diet / riding techniques for muscle/weight gain

gman0482

Aug 13, 2009
I am currently riding almost everyday and trying to get some strength and muscle into my legs (ASAP). The only thing is I am very slim (legs like sticks) and don't eat right at all. I was wondering whats the best way to eat, and what are some riding techniques to build up muscle and strength.

Thank you,

-Greg

I've had the 'thin leg syndrome' myself just about my entire life, but that has changed since I started riding on the roads. One thing that helps me is that when I get back from a ride, I'll drink a protein shake to help any overworked muscles repair themselves. Cycling in general - especially on the road - is more of an endurance activity than a strength activity so if you overdo it, you won't gain much strength but your endurance will improve.

First I have to ask, if you are a serious cyclist why do you want to gain weight?

You can become stronger without adding a lot of mass. Riding everyday is counter productive to gaining strength. You need to recover. Recovery from training is most important. Keys to recovery are great nutrition, great rest and great hydration.

Nutrition- Can't recovery without good protein intake. About 1-1.25 grams per pound of lean body mass should do it. So if you weigh (for example) 150lbs. and you are 8% bodyfat you should try to consume between 138-172 grams of protein throughout the day or about 34.5 grams a meal at 5 meals a day. Try and eat about 121 grams of carbs preferably from fruits and veggies and 54 grams of fat from naturally occurring fats in protein sources and mono-unsaturated sources like tree nuts and avocados, etc... Try to maintain a good base level by eating alkaline foods with acidic foods.

Rest- Break your rides up with rest days. There is lots of literature and information on training programs. Deep tissue massage on the evening before or the morning of a rest day can add up to 24 hrs. of circulation in one 60min. session.

Hydration- Drink lots of water!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all input. As far as me being a serious rider, I guess the serious part is that I seriously love to ride (to a point where I come home beat from a long day of work and go riding at 9 @ night). I just started about 2 months ago. Modivations were : My uncle who rides semi-pro in Poland, and Tour de France. Anyways, I mostly ride cause I like it so much, and my goal is to get in shape enough to eventualy compete on some scale.

Thanks again,

-Greg S.

You ride everyday and someday want to compete? I'd call that pretty serious :cool:.
GOOD LUCK! :D

hehe, I guess you are right. I mean I'm not looking to make money out of it or anything, but I suppose most cyclists race for hobby as well. I can sort of start to get a little stronger (or maybe it's just in my head) when I push myself real hard uphill. Still using toe clips and waiting on my shoes to come in.

Interesting diet advice. You've got the majority of daily calories coming from protein, with lesser but equal amounts coming from CHO and fats. The best cyclists I know certainly don't eat that much protein or fat. Instead, they eat a high % of their calories as carbs, stressing fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Particularly for recovery after a hard training ride, the standard advice I've read several places is to eat a high-carb meal with just a small amount of protein, perhaps in a ratio of 4 or 5 carbs to 1 part protein.

gman0482 said:
hehe, I guess you are right. I mean I'm not looking to make money out of it or anything, but I suppose most cyclists race for hobby as well. I can sort of start to get a little stronger (or maybe it's just in my head) when I push myself real hard uphill. Still using toe clips and waiting on my shoes to come in.
was off on holiday 5 days no cycling lived it up a bit with the food and drink ,went for ride day i came back exspecting the worst but did 30 miles including serious hill that would normally kill me seemed to have loads in reserve was flying it whole time just shows you what rest will do for you .......has anyone exspeirenced this ..

I just tested myself today for the 1st time, to see how far and how hard I can push myself. I did better than I thought I would. 36.7 miles, non-stop, average of 15-20 mph (with some good and twisty inclines). I am still a beginer but it felt great. Not really hurting after at all. Hope I won't be hurting tomorrow :rolleyes:...

Now lets say that my legs feel fine tomorrow. Should I take a day off anyways? Cause most likely I will want to ride :) .

dhk2 said:
Interesting diet advice. You've got the majority of daily calories coming from protein, with lesser but equal amounts coming from CHO and fats. The best cyclists I know certainly don't eat that much protein or fat. Instead, they eat a high % of their calories as carbs, stressing fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Particularly for recovery after a hard training ride, the standard advice I've read several places is to eat a high-carb meal with just a small amount of protein, perhaps in a ratio of 4 or 5 carbs to 1 part protein.
Certainly post ride you want to get glycogen back in the muscle as fast as possible. Immediately post ride you want HGL carbs, ie fruit juice.

