Dietary iron / neurodegenerative disorders

>>The "medical" information he posts is
just plain useless,<<

I guess these guys would be .. just .. catching up to .. meeeeeeee ..

Eh ..

http://www.newhopeforparkinsons.com/web/pid/98/

High doses of riboflavin and the elimination of dietary red meat
promote the recovery of some motor functions in Parkinson's disease
patients.?

>>So that's why we do what we do. .<<

So .. that would be .. beeecauuuusssseee .. ?

You are stupid .. ?

Yep ..

Maybe you can convince these guys to eat a nice .. fortified .. lunch

Oh .. yeah .. stupid people like you .. already .. have ..

800,0000.000 .. people ..

Infect Immun. 2006 Jan;74(1):289-95. Related Articles, Links

Dietary iron content mediates hookworm pathogenesis in vivo.

Held MR, Bungiro RD, Harrison LM, Hamza I, Cappello M.

Program in International Child Health, Department of Pediatrics, Yale
University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520.
[email protected].

Hookworm infection is associated with growth delay and iron deficiency
anemia in developing countries. A series of experiments were designed
in order to test the hypothesis that host dietary iron restriction
mediates susceptibility to hookworm infection using the hamster model
of Ancylostoma ceylanicum. Animals were maintained on diets containing
either 10 ppm iron (iron restricted) or 200 ppm iron (standard/high
iron), followed by infection with A. ceylanicum third-stage larvae.
Infected animals fed the standard diet exhibited statistically
significant growth delay and reduced blood hemoglobin levels compared
to uninfected controls on day 20 postinfection. In contrast, no
statistically significant differences in weight or hemoglobin
concentration were observed between infected and uninfected animals fed
the iron-restricted diet. Moreover, iron-restricted animals were
observed to have reduced intestinal worm burdens on day 10 and day 20
postinfection compared to those of animals maintained on the
standard/high-iron diet. In a subsequent study, animals equilibrated on
diets containing a range of iron levels (10 ppm, 40 ppm, 100 ppm, or
200 ppm) were infected with A. ceylanicum and followed for evidence of
hookworm disease. Infected animals from the intermediate-dietary iron
(40- and 100-ppm) groups exhibited greater weight loss and anemia than
those in the low (10-ppm)- or high (200-ppm)-iron diet groups.
Mortality was also significantly higher in the
intermediate-dietary-iron groups. These data suggest that severe
dietary iron restriction impairs hookworm development in vivo but that
moderate iron restriction enhances host susceptibility to severe
disease.

PMID: 16368983 [PubMed - in process]

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Nutr Neurosci. 2005 Apr;8(2):101-10. Related Articles, Links

Dietary approach to decrease aging-related CNS inflammation.

Noyan-Ashraf MH, Sadeghinejad Z, Juurlink BH.

Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, University
of Saskatchewan, 107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5E5.

We demonstrate that the spontaneously hypertensive rat stroke-prone rat
(SHRsp) undergoes premature aging of the CNS compared to the related
normotensive Wistar Kyoto rat (WKY) as demonstrated by presence of
activated microglia/macrophages, increased expression of inducible
nitric oxide synthase and increased astrogliosis. We tested the
hypothesis that dietary intake of phase 2 protein inducers would
decrease these aging-associated degenerative changes. The source of
dietary phase 2 protein inducers was dried broccoli sprouts of a
cultivar containing high amounts of glucoraphanin that gives rise to
phase 2 protein-inducing isothiocyanate sulforaphane. This diet
significantly decreased the aging-related degenerative changes in the
SHRsp CNS. We conclude that modest changes in diet may have profound
effects on the aging CNS.

PMID: 16053242 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Multiple Sclerosis Tied to Iron in Brain

Studies Point to Cause, Location of MS Brain Damage

By Daniel DeNoon
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Oct. 22, 2003 -- Iron deposits deep in the brain may cause multiple
sclerosis, new imaging studies suggest.

The findings come from studies of computer-assisted brain scans using a

specialized magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) device. University at
Buffalo, N.Y., researchers Rohit Bakshi, MD, and colleagues are the
first to use this technique to study multiple sclerosis. Bakshi
reported
the findings at this week's annual meeting of the American Neurological

Association in San Francisco.

Multiple sclerosis has been considered a disease of the white matter in

the brain and spinal cord -- the neural pathways that allow areas of
gray matter to communicate with one another. But the new findings link
iron deposits in the gray matter to movement and thinking impairments
in
multiple sclerosis.

"If we're going to treat this disease, we have to know where the damage

is," Bakshi says in a news release. "Traditionally, we thought MS was
strictly a white-matter disease. ... We were able to visualize gray
matter structures deep in the brain of MS patients and found some to be

atrophied."

