Did You Ride Today?

Road today, 10 days off felt like a month! Was a little more careful than normal, wanted no part of rough pavement today. 18.3 miles/18.2 mph/900 ft of climbing. Legs felt good and the bike seems to need a few small tweaks. The spokes were a little noisier than usual during stranded efforts, everything else was running fine.

Been building up the magnesium Pinarello. Italian threads. Bottom bracket different. 31.0 mm seatpost. Seriously. Not 30.0 or 31.6. 31.0 mm. Got it rolling. Did a 10 miler. Seems like a a jumper. Th geometry says road bike but the response says sprinter. Wasted much of the day waiting for a NICS check to go thru on a Daniels Defense M4A1 mil Spec. Turning into a fat ****.

Something about magnesium. Not sure if I like it yet but it dives into corners like nobodies business like a 0.25 moa sniper's rifle. Its a frankenbike. Has my favorite **** on it but its mine.

Haven't got the fit right. Need to get the stem further out and lower and saddle back. Need a little longer stem.

Gonna do a good ride on it tomorrow. Damned pretty bike for 13 years old. Took my 43 year old Masi out the other day.....pure honey.

Reactions: rm57
26.8/18 mph/1200 ft. Still need a few rides to get the confidence back. Although the pace was pretty good, I took the corners really slow and dodged rough road more than I should have. Sometimes it is more safe to push through rough/cracked road than to go further away from the white line. I'll get back, just need a few more rides. The weather was damn near perfect, would have been a god day for a metric.

Today had to be an early ride and shorter than what I wanted for a great Saturday. Wife is off work early today so going to go for a ride and out to eat. The legs have been feeling really strong and I ripped out 34.92 miles of some fun New England rollers 84 degrees 3-5 wind.
Have a Great weekend everyone

Glad to see your back out their Uawadall !

Consecutive Day Number 56 for riding:

I banged out 70 miles with a bit over 3000' of climbing. The sky was bright blue and it got up to 86 degrees...perfect! Let's ride!

With a 5-10 MPH tailwind I headed North and tried to tell my legs to keep it real. They were having none of that ****! I was sliding and gliding up the slight grades and little rollers like they weren't there. Belting it hard across the open flat terrain and killing the downhills all I had time to do in the first 30 miles was drink a little a get one Shot Bloks down before the turn towards the West.

I managed to eat a gel and then made the turn South and into a headwind that picked up speed all the way home. Windfinder says I was going into a steady 10 to 15 MPH wind with gusts to 21 MPH. It felt like that's about right. I kept getting forced down onto the little ring on the long exposed upgrades. No sooner than I had worked my way out the cluster...BAM!...and long gust would have me down shifting again. It just killed my average speed and I was down at 16.0 MPH by the time I got back to the truck.

I ran into one other rider today on the return leg. He was on a spotless new Giant/Ultegra and was out for 32-mile cruise. I saw lots of motorcycles and a classic old T-Bird out there.

Oh...I'm thinking I may have been wrong about the HR Strap. The new battery had it reporting correctly. I tried to induce jersey flap with my zipper in every position, but no static buildup or interference was noted. I did hit 182 beats on a climb, but that's pretty much normal on that *****. I was down in the 25 and just wiped out going over the top so 182 BPM is a correct reading. If I had hit 200 I might have believed it, but 212? Call the amberlamps!

The O.E.M. Panasonic was still putting out 2.79 Volts, but maybe just that little drop off from 3 Volts was enough to get the freaky reading? We'll see...

Reactions: rm57 and Weatherby
Weatherby...a DD M4? Nice! Ar's and AK's are flying off the shelves right now...wonder why?!?! And NIC's is SWAMPED, baby! Ton of guns are being sold and sales are only going to go through the roof until Trump gets elected.

U...great to see your injuries are healing! Stay safe and have fun!

Weatherby...a DD M4? Nice! Ar's and AK's are flying off the shelves right now...wonder why?!?! And NIC's is SWAMPED, baby! Ton of guns are being sold and sales are only going to go through the roof until Trump gets elected.

U...great to see your injuries are healing! Stay safe and have fun!