Within 30-60mins., light protein and slightly lower, non-fiberous, GL carbs, ie. an egg white and a piece of cantaloupe.

After 90min you want to continue replenishing glycogen stores and setting up for tissue repair with a meal of lean protein, lower GL carbs and healthy fats.

The body can only store a limited amount of glycogen in the muscles and liver which makes carb-loading ineffective. If it worked you would be able to eat a ton of carbs and ride a century without having to refuel every 45-60min.

After glycogen stores are well on their way to full, tissue repair is the next order of business. Leg muscles under go a tremendous effort during hard rides. Strength athletes eat from 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass a day. Many of them train for less than 1 hour. I'm no great cyclist and I consider 1 hr. a short ride. Therefore I believe that muscle recovery is of no less importance than glycogen replenishment. If you don't get stronger you can't go faster!

Unless you have your head buried in the sand you know that dietary fats of all kinds are of the utmost importance for good health, especially having a good O6:O3 balance. The best way to attain this is by eating free range beef, pastured pork, game meats, cold water fish and Omega 3 enriched whole eggs. Also beneficial are walnuts and other tree nuts. Even on the toughest rides we spend the majority of time in aerobic HR zones. Fuel of choice is dietary fat.

Maintaining a net alkaline load is very important for performance. Foods with net acid loads are counter productive to this. Protein sources are essential so they must be balanced with alkaline foods, fruits and veggies. So non-essential acid load foods should be avoided, ie. tubers, grains, dairy, legumes.

"Now lets say that my legs feel fine tomorrow. Should I take a day off anyways? Cause most likely I will want to ride :) ."

If you can discipline yourself to go out for an easy spin do so. If not take the day off.

Wlfdg said:
After glycogen stores are well on their way to full, tissue repair is the next order of business. Leg muscles under go a tremendous effort during hard rides. Strength athletes eat from 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass a day. Many of them train for less than 1 hour. I'm no great cyclist and I consider 1 hr. a short ride. Therefore I believe that muscle recovery is of no less importance than glycogen replenishment. If you don't get stronger you can't go faster!

Cycling is a minimum impact exercise. The forces required and used in endurance cycling training are so very small that tissue repair does not play such a significant role in recovery as in strength exercises no matter how long is the ride. You might want to read some existing threads eg. gyming to improve power for reference or Strength vs. power and "Strength endurance" training: a physiologist's view.

frost said:
Cycling is a minimum impact exercise. The forces required and used in endurance cycling training are so very small that tissue repair does not play such a significant role in recovery as in strength exercises no matter how long is the ride. You might want to read some existing threads eg. gyming to improve power for reference or Strength vs. power and "Strength endurance" training: a physiologist's view.

I've read all this and more. I recently completed a study on myself over a 6 yr. period, cycling in the summer and fall and backcountry splitboarding in winter and spring.The only resistance training I did was minimal bodyweight exercises.

I found that my recovery rates where considerably better when I followed diet parameters from a previous time in my life when I was competing in Olympic style lifting and fighting sports than when I followed a traditional cycling diet.

Since following the guidelines in The Paleo Diet for Athletes over the last 4 months my recovery rates and overall energy have improved even more dramatically. I have taken as much as 10min. off of my 26.5mi. time trial loop in as little as 1 months time. My bike commute is 17.62mi. which I do in 3 successive days. I push as hard as possible. Each (6) time trial over the 3 days I have continuously kept under 58min. The bike I am riding is a Kona Jake with 29"Rhyno Lites and 40c Kenda Breakers.

I am really looking forward to winter when I can see how much more dramatic these improvements will be.

Just my opinion that following a diet focused on tissue recovery is more beneficial than primarily focusing on glycogen replacement.

I have returned to training in caveman lifting, Olympic lifting and powerlifting in the last 3 months.