die to clean axle threads

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dennis Schoenma, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Hello

    I have an old GT BMX hub with the axle threads all messed up from the fork, making dissassembly
    and adjustment difficult. Using a ruler I think the threading of the axle is 5/16" 24 tpi which
    is listed in Barnett's manual. However I can not find a replacement in any of the local shops or
    on the internet. Does any one know if I can use a standard 5/16-24 UNF die to clean up the
    threads on the axle?

    Thanks for your help, Dennis Schoenmaker

    Tags:

  2. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 9 Apr 2003 06:02:12 -0700, [email protected] (Dennis Schoenmaker) wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I have an old GT BMX hub with the axle threads all messed up from the fork, making dissassembly and
    >adjustment difficult. Using a ruler I think the threading of the axle is 5/16" 24 tpi which is
    >listed in Barnett's manual. However I can not find a replacement in any of the local shops or on
    >the internet. Does any one know if I can use a standard 5/16-24 UNF die to clean up the threads on
    >the axle?

    If you're SURE the axle is threaded 5/16 x 24 then no problem, however a caliper and a thread gauge
    is better than a ruler as a way to find out. Assuming the threads are only messed up where they
    contacted the fork, then the die should thread on easily for the first couple of turns. If not,
    perhaps it's the wrong size.

  3. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis Schoenmaker) wrote:

    > I have an old GT BMX hub with the axle threads all messed up from the fork, making dissassembly
    > and adjustment difficult. Using a ruler I think the threading of the axle is 5/16" 24 tpi which is
    > listed in Barnett's manual.

    BMX hubs are either 3/8"-24 or 3/8"-26. The former is a UNF thread and the latter a bike-specific
    British bastard thread. Check by meshing against an axle of known thread pitch.

    If you are sure that what you have is a 5/16" axle, I would suggest buying a new axle kit (with
    cones and locknuts) in a more normal size. As long as you approximately match the diameter and taper
    of the bearing surfaces on the cones, you'll have no problem.

    If you've got a UNF-threaded axle, yes you can use a die to chase the threads.

    Chalo Colina

  4. Dennis Schoenmaker wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an old GT BMX hub with the axle threads all messed up from the fork, making dissassembly
    > and adjustment difficult. Using a ruler I think the threading of the axle is 5/16" 24 tpi which is
    > listed in Barnett's manual. However I can not find a replacement in any of the local shops or on
    > the internet. Does any one know if I can use a standard 5/16-24 UNF die to clean up the threads on
    > the axle?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Dennis Schoenmaker

    take it to a good LBS, they will have the 'chaser' you need.

  5. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    >On 9 Apr 2003 06:02:12 -0700, [email protected] (Dennis Schoenmaker) wrote:

    >>I have an old GT BMX hub with the axle threads all messed up from the fork, making dissassembly
    >>and adjustment difficult. Using a ruler I think the threading of the axle is 5/16" 24 tpi which is
    >>listed in Barnett's manual. However I can not find a replacement in any of the local shops or on
    >>the internet. Does any one know if I can use a standard 5/16-24 UNF die to clean up the threads on
    >>the axle?

    Try a couple of good quality 5/16-24 nuts on the axle just to check the thread size. If they fit
    okay, then try the die. If it is the right size it will not remove any significant material until it
    gets to the damaged area.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  6. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    a nice new thread file plus (a) clean surface plus loctite is inexpensive and of utility. if you go,
    dip the die in linseed before storing. can one buy 10x1 metric axle dies inexpensively and where?