NICs took almost 2 hours.

I took the "old" new to me Pinarello ak61 for 59 miles and 3200 feet of climbing with 217 watts, which is a pretty hard ride for me but not brutal. I wanted to test my "new" bike. The first half was nothing but climbing and I took the river road on the way back. I wanted to hit all kinds of riding and road surfaces. Hands free at 40 mph on bumpy chip sealed roads is easy. The TT and BB are stiff but magnesium absorbs vibration like no other metal (maybe beryllium is better, not sure). No carbon fiber bike has that planted feeling or at least I've never had tghe confidence in them to take the hands off on a horribly bumpy descent. My other magnesium framed bike is the same way or maybe better. I've done 50 mph descents at 2 am in 28F temps shivering my ass off and my other magnesium bike just tracks like on a rail. The Pinarello is not terribly light but it is a 59cm. 17.8 lbs. Who cares. I rode it balls to the wall up a 3 mile "hollow" and beat my personal best by 1:11 and I am 20 lbs over fighting weight. This is remarkable. Some of it might be conditioning. I spent some time at elevation and did a lot of miles in June. I need a longer stem and need to cut the steerer tube but this looks like a keeper. The cornering is surreal despite being pretty quick. The frame is a touch small but I think it is worth making it work.

I've never ridden the Mg bikes. At their introduction they were considered to be really light. The die-cast Mg frames were pretty damned cool.

Handling and a ride you like trump a pound or two every time.

I'm trying to get one more year out of this Wilier and the mechanical group on it. shitmaNO, FSA, SCRAM...and who knows what other outfits all have wireless or semi-wireless rigs out there or ready to go to market. I'm hoping Campy gets up to speed and puts a wireless EPS group on the block pretty quick. Their production capacitity is so low and lead time so long...who knows? All I can say is I want another carbon frame and a wireless electronic group before I croak.

A guy at the shop went 3 hours on a new pistol and he's been through NIC's a hundred times since they instituted the system. Form 4 stuff is taking ages...just like back when ol' Billy Bob was prez.

I forgot to mention...

A mile and quarter into today's ride a good size coyote ran from left to right across the road about 20' in front of me! Thought...fox? Too big. A dog? Nope. ****! Where's my pistol? It's a 'yote! He was moving too fast to have got a shot off.

Last edited:
Reactions: rm57
Consecutive day number 57 for riding:

47 Miles with 1800' of climbing on a sunny 75 degree day. Too bad the wind was trying to flatten me! It was blowing hard again today ay 9 to 16 MPH with one gust after another driving through at 21 to 25 MPH and probably a little more going by the trees getting bent over and the trash flying around.

My body was beat to **** by the deck project...crawling under the thing repeatedly and back to the outside of it and then crawling all over it is hard work. Too many steps to get tools and materials. The legs were flat, but my back, arms and shoulders were also beat up. It felt good to put the tools down and get on the bike and head out.

Today was another day with too much time spent on the little ring, but at least it was a good day in the sunshine!

14.6 miles/17.5mph/650 ft. Not much distance today, hopefully will get a sizable ride or two in next weekend.

Nice cool day 75 degrees with a killer wind at 12-16 with gusts in the low 20's. The legs have been really feeling strong this last week and I was able to put the hammer down for 34.91 miles. Attacked every little incline and just felt great feeling the legs power thru every peddle stroke. Finished off at 19.3 mph and for the course and conditions felt this was one of the best rides this year.

Darn CAMPYBOB 57 days ! Your a machine

Thanks, Zipp!

76 consecutive day is my record over 46 years of riding. That was done in a drought Summer when the economy had crashed and I had to cut shop and office hours. The need for mowing was reduced to almost nil, the crops were a joke and with the extra hours available to put some miles in getting to 76 days didn't take much.

I do not expect to break that record this year, but you never know.

I keep telling the kids I train with...I may not be as fast as you, but I am durable!

Reactions: Weatherby
Nothing much to note but I have been riding consistently 4 days a week. I missed yesterday because of the weather and opted to burn a brush pile. I did get new cleats and shoe liners a couple of weeks back but have been disappointed that they did not make me faster. Today the weather is great, cooler with low humidity, and I expect to be on my bike like Bill Cosby on a catatonic blond.