These areas of brain damage contained abnormally high levels of iron.
It's not yet clear that the iron is the cause of the brain damage. It
could be that dying brain cells leave a trail of iron behind.

Walking, Thinking, and Gray Matter

Bakshi's team put 41 multiple sclerosis patients through a walking
test.
They also gave tests of learning, speed of information processing, and
memory to 28 MS patients.

The more unnatural darkness the brain scans saw in a patient's gray
matter, the worse the patient's MS symptoms. It was the only factor
studied that independently predicted impaired walking and thinking.

"We suspect that MS patients have defective blood-brain barriers, the
cell layer that prevents potentially toxic substances from entering the

brain," Bakshi says. "Excessive iron entering the brain may damage the
deep gray matter structures."

Possible Treatment

If iron is indeed the culprit, it seems possible to do something about
it. Bakshi's team is exploring two ideas. The first is simply to remove

excess iron from patients' bodies, and then to devise a way to prevent
future iron build-up.

If that is impractical, it may be possible to prevent iron from killing

brain cells. The excess iron may be causing free radicals -- extremely
reactive molecules that damage brain cells. Antioxidants -- such as
vitamins C and E, or even more powerful agents -- might mop up free
radicals before they do their dirty work.

Even if the iron deposits are the effect, rather than the cause, of
brain cell death, the study still offers a way to measure the severity
of MS and the efficacy of new treatments.

http://health.webmd.com/cgi-bin21/DM/y/hbdj0fgLs0GC0Ojz0AW

http://tinyurl.com/d535u

<<snip>>
This study adds more weight to the notion that T2 hypointensity is a
clinically relevant marker of tissue damage in MS.
<<snip>>

Journal of the Neurological Sciences
Article in Press, Corrected Proof - Note to users

doi:10.1016/j.jns.2005.02.009
Copyright ? 2005 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

MRI T2 hypointensity of the dentate nucleus is related to ambulatory
impairment in multiple sclerosis

C.W. Tjoaa, R.H.B. Benedicta, b, c, B. Weinstock-Guttmana, A.J.
Fabianoa and R. Bakshid, ,

aDepartment of Neurology, University at Buffalo, State University of
New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
bDepartment of Psychiatry University at Buffalo, State University of
New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
cDepartment of Psychology, University at Buffalo, State University of
New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
dDepartments of Neurology and Radiology, Center for Neurological
Imaging, Partners Multiple Sclerosis Center, Brigham & Women's
Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur-HIM 730
Boston, MA 02115, USA

Received 29 October 2004; revised 24 January 2005; accepted 18
February 2005. Available online 22 April 2005.

Abstract
Objectives

MRI T2 hypointensity in multiple sclerosis (MS) gray matter, suggesting

iron deposition, is associated with physical disability, disease
course, lesion load, and brain atrophy. Ambulatory dysfunction limits
quality of life; however correlation with conventional MRI remains
poor.

Methods
Normalized intensity on T2-weighted images was obtained in the basal
ganglia, thalamus, red nucleus, and dentate nucleus in 47 MS patients
and 15 healthy controls. Brain T1-hypointense and FLAIR-hyperintense
lesion volume, third ventricle width, brain parenchymal fraction and
timed 25 foot walk (T25FW) were measured in the MS group.

Results
T2 hypointensity was present throughout gray matter in MS vs. controls
(all p < 0.01). Dentate T2 hypointensity was the only MRI variable
significantly correlated with T25FW (Pearson r = -0.355, p = 0.007) and

was also the best MRI correlate of physical disability (EDSS) score in
regression modeling (r = -0.463, R2 = 0.223, p = 0.004).

Conclusions
T2 hypointensity is present in subcortical gray matter nuclei in
patients with MS vs. normal controls. Dentate nucleus T2 hypointensity
is independently related to ambulatory impairment and disability,
accounting for more variance than conventional lesion and atrophy
measures. This study adds more weight to the notion that T2
hypointensity is a clinically relevant marker of tissue damage in MS.

Ambulation

Corresponding author. Tel.: +1 617 732 8600; fax: +1 617 525 5223.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

>High doses of riboflavin and the elimination of dietary red meat
>promote the recovery of some motor functions in Parkinson's disease
>patients.?

Listen, idiot. I have NOT eaten meat, red or white or otherwise for
over 30 years.

"Meat," in my books, is the flesh of an animal.

I had been a vegetarian for over 10 years when I was DX'd with MS. I
have met a few other vegetarians with MS. It seems to work out to the
statitics of the population in general: about 2 percent are
vegetarians.

