum"!

On a hot Summer day when everyone is running the air conditioning at full blast the wires sizzle and crackle and buzz.

Only 13.9 Miles in the 53° warmth of an El Nino Fall! The rain started to fall lightly and I once again allowed a wry smile to cross my face as I jammed back to the car.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
BobCochran said:
Maydog, now I'm thinking a fat bike is quite interesting. Thanks for the information.

Bob
It's definitely something a "serious" cyclist in cold climate regions should consider as a way to keep riding during sub-freezing weather with snow and ice. Also consider studded tires and an indoor trainer to stay in the game.

Just 24 miles yesterday afternoon in 53° air and an overcast sky. 16.0 MPH average over a bunch of rolling hills. Nothing to radical, but a few good efforts. Also found a pair of gold lens Foster Grant 'Solar Accents' sun glasses that will make good eye pro for weed whacking next summer.

The days are still getting shorter, but that will change soon!

It's supposed to hit 57° today, 64° on Saturday (with some rain and a good chance of rain all day) and 66° and dry on Sunday.

Let's bang out some miles!

Yep, weekend looks good but it is dark shortly after I get home in the evenings so after the time change all my road miles are on weekends. Riding in the dark on my roads would be insanity, narrow, curvy and steep.

I agree with you, JH. I really try to get off the bricks at sunset or within 20 minutes there after. I start out with my tail light flashing...need it or not...this time of year.

Our roads have a low traffic count, but they are not the best for riding in the dark. The Boy Wonder, on the other hand, has a gazillion kilowatts of lighting on his cross bike and most of the time he starts out in the deepening darkness that is our gray Winter afternoons and evenings. More power to him.

Like Maydog stated in another thread, I find it better to limit my outside miles/time with the cold weather and shorter daylight and do my drillin' it & killin' it on the trainer for the big Watt 'rides'. Mostly, I just roll out what few miles Mother Nature allows me in the Winter months and I try not to force the issue into anything too unsafe.

21.55 Miles this afternoon and darkness came down faster than the facts about Simple Green chain cleaning! Hardly any traffic, JH, and my neighbors that recently sold their farm and are heading off to Tennessee were out stuffing a huge dump truck full of stuff they were sending to a landfill. A pair of flatbed semi tractor trailers has already moved their implements and tractors South and a third box semi already set sail with their household goods. I know they have made at least a half-dozen runs down and back, hauling possessions and stuff down to their new farm.

I will miss seeing their Confederate Battle Flag and their Gadsen Flag flying proudly in their driveway. Tennessee is gaining a great family and Ohio is losing one.

I overheated a bit in my single base layer...must have been working too hard! I got back to the truck more damp than I would have thought from the effort. Good outside workouts are a thing to relish this time of year. I could hear the opening and closing theme songs from Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road playing in my head as I crossed through the corn stubble fields and pastures full of cattle and horses.

Safety blaze orange long sleeve jersey and tail light flashing in 56° air and more overcast sky with the wind down low at 7 to 8 MPH...let's ride!

No miles for me just some good food and libations at Outback. I will make it up tomorrow. As far as you know.

CAMPYBOB said:
Like Maydog stated in another thread, I find it better to limit my outside miles/time with the cold weather and shorter daylight and do my drillin' it & killin' it on the trainer for the big Watt 'rides'.

Psst buddy! :D Here! Behind the pool!

Do you wanna get proper exhausted and not crash or spend 5 hours cleaning yo gear? Swimming Brah!! :D

You can dope too!!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jSPPxXEPe4

I did about a 5 mile run on a few of the roads out of town early this morning. I think lack of sleep is getting to me though because I'm sure I could see something running off into the undergrowth while I was approaching. It was a pretty weird sight and also gave me a bit of a weird feeling.

Oh well. It was a nice ride all the same :)

Absolutely super **** and fall back it weather today. Except for a headwind it don't get much better.

Think today is my last day on the bike until the spring now to be honest. Here in the north of England we've had all weather from gusty winds, sleet, rain and even a touch of snow so I'm officially done for 2015.

