Did You Ride Today?

Monday is always my off day from the bike so I met up with Daughter, Son-in-law, my two grandbuddies, and my oldest son and his girlfriend for a little family hike in the woods. My little grandbuddies are 2 and 3 and made the whole 2.2 mile hike. After the hike we all headed over to my daughters house for a cookout, as granny joined us after working a half day.

Thanks to all those who have served and continue to serve this great country, which allows me the freedom to ride, hike, and enjoy my surroundings.

Today was my kind of weather 85 degrees, humid, and a 2-4mph wind. Being that I'm more of a locomotive and it always takes the legs a good 4 or 5 miles to really get up to speed the warmer weather helps speed that process. Did the upcoming tri bike course in reverse with a tad extra (3 miles) added on. Ended with 25.7 miles and averaged 18.2 mph over a nice little rolling course. Saw a couple tri bikes scoping out the course while I was going the opposite direction. I would expect to see a few each night this week, because the race is this Sunday.

Just 12 miles this afternoon with 400' of climbing 83 degrees and a little humidity to make things sweaty. I was on the tractor most of the afternoon and only had time for a short 19 MPH avg. blast and what a blast it was.

No warm up, just <John Degenkolb> GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!

I ran the bike up to speed out of the parking lot and whatever gear I was in only got dropped down for a few seconds two times, then right back to whatever craptastic number of FTP Watts my legs still make. Maydog would have been proud!

The wind was a factor and it could only have been going 6 or 7 MPH max., but it slowed me and made me force the gear all the way to the turn for home. It was a fun workout and one that made me feel like I did something even if it was just a short hop.

Just couldn't wait to get out of work today, had the TT Bike on my mind. The great thing is I'm out of work by 2:30 so I get to enjoy the hottest part of the day. Today did not disappoint with the temp. at 92 degrees and you could cut the humity with a knife, and a 8-9 mph wind. So I get home by 3 and get the TT Bike out and suit-up for a quick 15 mile rip. On all my rides I have a .69 mile warm-up to the main road, then it's time to blast off. I have this route cut into three 5 mile sections and roll thru the first section in 13:01. The second 5 mile section has my turn around, so I've got to hit my turn around clean, and keep my rythem. I roll threw the second 5 mile section in 13:22 and am feeling good. The wind wasn't a big factor because it was more of a side wind, and being a bigger rider it doesn't really push me around. As I'm entering my last 5 mile section I spot a rider about a 1/4 mile up the road. Even know he has no clue I'm coming, and who knows how long he's been out, this is a carrot that will help me push harder. I rip thru the last 5 mile section in 11:52, thanks to the carrot.
That's what I miss most about doing organized TT events, is having a carrot in front of you.

Looks like it's going to be a burner again Thursday, so maybe some climbing route is calling.

85 degrees here in Ohio and the humidity was...well...it must have been 100% because The Boy Wonder and I got rained on for the last 4 miles of a short 20-mile 'Can We Stay Dry This Afternoon? ride.

Spent all the ride in L9 thanks to The Boy wanting to do the short loop and get back home dry. He brought out his new Cannonwhale Sooper Sex and the aero everything...away we went. A fun ride, for sure.

He checked his phone at 22 MPH for the weather and as soon as the words, "It says it's raining right now!", came out I started feeling the rain drops. It was just a light, steady drizzle as we TT'd for the barn.

Later, after I drove home, the lightning and thunder really let loose with...a 5-minute downpour followed by insane humidity as I detailed the Wilier and lubed the chain.

I keep telling my wife I should live in the desert.

Today 91 degrees, high humidity, and 6-8 wind at start just the way I like it (woohoo). Decided to do a little more climbing today and the legs just didn't disappoint. With about 8 miles left the temp dropped to 83 degrees and the wind starting picking up as the dark clouds started to surround me. So just put the head down and let the legs do what they do. I ended up doing 24.97 miles with an average of 18.6 mph.