Consecutive day 58 of riding:

23 miles with 1150' of climbing. It was a warm 76 degrees, low humidity and the wind was a light 6 to 7 MPH in bright sunshine.

Perfect! Let's ride!

I mowed for an hour and a half before turning the tractor over to my wife. Changed into my gear and drove down to the old one-room school hose to set off over a few hills and dales.

I took a Joe Friel "Fast After 50" rest-on-the-bike day. I kept the Watts dialed back, but kept a nice standing tempo as I rocked the bike up the steepest stuff...remembering the boys that climbed the 1.8 Km long THIRTY PERCENT climb in the Vuelta today! Damn! They were almost coming to a stand still on that wall! A hill so steep they stopped paving it with asphalt and used concrete with cross-grooves to provide traction for cars!

After I finished the ride I put on and old pair of jeans and shoes and scrubbed the vinyl deck down with a mixture of hot water, bleach, detergent and deck cleaner. Sonnovabitch is so bright I'm gonna have to wear shades!

After three pretty hard days in a row, I did a leisurely 20 miler with a stop for fancy coffee. I just enjoyed it. A beautiful day. 78F and no humidity. I actually wore a wool jersey. Digging the new bike but just have to trace down a little itty bitty creak. I tried to be careful building it up. I almost think it is my right cleat. Maybe try my old smelly shoes with epoxied cleats.

Leg's feeling super strong but the back decided to act up today at work. Always fun when you reach for a pen and your back seizes up. Had to nurse it all day walking hunched over and walking very gently. Moving is painful but if I sit it will only get worse, so I do my computer work standing up. The ride home will be doable until it's time to get out of the car, that was painful. I take longer than normal to get on the old spandex and Doctor Zipp TTBike is going to make a visit today. Plan is to do my 15 mile TT route, and by mile 2 the pain is starting to disappear, and by the turn around the pain was gone and it was time to make up for lost time. Like I said the legs are killing it right now and I hammer out the 54/12 like there was no tomorrow. Ended up doing the second half 3:26 quicker than the first half, and finished off at 22.2mph. The weather is still cooler than what I like at 75 degrees with a minor wind at 6-9. Back is starting to tighten back up so will nurse it tonight, and see how it is for tomorrow.

Reactions: steve
Consecutive day 59 of riding:

Damn, Zipp, I hope that back feels better for you. 22 MPH is smokin' it! Nice!

80 degrees here and sunny with a light wind of 6 to 7 MPH. Ran the shop vac around the basement and did a couple little chores which left me with time for a quick 21-mile sprint. The legs were still out to lunch a bit, but switched on for the final 10 miles or so.

Only 600' of climbing and it was fun looking around and checking out the Summer countryside...still green and looking great!

Intervals today. VO2 max kind. Two sets of five. Beautiful day. Spin 16 miles out to my 5 minute hill coming off the river and into dark woods with trees coming in at you, sort of my little pain cave. It usually takes me 5:00-5:10 to go up this hill with 4:50 being my best time ever.

Today.......4:06!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be the "new" old gaudy Eye Talian bike. Could it be the bike? Maybe it is the beer. I started drinking beer after racing cross country. My FTP is 267 watts just off my best of 270 watts in the Spring but my 5 minute power has gone from 311 W to 350 watts. Small numbers but the increase in the 5 minute Rouleur is pretty huge for me on a relative basis.

The only pity is performing this kind of workout on an unbelievably nice day.

76 degrees 11-13 wind and a nice rolling 25.84 miles. The back's not playing nice again today, but the legs just want to play so it's a wash. Ran into a husband and wife riding today who were from just over the border in NH. They were finishing off a century ride, only about 9 miles left when we crossed paths.
Stay safe out their everyone !

Consecutive day 60 of riding:

24 miles in beautiful 85 degree warmth! The sun was shining and the wind was 10 to 15 MPH, so a little stiff when the gusts hit.

Only 820' worth of climbing and the pace was a moderate 16.3 MPH avg. Another fun ride.