Did You Ride Today?

Actually one reason I don't dare chase anyone is my heavy 40 lbs bike. Although I can drop many on the long and constant efforts, if I try to match their acceleration on my 40 lb beast, it will be an all-out effort and would surely bonk my long ride. A really stupid thing for me to do!

today a very short steep road ride done on my hybrid up to the Cal pine geothermal works.

Pjamm lists the climb as having one of the steeper paved miles in the US and the steepest paved grade in the Lake, Sonoma and Napa counties. Perhaps one of the steps paved miles around.

The data for this climb online was all over the place , a few YT videos referenced the climb as as much and beyond 20 percent grade in spots. I had figured nothing new
lots around my house just not as long duration.
I figured would bang it out that 4 miles of climb in hour 15 minutes , about 1700ft of vertical gain.

The first 3 plus miles were brutal , but hit them pretty hard. Was on my hybrid which has great climbing gears. I was able to stay in middle chairing and a 30 inch gear up until the last mile or so . Then had to resort to the little ring to even keep moving . Soon I lost morale , and made the decision to just turn around and ride the slope back down. Was a failure , gave up ! Was wearing knee brace and my knees were still screaming it was getting warm and no shade since the fires years back.

Ride back down was a verysketchy. I was being careful to control my speed , and my brakes were acting a little grabby heating up. The turns were not sharp but still picked up unwanted speed.

Weekdays the road gets lots of of truck traffic -the bouncing trucks have distorted the asphalt so some expert bike handing was warranted. The road suffers cupping from the weighted trucks , so some bouncing and vibration. I did run a lower pressure than usual that road.
Did smell the brakes at one point , and at the bottom of hill where I parked - like a dummy touched the disks. Yes very hot!. Didn't want to go all out on a road for the first time.

Must say fist time I saw a run -away truck ramp on rural road. And there were three run -away ramps! One per mile it seems.

I'd turned around defeated just past the third run-away truck ramp on way up. Im sure the final stretch is hell. Didn't know but was just prolly 3/4 mile and 400 vertical from summit - a dead end. I love out & backs .You get to preview the decent on the way up , if you're sharp.

Will go back to conquer soon. Might not be able to ascend on a road bike being Im limited to a a 32" gear. At least the Hybrid pampers me with a 22" low gear and 38c semi slick tires. Just running 40 PSI , could be why so slow!
21F8520E-F97E-476C-A483-E7C26FAC5742.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually one reason I don't dare chase anyone is my heavy 40 lbs bike. Although I can drop many on the long and constant efforts, if I try to match their acceleration on my 40 lb beast, it will be an all-out effort and would surely bonk my long ride. A really stupid thing for me to do!
I don't try to sprint often. I keep a steady effort figuring I'm going to catch those burning their energy.

I did a seated sprint hitting 32 mph. Some people have said I should work on my sprint. WHY? I rarely need one sprint hit 32 on the flats. I usually chase down the runners holdinga pace. :D

Reactions: cobbwheels
I climbed a local road, 8 miles 2300 ft of gain on my mountain bike, 40 psi. Compared to my roadie, it took me about double the time to climb up the same ride. :D

I don't know why, but 10 to 20 lbs heavier bike is like 10% added weight overall (your weight + your bike's). Maybe less for you but over 10% in my case.

However, the differences in actual climbing speed is bigger and the effective power output is also higher on the lighter bike (even after you account for less weight).

Doesn't make sense right? o_OBut happens in reality anyway and the differences get bigger in steeper climbs!

My only theory is that in steeper climbs, we're doing work just to keep from sliding downhill backward even if we're not moving at all! The faster we climb, the more efficient we become BUT risk going deep into the 'red zone' and the straightforward solution is reduce weight and also reduce drag through aero and the tires. I'm not sure how true that statement is but that is how I feel.

I don't try to sprint often. I keep a steady effort figuring I'm going to catch those burning their energy.