Oh, shuckydarn! I forgot. I'm a liar and Tom the Allseeing does not
believe me!

If this were a court of law, I could bring in family and friends to
testify for me.

But this ain't no court. . .this is just a Usenet troll flapping his
gums. I don't have to prove myself to anyone.

So if you don't believe me, stuff it.

Sylvia

You don't seem that bad to me. A little ignorant, but
not too bad for Usenet.

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> But this ain't no court. . .this is just a Usenet

troll flapping his
> gums. I don't have to prove myself to anyone.
>
> Sylvia
>

>You don't seem that bad to me. A little ignorant, but
>not too bad for Usenet.

And you are downright weird. I'm a little less ignorant after doing a
quick Google search on you. Strange, very strange. How do we get
these types here?

Sylvia

We leave the doors wide open and you wander in.

It happens over and over with the thought anonymous
name changers though.

Geee. I wonder who I am this time?

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >You don't seem that bad to me. A little ignorant,

but
> >not too bad for Usenet.

> And you are downright weird. I'm a little less

ignorant after doing a
> quick Google search on you. Strange, very strange.

How do we get
> these types here?
>
> Sylvia
>

>Geee. I wonder who I am this time?

Exactly what I wondered about you. You seem to have a few monikers out
there. . .

Oh, well, so be it. Whatever.

Sylvia

If that is important to you then I will check and see
if I have ever been anybody else for you.

Would you care yo give me a valid email address and I
can send a personalized list and perhaps sign it?

I am sure that would make all the difference to these
groups for the Obssesive Compulsive Disorder control
freaks that cannot distinguish mental illness from
reality.

Oh...amnd I have a deal for you on tinfoil hats. Are
you out from under that bed again? The boogie man might
get ya'

Have a good one.

Troll better.

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Geee. I wonder who I am this time?

> Exactly what I wondered about you. You seem to have

a few monikers out
> there. . .
>
> Oh, well, so be it. Whatever.
>
> Sylvia
>

>I am sure that would make all the difference to these
>groups for the Obssesive Compulsive Disorder control
>freaks that cannot distinguish mental illness from
>reality.

Sorry, that's not the kind of nuts we have around these parts. . .we're
not "control freaks."

But thanks for the offer on the tinfoil hats! Our Irontroll might be
interested.

Sylvia

Most would accuse you of killing, without regard to the
emotional welbein, or consideration of consequences, of
plants and other herbs, indisciminately for your own
glutteny.

Animals were put on this earth to be consumed by us and
not following nature's course will lead to disaster.
Isn't that B12 supplement you take from animal sources?

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I am sure that would make all the difference to

these
> >groups for the Obssesive Compulsive Disorder control
> >freaks that cannot distinguish mental illness from
> >reality.

> Sorry, that's not the kind of nuts we have around

these parts. . .we're
> not "control freaks."
>
> But thanks for the offer on the tinfoil hats! Our

Irontroll might be
> interested.
>
> Sylvia
>

>Animals were put on this earth to be consumed by us and
>not following nature's course will lead to disaster.
>Isn't that B12 supplement you take from animal sources?

Ah, ha, so you're turning this into a debate over a vegetarian diet. .
..yeah, a few have said that I was being oblivious to the "feelings" of
plants by eating them. If you think plants, which have no central
nervous system, are sentient beings, I'm not going to argue.

As for the B12 source in my diet, it's an animal source: yogurt from
cow's milk. I am not a vegan, so I eat animal "products," just not
their flesh. As far as not "following nature's course leading to
disaster," I have to refer you to the statics. Yeah, my personal
health is nonexistant at the moment, but you can't blame vegetarianism
for this; most people with MS are carnivores, and most vegetarians do
not have MS.

Don't look to me for a rant about the holy benefits of being a
vegetarian. . .you'll have to look to Tommy Tinpot for that. I don't
try to impose my beliefs on others. I think you and many others are
just sick of getting preached at about food, and you're lashing out at
those who don't eat a "normal" diet.

Eat what you like, this is not my concern. Diet is one of the most
personal decisions humans make, and it's not up to anyone to make the
decision for you.

Sylvia

Listen, idiot.
Listen, idiot.
Listen, idiot.
Listen, idiot.
Listen, idiot.
Listen, idiot.
Listen, idiot.
Listen, idiot.

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Animals were put on this earth to be consumed by us

and
> >not following nature's course will lead to disaster.
> >Isn't that B12 supplement you take from animal

sources?

> Ah, ha, so you're turning this into a debate over a

vegetarian diet. .
> .yeah, a few have said that I was being oblivious to

the "feelings" of
> plants by eating them. If you think plants, which

have no central
> nervous system, are sentient beings, I'm not going to

argue.

