diet advice on knee ligament injury

zander said:
61 chainring overview;
(pics deleted)
just why you think i would waste this much time on a BS story is a little weird.
Pictures of a chainring do nothing to prove that you are constantly riding around on a 53-12 with a 110 cadence at 38 MPH, without exhaustion! And that little jewel about riding up a 70-85 degree hill using the 61 chainring is especially entertaining.

You came to this forum seeking advice on cadence, optimal cycling gear ratios, and the gear ratios likely to damage your knees. All of your questions were answered within the first few replies to each of your posts. Yet despite all of our advice, you act as if your incredibly high gear ratios are perfectly normal. They are not.

So now my question to you is:
If you have no intention of heeding anyone's advice, why even ask for it?

Pictures of a chainring do nothing to prove that you are constantly riding around on a 53-12 with a 110 cadence at 38 MPH, without exhaustion! And that little jewel about riding up a 70-85 degree hill using the 61 chainring is especially entertaining.

You came to this forum seeking advice on cadence, optimal cycling gear ratios, and the gear ratios likely to damage your knees. All of your questions were answered within the first few replies to each of your posts. Yet despite all of our advice, you act as if your incredibly high gear ratios are perfectly normal. They are not.

gimme two minutes...

scotty dog;
A change in your diet will not fix that problem.
sorry, missed what i should've taken from that, so what will? get a haircut? lose some weight? run away to the circus? this isn't advice.

martin williams;
Diet wont do diddley squat for your ligament pain. Simply get a more normal chainring set,
see much better, get a normal chainring. after this i asked what is considered normal. i asked if a 55 was normal.

martin williams
55 is more common and reasonable. Not really necesary though.
see? fantastic advice 55 is getting there but your still over the top.

and then i asked if a 57/53 chainring would be fine (wrongly as i later found out) because i thought 53 was still kind of easy, and that i could go no handed up hills with a 53/21. i was asked where these hills were and i said scotland, then i asked my unanswered question again, 'so is this setup more reasonable?' then there was a reply of the hills thing again.
then i said the 110 rpm thing and you wrote that thing about not knowing about cadence, so i couldn't possibly make a claim like that even though, cadence wasn't mentioned in the claim at all.

zander
i get over 110 RPM's constant with a 53, without exhaustion, i just got bored and thought getting a bigger ring would go faster, obviously not...

and i just found out that if i whack an 11t cog on the back of ma cassette, with a 53 or 55t chainring, i can get a ratio not far off that of a my chainrings.

anyways if the mods want to close this thread, go for it, thanks for the info everybody.
if you still think i haven't taken any of your advice on by now, your not worth replying to.

this is on the first post of this thread, i don't know what it is, do you even read the past posts?

Quote:
Grinding your way up a hill in a tall gear at a low cadence is a sure-fire recipe for the knee problems you're getting.

Perhaps if you stopped re-injuring yourself each time you ride like this and got out of the way of your body, it might have a better chance of getting some repairs done.

It's not like what we're telling you is anything new. It's the combined knowledge of elite cycling coaches and biomechanists worldwide, and matches our own experience.
ok, have you read my other thread about gear ratios?, because if you did you would find that i'm changing my gears from a 57 to a 53 with a rear 11t cog as opposed to a 12t which is what i was using, it gives me a similiar gear ratio to the the 57. this is why i came here, criticising me DOESN'T WORK!, i asked on advice on optimizing my gear ratio, thats why i joined this forum.
on this very page i had to repeat myself again that i was changing chainrings and had taken your advice, but i still got ****. you tell me, who's the one getting told over and over again and not taking heed?

All of your questions were answered within the first few replies to each of your posts.
all i got was alot of terminology (especially in the gear ratio topic) that i didn't know about, i was asking about it, obviously if i'm asking about it, i won't know about it.

Yet despite all of our advice, you act as if your incredibly high gear ratios are perfectly normal. They are not.
yeah think i'v already covered this, twice

definately covered this one as well.

and the hill thing, yes i admit 85 degrees was definatetly wrong, by a long way, but come to glasgow and take the road coming off waterloo street, you go up a 15 degree slope then hit a 70 degree(at most) hill, heading towards blythswood square.the top of glasgow city centre, actually its a road just back from blythswood square. but believe me its a big hill.

so now my question to you is:
whats your problem? can't believe i can do 110 RPM without exhaustion well unfortunately i can't prove that, sorry.

oh well, hey this the first forum i've been kicked out of, see you all on the tracks!

zander said:
so now my question to you is:
whats your problem? can't believe i can do 110 RPM without exhaustion well unfortunately i can't prove that, sorry.
My suggestion then is that you get in touch with some of the Euro cycling teams. IF this isn't complete BS then you stand to make serious money as a general classification rider on one of TdF teams.

110rpm without exhaustion on 53/12 I reckon 130-140rpm+ in a sprint is entirely feasible. I reckon you might be the next Tom Boonen or Robbie McEwen. <LOL> That claim is good for a TdF time trial stage win at the very least! Your name wouldn't be David Millar by any chance?<ROFL>

This thread is hilarious. 61 chainrings..70 degree slopes..110 rpms since age 13.

Dude, before you totally destroy your knee, go visit a good cycling coach and ask him to teach you a few lessons on how to spin. Track sprinters reach 45-50mph using 45 x 13 so unless you are the next Miguel Indurain (and everyone here already knows that you are not) if you learn how to spin then you will eventually figure out that you probably dont even need a 53 x 12 to reach 50 mph on your next 70 degree dowhill ride as long as you can spin. As a competitive junior I never used anything larger than a 52 x 13 and we rode fast!

And of course you can always ignore us and keep pushing your 61 chainrings at 30 rpms with your already damaged knees. Just make sure you keep us updated. :D

Diet alone might not do it, but you could try taking ginseng supplements (do a search on google to find some research supporting this). Of course high quaity calcium supplement (with Vitamin D which is not water soluable i.e. you need some fat to absorb it) is also beneficial.

Non liquid glucosamine supplements are not as effective. However, there is some recent research suggesting that glucosamine can cause or worsen diabetes, so I would not over do it.

Your best bet is to consult with a good sports doctor.

Ligament Injury can be of 3 types. There are anterior cruciate ligament injuries (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament injuries (PCL), and medial collateral ligament injuries (MCL).
Ligament injuries in the knee - such as an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) -- are dreaded by professional and amateur athletes alike. They can be painful and debilitating. They can even permanently change your lifestyle.

[SIZE=10.0pt]There are four ligaments in the knee that are prone to injury.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.0pt]Mentioned above, the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the two major ligaments in the knee. It connects the thigh bone to the shin bone. ACL injuries are a common cause of disability in the knee. They are more common in women than men.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.0pt]The posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) is the second major ligament in the knee connecting the thigh bone to the shin bone.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.0pt]The lateral collateral ligament (LCL) connects the thigh bone to the fibula, the smaller bone of the lower leg.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10.0pt]The medial collateral ligament (MCL) also connects the thigh bone to the shin bone.[/SIZE]
http://www.arthroscopysurgeryindia.com/Articles.aspx?id=14
http://www.sportsmedicineclinicdelhi.com/
http://hearingaidsdelhi.com/