I did a seated sprint hitting 32 mph. Some people have said I should work on my sprint. WHY? I rarely need one sprint hit 32 on the flats. I usually chase down the runners holdinga pace. :D

I rarely sprint myself on my bicycle except on the indoor trainer and sprinting is part of my indoor training sessions. But I try to avoid it in actual rides unless in short rides in order to get ahead of traffic.

I also sprint seated. I can sprint standing but only if I get paid to do it and a health insurance to back it up! But when I'm doing >4 hr rides, I avoid sprinting until the last few miles of the ride. Sprint early in a >4 hr ride and you will likely regret it later on!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Weekdays the road gets lots of of truck traffic -the bouncing trucks have distorted the asphalt so some expert bike handing was warranted. The road suffers cupping from the weighted trucks , so some bouncing and vibration. I did run a lower pressure than usual that road.
Did smell the brakes at one point , and at the bottom of hill where I parked - like a dummy touched the disks. Yes very hot!. Didn't want to go all out on a road for the first time.

Braking on bumpy descents is always tricky as improper braking can upset the bike's handling over the bumps. Having seatpost suspension really helps here, not only in comfort but to maximize wheel contact with the road.

I use a technique called "Air braking". I stand on one pedal and remove the other foot the pedal and hang it all the way down, get my back upright and stick out my elbows to maximize aero drag. This will help you minimize use of brakes to keep it cool, avoid brake fade, reduce wear. Air braking won't upset the bike's handling either.

Although you're 'standing' on one pedal with air braking, you should keep your butt over the saddle, resting lightly on it with minimal pressure. Because standing during high speed descent with your butt totally off the saddle could make the bike's handling unstable and dangerous. The air braking posture will also help relax and stretch your back and arms after hours of riding in aero posture. It will also cool you down rapidly after a hard climb in hot climate. It's a very good descending technique to learn when you're into long rides and makes mountain rides a lot more pleasant.

Yes , I do get it "air braking" - maximize bodies surface chest up in the wind elbows out . Not sure how much upright would have helped on this specific downgrade with the 3 runaway truck ramps.

My survival instinct said get low and get my weight back. Deer had crossed the road while on the way up . Hadn't gone much over 40mph since back on a bike 10 months ago after 26 year absence . This run was hitting 44mph braking in-between the corners and bumps. Letting it roll-out would be a easy 50 mph plus

I believe a hill steep enough for 3 run away truck ramps the air baking not much effect I'm keeping feet locked in!

Having watched cyclocross and the pro roadie on YT that rides his bike onto the rack on top of compact car , I might imagine that -what cobbwheels describes with the foot off. Agreed head up chest in the wind is great for some downgrades .

BTW Im clip-less , (step-in) on all my bikes short of my beach cruiser.

Mr beanz comment about taking twice as long on the MTB , interesting . I noticed that on my hybrid when I "gave in" and dropped into the low chainring and because it was easier , I took it easier. And slowed to a crawl.
My heart rate dropped not struggling to keep the pedals turning in the taller gear. I'm really impressed of the roadie who did this on road bike and post on YT. Even more impressive on one of his runs is wet surface. I did not watch the videos carefully , wanted to be surprised and I was.

Surprised I gave up before the summit that is . Felt like a quitter, I try again another day.

Having watched cyclocross and the pro roadie on YT that rides his bike onto the rack on top of compact car , I might imagine that -what cobbwheels describes with the foot off. Agreed head up chest in the wind is great for some downgrades .

Air braking is more effective the faster you're going. Unzipping your jersey will add up to the drag as well. While it won't slow you down by much but the very least, you avoid brake over-use and possible over-heating which can lead to brake fade.

Yes, it's the same way MTB riders take one foot off the pedal and hold it close to the ground in a sharp turn in case the bike drifts or skid, to avoid falling down and crash. This way, you have both feet down but with your butt still over the saddle and allows the most upright whole body posture on the bike.

