Did You Ride Today?

Yuuuup! An easy 15 miler around a local industrial center just to spin up and relax my legs.

Old Fart ha ha!

DSCN1772.JPG

What a weird intersection. I had not been on this street so I headed up to explore. Looked basic up and down with a sight curve at the top. So I get down the second street and where the heck am I ha ha! Should have been up, across then down but wow. Ended up doing this loop 4 times just to try understanding what was happening.

DSCN1764.JPG

Other sections of the center were pretty basic and I had done these streets before but that one little loop haha!

DSCN1769.JPG
DSCN1762.JPG

Reactions: zipp2001
I figure Beanz may be on lockdown now. Hope he is safe. I did ride yesterday, nice temps and fairly dry roads. I did experience shortness of breath and fatigue two of the symptoms. I was on a 20% grade so I think I am still healthy. A great time to do solo rides. Fresh air and social distance.

Lockdown, not yet suckah ha ha! There is a lockdown but the can do list includes riding bikes. :cool:

A couple Thursdays back I did a group ride. First time with the bunch, good people, strong women!

25 mile ride at 15.5 speed. Not too fast but had an 18.5 average on the way out. That sure changed on the way back with a rolling climb back to the start. Close to 1,000 ft on the final 12 miles. :D

Made a video 'bout it!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DSCN1778.JPG
DSCN1779.JPG

Then this past Sunday, did another ride with the group. 6 of us started further out for a 52 mile ride. Then met up with a bigger group who did 33 miles. Kind of a big group so it's hard to stay together. Trying to stay with my buds but then the group speeds up, kind of confusing so I held back to keep our original group together not really knowing the other riders doing the short ride.

014.JPG

6 of us starting further out. Wet at the start, dirty bikes but no rain!

01.JPG

Lunch stop at the beach. My bud Mike (left) saw me with the group then joined in too.

000hb.jpg

Wednesday eve, I did a late eve ride around an industrial center just to spin up and relax my legs. Pretty nice riding in the peace of the darkness. Not much traffic so did a few loops for 15 miles. Finished up about 10:30 at night. Fun riding alone sometimes and I could see Corona from here! :eek:

Actually the city of Corona is just a few miles away so at night, one can see the lights up in the hills! :D

DSCN1837.JPG
DSCN1830.JPG
DSCN1821.JPG

Social distancing, solo Old Fart 50 miles at 16.6 average speed. Kind of breezy. I ask other riders if it is windy or is it just me? They agreed it was windy. Good, I don't suck after all ha ha!

Amazingly, there were more people on the trail today than ever. Freeways are light but the trail? Thought I might be the only one out there but lots of big cycling groups.

So much for social distancing. Saw some families with their kids but cycling groups, I was shocked.

DSCN1852-600.JPG

I tried to strike a pose after the ride but I don't think I'm too good at it ha ha!

DSCN1856-600.JPG

26 miles with Gina at 16.2 average speed. She hasn't been on the bike for a month now. Before that, not much as well. So I was pretty happy with her speed on a short ride with the breeze. She really suffered the last 2 miles though. But she did .7 MPH faster than her ride last month so I guess I shouldn't complain ha ha!

I did leave my bottle at a park heading to the coast. Darn! I figured it would still be there on the return leg with the virus threat and all. Who would want to touch it ha ha!? It was still there so I got it back 1 1/2 hour later. I will soak it to be safe though.

I am totally shocked at the LARGE groups of cyclist out though. So much for social distancing. Did look like people that wouldn't really care if they infected others anyway. Bunch of ***** looking people. I am not afraid of the virus myself but I sure would to take a chance pretending I'm Lance in a peleton only to bring the virus home to kill off my again mother.

All smiles at the start of the ride.

DSCN1857.JPG

DSCN1871.JPG

Suffered last couple of miles so looking kind of beat after the ride. Even Charlie on her seat pack is dropping his head. :D

DSCN1873.JPG

Almost lost my blue nipple! :p

DSCN1874.JPG

Yes, 16.7 miles around an industrial center to test a Chesty GoPro mount I've had for years and only used twice. Taking some test video figuring if I should use it later on a group ride. Then strangely, my saddle felt kind of low for me. I know it did not slip as I mark the post with tape. Hey, maybe I'm still growing. But anyway a nice ride with lots of experimenting at 13.7 average speed.

50 degrees out here today which felt much cooler.

DSCN1885a.JPG
DSCN1889.JPG

I found my tights behind my truck seat so I wore them today. Well they have been for like 2 years ha ha! :D

DSCN1891.JPG

Riding at night with no hands practicing for a video. Some guy I know thinks it's really a talent and posts his vids often so I did one at night not thinking it takes much to ride with no hands. Been doing it since I was about 5 years old but he'll surely be impressed ha ha!:p

DSCN1893.JPG

The video. :D

First commute of the season on the nice drop bar bike. It’s been cold enough in the mornings to have some ice on the roads, so I’ve kept using the ebike, which has studded tires on. Now, we’d had a dry spell so I decided to risk it. Bike felt great, my lower back, not so much. Blamed it on the backpack I had to carry. Gotta get the old drop bar bike set up for utility riding. Fenders and Rack. Pannier is so much more body-friendly than riding with a backpack. I’m well versed in pain and discomfort and unless there’s a clear payoff from it, I do my best to avoid it.
Had the really nice wheels on too, Mavic R-sys. Have to find something cheaper for everyday riding. I’d be gutted if a careless motorist gave me nudge that retired those.