If only I could convince my wife to move, she hates the heat so I don't think that will be happening soon.

31 miles with only 1200' of climbing. I went solo as The Boy Wonder hates the heat and humidity...and he put in a killer ride on Monday. He continued on solo after we dropped off Cat. 2 Dude and them my energy empty self.

It was 89 degrees at the start and sunny skies with some black clouds rolling over in the 8 to 12 MPH wind. There was thunder nearby after I stepped off the bike, but I never felt a drop or saw any rain on the horizon. The Wilier gleamed in the sunlight and was good on all but a couple short climbs that indicated my power was down a bit from the week's efforts.

The humidity was up there again today, but the ride felt good. I kept a steady tempo and averaged just under 17 MPH.

The sweat is sticking to everything so the helmet pads get washed out again tonight along with all the other stuff.

Oh yeah! It's time for a little Buster Poindexter and "Feelin' Hot Hot Hot!".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just 14 miles in 89 degree sunshine! Felt good to be warm and soaking lycra! Every time I dropped under 15 MPH I started dripping in the humidity. Around 400' of climbing on this flat little farm field loop.

Just a quick little cruise to keep the legs loose for tomorrow...let's go long and fight the wind, heat and the...SUN!

Sure beats Winter!

Party on, Buster!

What a difference a day makes, 75 degrees, 10-12 wind, at least the humidity is still hanging around. Went out and did the tri bike course with a little add on for 25 miles. Got home showered and hug out till wife came home from food shopping. She gets in and starts to make supper and I get a call asking if I wanted to go for a ride. I'll never say no to a ride invite, so Dave comes over and we roll out 18 miles. So finished taking my 3rd shower today and now it's time to fill the legs.

Bought a pair of Gatorskin tires and they seemed to feel really heavy right out the box. These roads are quite, but rough and pothole filled, thought i'd prioritize sturdy over weight. They were a pain in the ### to get on the rim, blisters all over my hands. Used them on this ride and the weight didn't seem to have a negative affect.I also bought a new set of break pads, haven't changed them in a while,its way quicker to stop now.

Just the redundant 18 mile route this morning. I have off of work until the 17 and would rather wait for sun for long rides rather than kill it on a slipper, rainy, muggy day. Although I didn't ride long, I sure as hell rode hard. The first 10 miles, I was flying with a 20mph average pace. I think I've been riding wrong all along,lol...I stayed seated, but was spinning as fast as I could. Didn't think I could hit that speed in the rain without big gear out of the saddle stuff.

I want to get out for a 50-60 miler tomorrow.

Longest ride of the year today, NOT. I did a whopping 6 miles to the start of the Triathlon and then back for that killer 6 miles. Today was packet pickup day and was going over last minute details with the race director for tomorrows event. Besides it was raining all day from a light rain to very heavy a times, and it looks like it's the same for tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be a soggy day.

Wanted to go longer, but the legs didn't want a long ride today. My speed was decent, but my endurance has taken a hit, if you don't use it you lose it. 27.7 miles/18.2 mph/1280 ft. Tomorrow is another day, i'll go out there and improve.

I actually went out today, despite everything telling me not to. It has been crazy hot and humid here lately, and this morning felt a little nice but it was still forecasted to be really hot, but I decided to go and get a ride in. It got up there, and I sweat more than usual, but I think I made a good choice and I am ready to go now for the day. I love riding in the morning for this very reason.

For Saturday 101 miles. I thought the 16.4 MPH avg. was pretty damned fast considering there was over 4000' of climbing and the wind was a royal pain today. It was a 9 to 14 MPH, but the gusts were constant and flattened me.

I met up with two of my old team mates and together we flew. And flew the coop. I took them off the course of some dorky club ride they had started...adding miles and smiles...and we still got back to the starting point before almost all of the club riders.

It was something like 24 miles to meet my old friends, did 20 miles with them and then finished the last part off solo again.