Standing with both feet on the pedals is the wrong way to do it. This gets you off the saddle completely and is unstable and dangerous at high speed. You need butt contact with the saddle at all times for high speed stability

"Standing with both feet on the pedals is the wrong way to do it. This gets you off the saddle completely and is unstable and dangerous at high speed. You need butt contact with the saddle at all times for high speed stability"

I'll let you do it your way. I'm staying both feet on pedals . Part of how I push the bike where I want on and off-road..

"Yes, it's the same way MTB riders take one foot off the pedal and hold it close to the ground in a sharp turn in case the bike drifts or skid, to avoid falling down and crash. This way, you have both feet down but with your butt still over the saddle"

There's the MTB riders that ride clipped in , myself included .
I enter turns often in a drift with one or both tires and exit a bit loose, perhaps a flick if that's what they are calling it. I'm actually impressed how loose you can get a 29" bike and not set it down.

Sure there has been a few technical climbs this winter where I tipped over either side clipped in . A little mud and embarrassment. Cyclo-cross riders use clip-less pedals . Not for everyone !

128 kilometers per hour high speed professional. No contact on the saddle.

I do lift myself off the saddle on descents at times but shift my weight backwards while standing on the pedals. Learned safety descending tip while riding mountain bikes on rough descents. Actually safer at times helping distribute the riders weight along the bike. Good position on the road bike and mountain bike while riding over or through rough terrain.

His butt ain't on the saddle. :D

Screenshot_20230501_205211_YouTube.jpg

128 kilometers per hour high speed professional. No contact on the saddle.

I do lift myself off the saddle on descents at times but shift my weight backwards while standing on the pedals. Learned safety descending tip while riding mountain bikes on rough descents. Actually safer at times helping distribute the riders weight along the bike. Good position on the road bike and mountain bike while riding over or through rough terrain.

His butt ain't on the saddle. :D

View attachment 5824

That's true, but he is quite secured over the top tube, that works too!

The problem I'm speaking of is you're off the saddle and not straddling the top tube as well with the contact points on the bike mainly on the hands and feet only and you have more weight over the rear tires. It can cause a dangerous 'shimmy' on high speed descents. Sprints are stable because your weight is closer to the front wheel and whenever you're pedaling out of the saddle. Same with 'aero tuck' in your picture because you have more weight over the front wheel.

Did 71 miles today about 9000' of climb 105 F 64% humidity.

No eating, no stopping, only two bottles of water. It was awful, mainly from the heat and reducing the nose down tilt of my saddle from -20 degrees to -12. My butt didn't like the -12 saddle tilt on climbs and had a bit of saddle soreness as well as soreness in the lumbar area (core muscles). Fortunately, no chaffing and it should fully heal for my next long ride next weekend. I still made personal best on this ride.

I pushed harder on this ride, spending more time in tempo. Better confidence on the route and getting better acquainted with my physiological limitations. I'm pretty sure I'm doing tempo because I can't talk to my imaginary friend anymore without losing breath!

40 solo miles. First 20 upward bound. Second 20 down bound but freaking wind, I was doing 14 down hill.

Getting ready Gina asked if I wanted to ride in my New Jersey. I said no I want to ride in my California ha ha ha.

Guess you had to be there.

Attachments

• 20230506_130839.jpg
    20230506_130839.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230506_111603.jpg
    20230506_111603.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230506_094831.jpg
    20230506_094831.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230506_111213.jpg
    20230506_111213.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 3
40 solo miles. First 20 upward bound. Second 20 down bound but freaking wind, I was doing 14 down hill.

Getting ready Gina asked if I wanted to ride in my New Jersey. I said no I want to ride in my California ha ha ha.

Guess you had to be there.