> As for the B12 source in my diet, it's an animal

source: yogurt from
> cow's milk. I am not a vegan, so I eat animal

"products," just not
> their flesh. As far as not "following nature's

course leading to
> disaster," I have to refer you to the statics. Yeah,

my personal
> health is nonexistant at the moment, but you can't

blame vegetarianism
> for this; most people with MS are carnivores, and

most vegetarians do
> not have MS.
>
> Don't look to me for a rant about the holy benefits

of being a
> vegetarian. . .you'll have to look to Tommy Tinpot

for that. I don't
> try to impose my beliefs on others. I think you and

many others are
> just sick of getting preached at about food, and

you're lashing out at
> those who don't eat a "normal" diet.
>
> Eat what you like, this is not my concern. Diet is

one of the most
> personal decisions humans make, and it's not up to

anyone to make the
> decision for you.
>
> Sylvia
>

>Listen, idiot.
.. . .ad nauseum.

Listen to what?

Oh, don't even bother. I've been fighting this fight for over 30
years.

Enjoy your dead animals.

Sylvia

I was only quoting your post. "Listen, idiot"

I have nothing against vegetarianism, only your
arrogance and ignorance to others.

Do you know the difference between ignorance and
arrogance ?

see bottom for answer.

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Listen, idiot.

> . . .ad nauseum.
>
> Listen to what?
>
> Oh, don't even bother. I've been fighting this fight

for over 30
> years.
>
> Enjoy your dead animals.
>
> Sylvia

I don't know and I don't care.

>Do you know the difference between ignorance and
>arrogance ?

I don't believe I am guilty of either.

But, if you want to think so, go ahead.

Sylvia

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >High doses of riboflavin and the elimination of dietary red meat
> >promote the recovery of some motor functions in Parkinson's disease
> >patients.?

> Listen, idiot. I have NOT eaten meat, red or white or otherwise for
> over 30 years.

If you read the links you would have seen large doses of B2 were given to
counter a lack of B2.

In none of your posts do you speak of taking B2. Of, course you would MOST
likely not need to if you are not deficent. However you do not state that
you have been tested for B2 deficency.

The researchers then gave the subjects 30 mg of riboflavin, three times
daily at 8-hour intervals, a total of 90 mg per day. The dosages were spaced
throughout the day because a high dose of riboflavin given all at once is
mostly excreted;

Most gains were in the first 3 mths. This was B2 deficency thing not a meat
thing.

You have not met the criteria to disprove him.

>This was B2 deficency thing not a meat
>thing.

No, it isn't. Vitamin B12 is the B vitamin that can only be obtained
through animal sources; in my case, milk products.

>You have not met the criteria to disprove him.

The onus of proof lies with him. "Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary proof" Carl Sagan.

Sylvia

The study linked to listed no meat and B2 given with improvement in
PARKINSON patients. NOT B12.

http://www.newhopeforparkinsons.com/web/pid/98/

They claimed a B2 deficecy in their patients.

This HAS NOTHING to do with B12.

This MAY have nothing to do with MS.

But it is interesting that the study before this listed reduced edema,
lessions, and better cognitive response in brain injuries with B2 given.

There may be a interesting B2 action here.

The iron/meat thing may have to do with B2 asorbtion or elimination.

This is about B2....B2.....NOT B12

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >This was B2 deficency thing not a meat
> >thing.

> No, it isn't. Vitamin B12 is the B vitamin that can only be obtained
> through animal sources; in my case, milk products.

"Sylv" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >This was B2 deficency thing not a meat
> >thing.

> No, it isn't. Vitamin B12 is the B vitamin that can only be obtained
> through animal sources; in my case, milk products.

B2 is linked to myelin break down. Especialy in women

Moreover, vitamin B2 is a cofactor for xanthine oxidase, and its deficiency
exacerbates the low levels of uric acid caused by high Cu levels, resulting
in myelin degeneration

On the other hand, menstruating women have increased copper (Cu) absorption
and half-life, so they tend to accumulate more Cu than males.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Ab
stract&list_uids=10985916&query_hl=5&itool=pubmed_docsum

In men there is a aron angle of all things......Go figure.

B2........meat......MS........sortof

The study generally supports a protective role for components commonly found
in plants (fruit/vegetables and grains) and an increased risk with high
energy and animal food intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Ab
stract&list_uids=9839742&query_hl=13&itool=pubmed_docsum

----

Which just about sums up ALL studies on PUBMED involving B2 and MS. So the 2
studies I found involving Riboflaxin B2 show it to be a positive factor in
MS.