Yup, did a ride up a local mtn road. 22.4 miles with 3,015 ft gain. The higher you go, the chillier it gets ha ha! But with the issues of the world today, this road was closed to vehicular traffic so made for a sweet ride up the mountain.

Almost to the top, another 1/4 mile.

DSCN1905-600.JPG
DSCN1910-600.JPG
DSCN1903.JPG

Nothing but switchbacks the first 8 miles.

DSCN1926.JPG

Yup, rode again today. 26 miles with Gina at a 15.4 pace. Sounds slow but man there was a stiff headwind. All the underpasses with the wind made it feel like I was back in the mountains again ha ha!

Of course I read the forecast to Gina last night chance of showers, then this morn, no showers but cool. Get to the trail, steps out of the truck and says shes cold but didn't bring her jacket. Man, sh'ed forget her bike if I didn't bring it. So it's a good thing I come prepared. Not like the first time I give up my jacket for girls who don't bring their sheot! I'm always prepared but never get to wear my jacket anyway! :p

Sure looks happy and warm in my jacket.:mad:

00a.JPG

As you can see, I was prepared.:D

00b.JPG

She gives me my jacket back after the ride so I tell her she should strike a sexy pose for me. This is what came out. Not sure what to make of it! :D:p:D

00c.JPG

Yes rode again today! 47 solo miles at 16.9 average speed. Man it was windy today in strange ways. Heading north with a tailwind first 5 miles then a stiff head wind for another 10. Nice tailwind for 10 miles then a stiff headwind heading south for another 14. Dropped my average by 4 points by the time I got to the coast. Legs were tired so it was nice having a tailwind for the final 10 miles. :D

Plenty of people still out cycling and walking but not in groups. The restrooms were closed but good for me, just needed water.

01.JPG
02.JPG
06.JPG

Yes, but today really sucked ha ha!

Drove down to the trail and it was soaked, still drizzling hard. Usually it doesn't rain with a 50% chance so today with a 2%, didn't think it would rain and it was dry here at home. Planned a 32 miler but didn't turn out that way. Sat there for a few minutes thinking it would stop but either way, the trail was super wet and that means more cleaning the bikes than riding. Screw it!

So we headed home and still dry here. So I stopped off at the industrial center where I ride at night and got Gina out to do an easy 10 miler just to spin up the legs. Kind of nice though. I got to see what was actually there, nothing ha ha! But I did get to see what the place looked like vs the night rides.

Used my usual K-Edge mounts to do a front and rear view video because the one I tried to make really sucked ha ha!

So anyway, a short video.

and a chance to take more pics.

02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG

Went out yesterday on a short ride. Only passed 4 cars, still lots of people out moving about on the busier roads. Perfect weather. No encounters with dogs but I hope they will respect the 6 foot boundary if I do.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Yup, I rode today. 47 solo miles at 16.4 average speed. Last week was 16.9 and wanted to top it but the freakin' wind. Felt good at the start then heading to the coast, the headwind was stiff. I had been relaxing some saving energy just in case it got windy. But didn't help. Had to fight a stiff headwind for 10 miles. Brought my average down below what it was this time last week. So I knew I was screwed. Oh well, it's all good and I'm out there for exercise, I got it! :p

They say it never gets easier, you just go faster!
Not so over here ha ha! More like, it never gets easier, it just keeps getting windier.

Sad news though. A buddy of mine got a new bike about 2 months ago (Carbon roadie 4,000). New tires too! He took a spill and now in the hospital with a fractured scapula, and 2 vertebrae.

The mask was OK for the first 30 or so other than fogging the glasses a little. But after 30 when I headed into the stiff headwind, I found myself sucking wind and the mask did not help. Could not get enough air and the mask was moving inward toward my mouth with every huff and puff. I ended up pulling it down around my chin when others were not around.

No mandatory mask where I ride (Orange County) but wore one anyway just to be safe and test it out. OK on short rides I guess. Gets a little soggy after 35 or so. The fibers start coming out sticking to the lips, yuck! Will have to look for something a bit more shear.

A few have told me that I'm much better looking with a mask on! :D

DSCN1989.JPG

No mask for me. I would suffocate on the climbs and I ride in a rural area so low risk. There are only 10 active cases of the virus in this county. Only had one pitbull that broke the social distancing rule. Perfect weather yesterday but today is a bit wet with heavy rain and storms on the way. I am also making good progress on my boat. New decking , carpet and now have the fencing reinstalled. Looking forward to getting on the water.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
No mask for me. I would suffocate on the climbs and I ride in a rural area so low risk.

Wish this was a low pop place but the trail we ride has plenty of people around. Now more people than cyclists. Plenty of wide open area but the park areas have plenty of walkers. Not a problem, most are well behaved and organized and covered faces.

But the thing that really surprises me is the arrogance of the cyclists riding in 10+ groups. I only saw 2 such groups today so it's an improvement. But 10+ close quarters no masks, I feel sorry for their families. Of course I don't worry about getting sick and feel I would recover but I have my 81 year old mother to think about. Too many carriers out there I am sure and pretty sure most of those guys have family at home.