On my yesterday's ride, my downhill speed got capped to 20 mph because a group of motorcyclists riding abreast brought their GF's with them and the GF's threatened to hit them in the face if they went faster than 20 mph!:D

I passed them once but became a leap-frogging contest in the rolling terrain portions so I decided to just stay behind them some distance. I like headwinds on descents, saves use of brakes!

I'd take slow motorcyclists any time, than those who takes these mountain roads at 120 mph! They pose the biggest risk to us cyclists here in the Philippines . Unfortunately, they're not few but many and just one collision with these is pretty much the end! Deadly motorcycle accidents are very common here.

Did 71 miles with 5500' climbing, 105 F temperature. I think 'F' here isn't Fahrenheit but "F*****g hot!".

But my body seemed to have adapted to the conditions already as I didn't notice the heat, only sweat little, and only consumed 1 and a half bottle of water. The improvement was evident with reduced loss in body weight. I weighed 116 lbs heading out and only went down to 110 lbs at the end of the ride. On previous rides I lost more weight and went as low as 107 lbs!

I also did this ride with my saddle restored to 20 degrees nose down tilt. Greatly improved comfort and felt fresh until the end of my ride. NOT UCI legal..... BUT some saddles can give you the same amount of support without breaking UCI rules, I simply can't afford them! I made good time, the best until the last hour of the ride where I got slowed by slow-moving traffic. Happens all the time, but this weekend, the traffic is the worst, even my face mask became blackened by soot from vehicle exhaust at the nose and mouth.

I suppose that is one reason I ride fasted (semi-dry or under-hydrated). I've read the benefits of riding in such condition and one of the main benefit is preventing cancer via 'autophagy' and 'ketosis' like getting chemotherapy each ride:D. I suppose it's a good thing when your riding conditions have high levels of air pollution. I don't do any ketogenic diets, it's too expensive, too rigid, and produces adaptation that makes your body too dependent on the diet. I try to achieve ketosis purely by riding / working out in a fasted state. It's the cheapest, simplest way to do it but not the easiest, probably the hardest and you'll suffer terribly until your body has adapted to it but hey, beggars can't be choosers!

That's some serious climbing in those Temps Cobb.

3 Extra Miles for Mary Tour. 43 solo miles at 15.8 mph average speed. Lady at work was nice enough to bring Pan Mexicano ( Mexican bakery sweet bread for the gringos ). She offered a piece but I refused saying I had to ride tomorrow. She said ok, take a piece then ride an extra mile. Then she said, MAKE IT 3 MILES. So I did the extra 3 for Mary. River's Edge Cafe is open again but I didn't notice the new name. I did finish at 40 miles then headed back out for the other 3.

Then some fajitas with Gina after the ride.

Attachments

• 20230513_163712.jpg
    20230513_163712.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230513_163704.jpg
    20230513_163704.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230513_124410.jpg
    20230513_124410.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230513_121737.jpg
    20230513_121737.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 2
That's some serious climbing in those Temps Cobb.

3 Extra Miles for Mary Tour. 43 solo miles at 15.8 mph average speed. Lady at work was nice enough to bring Pan Mexicano ( Mexican bakery sweet bread for the gringos ). She offered a piece but I refused saying I had to ride tomorrow. She said ok, take a piece then ride an extra mile. Then she said, MAKE IT 3 MILES. So I did the extra 3 for Mary. River's Edge Cafe is open again but I didn't notice the new name. I did finish at 40 miles then headed back out for the other 3.

Then some fajitas with Gina after the ride.

That looked so delicious! It was hot but didn't feel hot until the end of the ride when I stopped. I pushed harder than I ever did on this ride so I guess the increased air flow and breathing harder kept me cool.

Solo 20 today. Just me and my spiders. Didn't see one person going my way while coming and going. New shorts breaking in well.

Attachments

• 20230514_114859.jpg
    20230514_114859.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230514_114800.jpg
    20230514_114800.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230514_114600.jpg
    20230514_114600.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230514_105925.jpg
    20230514_105925.jpg