He says until tomorrow!

Saturday ride with the boys. Gina went Christmas shopping today so I took advantage of it and lifted the pace. Passed a lot of riders, picked up a lot of riders, dropped a lot of riders, even dropped some of our friends! :D

44 miles @ 19.2 average. :cool:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I knew we were going to be flying so I wore my pink jersey just daring riders to make fun of my Pretty In Pink jersey ha ha! ;)

0pink_zps7hqftjwi.jpg

Reactions: steve
41 miles on Saturday with a 67° temperature and 60 miles on Sunday with a high of 66°. No sun, but at least it was warm!

Yeah...back to 16 miles this afternoon and darkness fell like a ton of bricks. Again, very overcast, 44° and a drizzle so light I could barely feel it that started somewhere in the last 5 miles of the ride. No major pace today. Yesterday the big gears killed me going out and I spun what was left out of me in the run back home.

Man, that warmth over the weekend felt fantastic.

Reactions: steve and Mr. Beanz
Big guy on the Bianchi...shorter socks...more revs.

Man, you guys were the terror of the bike trail. Love the hand speed signals to the camera.

Show us some more of your road rides. Those mountains are beautiful!

BTW, my Harley-riding friend in El Cajone said it was 25° on his ride into work yesterday and Ohio was at 44° at 5 AM!

40° this morning and it will get up to 56° this afternoon. I'll only get a short ride in, but at least I won't have to layer up.

55° and 16 miles. I could hear two well pads being frac'ed in the distance. The diesels were roaring to drive those huge pumps...that's the sound of money!

24 miles yesterday
28°, windy, spitting snow

Geting the clothing layers stuff better adjusted,
wore the outer polar fleece with the zipper in the back, heat & moisture escaped better & front was warmer

Under the tracks by Vine rd & Parks Hwy
DSCF6224.JPG

Great picture, Dave. What trail is that?

Started out yesterday in 44° temperature and in the hour it took to cover 17.28 miles it had dropped to 35°. Still, not bad! No shoe covers, no frozen toes or fingers.

Amish weirdness seen on that loop:
1. Amish have their own schools and will not send their kids to public schools, yet you can watch the MRDD/learning disabled bus from the public school system drop off their learning disabled kids after school.
2. An Amishman in shirt sleeves working outside to build an outhouse for the home that he just bought from an 'English'. Yeah, the house has two perfectly functional bathrooms in it...
3. Passed the Amish sulky I have 'raced' on prior runs, but this time he was going the opposite direction...with LED lights so bright that Night Sun should be manufacturing them for bikes. Saw an Amish boy wearing theraditional all black clothing riding home on his...very bright orange push bike.

upload_2015-12-18_7-52-21.png

Which his weird because our local Amish have more relaxed rulz than many of the Amish sects in other areas of Ohio. You would think they would allow pedals and a gear or two, but noooooo!

One of the Amish areas nearby is home to Raber's Bike Shop...Amish owned and run. Raber's sits in the center of a very large Old Order (strict) Amish community, yet they sell more high end Pinarellos and such than most large bike shops in large metropolitan areas!

http://www.amish-heartland.com/shop...ike-shop-offers-quality-service-and-inventory

Those Old Order Amish parade by, one after another, on multi-gear Giants and TREKs and Cannondales! Keep thyself plain, yo!

Drafting der buggy...
upload_2015-12-18_8-2-34.png

Not me in this pic, but if you go ride the Holmes County Trail that runs from Killbuck up through Millersburg and Holmesville to Fredericksburg you will see sights like this. I swear...I passed an Amish gal that riding along staring down at the Bible she had propped on her handlebars and going mile after mile without looking at the trail pavement! The Amish equivalent of texting while driving?

BLOG_GREAT-RACE-BIKES.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-18_7-49-30.png
    upload_2015-12-18_7-49-30.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • upload_2015-12-18_7-51-57.png
    upload_2015-12-18_7-51-57.png
    80 KB · Views: 14