Did You Ride Today?

I did z Thursday Ride yesterday. Just 1600 feet of climbing and 38 miles. Average moving speed was 10.6 mph according to the Garmin. Now on a flat ride my averages are usually around 11.5 and I simply cannot understand how people are reporting 18 and 20 mph averages..

As far as 11 mph range, I'd do a 41 mile ride with 5,000+ ft of gain to slow me down to the 11.1 average range. Not bad for a 240 pound rider eh? :D

That's what I like about Strava and videos, they don't lie! :p

GMR Strava.JPG

The video of the climb with my buddy Ron. I outweigh him by 70 pounds.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/dz3lY3-EmbI

I did this ride 4 times over a period of 6 years to test myself. I was mid 40's, 225 pounds and my best was 7:10 minutes right around a 14.08 average speed. Didn't have a garmin back then so no strava. Strava wasn't even around.

And sadly the Orange County Wheelman did away with the ride and erased all the internet results posted on the net. :mad:

This was my best climbing. 100 miles with 10,000 ft of gain at 14.08 average speed. Out on the road with stops and all!

profile1.jpg

This one I did with less training. I only know the time on the first 72 because they stop the clock at the top of the climbs 72 miles in.

9 mph average speed over 72 miles with 12,000 ft of gain. Not bad for a 235 pound rider. :D

Total ride 114 miles. All downhill to the end.

profile3.jpg

My wife Gina has only done 800 miles this year and still averaging 16.2 on a 30 mile ride. But she has been cycling for 24 years with me so she's does pretty well. Lost her son almost 2 years ago and the second one some serious health issues so I suggest she spends her Saturdays with him rather than cycling. We still have time to enjoy it later, he doesn't have a whole lot of time.

So, with all that is going on, being 59 years old, having one kidney, I think she still does pretty well only having 800 miles this year when her average over the last 24 has been 2,000-3,000 miles per year. I will say we have ridden with many forum members and most have struggled to keep up with her when she puts in the miles. Almost a joke for many of the male members trying to keep up with her. They underestimate her big time so they laugh and get a kick out of trying to keep up. Her best on a 43 mile ride is 18.1 average speed.

Not much riding and still in the 16's.

GInaBeanz.JPG

Cruising on the trail and a windy day. Still in the 16's with not much effort.

View: https://youtu.be/2k-MHzeYri4

I did z Thursday Ride yesterday. Just 1600 feet of climbing and 38 miles. . Average moving speed was 10.6 mph according to the Garmin. Now on a flat ride my averages are usually around 11.5 and I simply cannot understand how people are reporting 18 and 20 mph averages.

The other day, we did a similar ride, half of it in the dark. 32 miles at 14.2 with 1,581 ft of climbing. I have to say then night darkness slows us down having to concentrate on the debris and obstacles. But with traffic, A LOT OF TRAFFIC stops etc, still not bad. :D

This was pretty much a cruise with not much effort. I use mid week rides as relax and recoup rides.

Snickers.JPG

The video!

View: https://youtu.be/KeRNSkWHrbc

Sadly we have moved since this time but we had the perfect workout playground outside our front door. We would do a couple of midweek rides. From our door, a 3 mile climb starting at 4% for the first 2 miles, then a 5% for about 3/4 of a mile, then 7% into an 11% steep ramp at the top. Gina doesn't like to climb but we would do it to build up a little strength.

Depending on how she felt, we'd do it 2 to 3 times. 10 miles with about 1,100 ft of gain. We'd go ride the flat trails and she would fly. Lots of guys would comment saying how she was strong and they underestimated her. Most of them we were passing. Many would ask how she got so strong. Didn't shy away from the climbs. Her best is a 20 mile climb with 5,000 ft of gain up Mt. Baldy.

But that's what it takes to get some strength and pick up the speeds a bit. :D

View: https://youtu.be/O_wPE_C0ImM

Another 28 miles with my buddy Sandra last night. 1400 ft of gain. She likes the hills. We both used to ride with a group. I guess we didn't fit in because they like to and have been doing the same ride for 15 years from what I'm told and have seen in videos. Same 24 mile course with 600 ft gain. So we both thought it would be more interesting to leave the wannabe racer types and do some different rides and courses with more gain and longer distances.

Working out really well. We're doing longer rides with more gain and at faster speeds! :D

upload_2021-8-27_16-45-55.png

View: https://youtu.be/5V2CgimLDIs

Supposed to be really hot here today, inland. Plenty of foothills lately and last few weeks so I figured I'd give the trail to the beach a try hoping for cooler air. Started earlier as well. Cool most of the time, average temp of 80 degrees and a high of 90. I was surprised with a little drizzle at the coast.

I wanted to ride alone, like to do my own efforts. So I ended up with 45 miles and an average speed of 17.1. :cool:

DSCN1105.JPG

Capture22.JPG

Another 31 with Gina today, 15.6 average speed. Nice easy pace ride. I needed it, these legs are getting old ha ha ha! This ride put me 13 miles away for 500 for the month. 22,000 ft of gain this month. I haven't done this much climbing in a while so the legs really appreciated the flat easy ride today. Breathing is really good but the legs are fighting back. :D

01-500.JPG

Did it! As much as I didn't want to go out last night, I did just to crush my goal of 400 miles per month.
Crushed it with 503 miles with 22,508 ft of gain. :D

Digging out my Oldie 1998 Cannondale for a ride tonight.

20210831_165252.JPG

Not dark enough yet. I enjoy riding in the dark more than daylight nowadays.

20210831_192534.JPG

Not bad, $4.87 for 4 reflector bands at Wally World. Little rolls that wrap around. I have big ankles so they barely make it but they stay on. I use one on my wrist as well for moving my arm at night signaling etc. Fits well. Fit around my friend's ankle being much smaller than I am. I always use ankle bands, the tri color that are a bit more expensive 2 for $16 when I bought them). But I found these yellow single bands to be way more luminous than the tri color. For that price and less than 5 bucks, I'll take em! Been testing them the last 3 weeks and I'm impressed for the price.

20210831_202304.JPG

Reactions: zipp2001
I rode yesterday but it is pouring rain right now. It was a very nice day but those will be few and far between now.

Getting out of the city contains many stop lights and signs so it is impossible for me to average more than 11.5 mph on rides. On a day I was really pounding and I hit most of the lights I averaged 14 mph for 25 miles. So your wife sounds like Super woman to me. Although January is usually the cold dry month I managed to get in 200 miles so far. February and March will probably have a lot of rain so I can only hope to put in that much per month. if the weather is warm enough.

A few weeks ago I've decided to do 5 miles daily. I burned around 300 calories every day. Now I've got a new road bike. Today did 8 miles. This bike is much more comfortable to ride than my previous one. Very happy with it