Diet reccomendations please. (ive searched)

huttondh

Aug 16, 2005
I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good eating program for optimum training. i dont want to gain weight, i want to lose FAT and i want to stay strong... im 6'1" and 155-160 pounds. i seem to be riding faster but for some reason im starting to store fat more... im staying the same weight just getting a little pooch here and there. i was wondering if anyone could give me a good idea of how what to eat throughout the day and what would be good to eat that WONT keep putting the fat in my gut. i want to cut fat and ride faster. thats all.

reccomendations, EXAMPLES, meal ideas. anything just please help. ive search all over the place and cant seem to find exactly what im looking for and i dont have the money for a trainer/coach. thanks for helping

(1) Measure the calories (or kj) of everything you eat.
(2) Measure the energy you expend.

- and most importantly -

(3) Don't try and make drastic changes (weird food, etc) because you just won't be able to stick to it long term. Remember K.I.S.S.

Hey - at the end of the day ... if you take in less energy that you put out ... :)

how do i go about measuring how much energy i expend? i dont have a computer or anything all i have is my average speed and my distance. and i realy dont think thats enough

It is never a bad idea to increase your fiber intake. Don't go crazy and add too much at once, but a gradual increase to hit 40-50 grams a day is a good idea. Oatmeal, flaxmeal, wholegrain breads, beans. They are all good ideas and easy to add into an exisiting diet.

2 summers ago I lost 60lbs (summer and fall). I was running a lot back then. I still have some to lose (I'm 6' 3", 230lbs). I now only ride, since it's more fun and easier on the legs for a big guy.

I found the site http://www.fitday.com very valuable. It has tons of already entered food. You find the food you ate, put the quantity you ate in, and it will keep track of all your carb/fat/protein and calorie intake. It will also track calories burned (from your BMR and lifestyle and exercise). It also tracks vitamin intake so you can see if you are meeting daily requirements. It's not perfect, but it's a good estimate. You can also add custom food if there is not already an entry. Best of all, it's free!

-Matt

huttondh said:
I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good eating program for optimum training. i dont want to gain weight, i want to lose FAT and i want to stay strong... im 6'1" and 155-160 pounds. i seem to be riding faster but for some reason im starting to store fat more... im staying the same weight just getting a little pooch here and there.

6'1" and 155-160 pounds <- that seems light to me already! You must have a low body fat already so its harder to lose more fat. Me - I'm 12 to 14% body fat and it's harder for me to lose weight so now I just enjoy eating more food and an occasional pig out because I now know I can burn off any weight gains.

What's you body fat % ?

I know how you feel. I'm 6'2'' and 160-165... and the little pooch here and there kinda sucks. If you know how many calories you expend, then depending on your goals, you know how much to eat.

An estimate for getting the figures for spent calories is:
(watts/1000)*(seconds)
The way to figure out your watts is at www.analyticcycling.com (power, given speed)
take your speed in mph, convert to meters/second, and enter into the website calculator. Then, when you have your watts, divide it by 1000 and multiply by the total seconds of your ride. All this is easy if you have a cycling computer (which is a must).

Once you know all this, go to website #2
www.stevenscreek.co/goodies/calories.shtml
and then figure out your basal metabolic rate and get an estimate of how much energy (calories) you expend just walking and talking. Don't use their cycling calorie computer.

Now, you should be able to add your burnt calories from cycling to your BMR and daily activity calories... and thus, you know how much to eat to lose weight.

By the way, at 7% body fat (me), there is still some pooch.

awsome... thanks man. i have absolutely no idea how much body fat i have so most likely i have a bit more than 7% im gonna look into these sights tomarrow since today is a recovery day for me. tomarrow ill be on the new diet and riding a bit longer so ill deffinately check it out! thanks!

huttondh said:
awsome... thanks man. i have absolutely no idea how much body fat i have so most likely i have a bit more than 7% im gonna look into these sights tomarrow since today is a recovery day for me. tomarrow ill be on the new diet and riding a bit longer so ill deffinately check it out! thanks!

You really need to buy a Tanita body fat scale. The latest models are awesome. Once you know your body fat % you can find out your total fat lbs and figure out how much more lbs you can lose. The fat % readings are best at night when your well hydrated.

Just google "Tanita body fat scale."

JTE83 said:
You really need to buy a Tanita body fat scale. The latest models are awesome. Once you know your body fat % you can find out your total fat lbs and figure out how much more lbs you can lose. The fat % readings are best at night when your well hydrated.

Just google "Tanita body fat scale."
Or alternatively, burn the money you were going to spend on the scales and do a witch-dance round the fire while inhaling the smoke. Then roll dice to determine your body fat percentage.

Sorry:) Electrical impedance is a notoriously poor way of determining your body fat. If (massive if) you can ensure you're always hydrated to the same level then it may show consistent results for you that can be used to track changes, but forget trying to use the absolute value to determine how much weight you could lose. Not that an accurate body fat measurement is going to tell you how much weight you can lose either, as everyone's minimum body fat requirements are different.

GettingFaster (Tanita body fat=0%)

GettingFaster said:
Or alternatively, burn the money you were going to spend on the scales and do a witch-dance round the fire while inhaling the smoke. Then roll dice to determine your body fat percentage.

Sorry, Electrical impedance is a notoriously poor way of determining your body fat.
Tell me about it. I'm 5'7" 138 lbs and our scale says I have a body fat of aound 20-22%. Yeah, right! :cool: Anyway, the calipers put me down about 10 or more points.

L