diets and running/fat newbie question

Jojo

Guest
ok... some advice here.

I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs. I want to be 140-145 lbs and
5'-6" (just kidding about the new height) by May 1st. I used
to be a runner, but have not in the last year. I started
running last week and plan on running 3 night per week (5
k), plus a long run on Sundays (an hour, whatever distance
that gets me.) Right now I'm out of shape and still have to
walk/run to do the 5k.

I have been considering the southbeach diet. Does this limit
carbs to much for a runner? I do want to lose the weight,
but I want to feel good about my running.

Thanks, jo

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> ok... some advice here.
>
> I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs. I want to be 140-145 lbs
> and 5'-6" (just kidding about the new height) by May
> 1st. I used to be a runner, but have not in the last
> year. I started running last week and plan on running 3
> night per week (5
> k), plus a long run on Sundays (an hour, whatever distance
> that gets me.) Right now I'm out of shape and still have
> to walk/run to do the 5k.
>
> I have been considering the southbeach diet. Does this
> limit carbs to much for a runner? I do want to lose the
> weight, but I want to feel good about my running.

The bottom line in any weight loss program is going to be
creating a caloric deficit. That means you need to take
in less calories then you burn. You can do that in
several weights.

1. eat less calories
2. exercise more to burn more calories
3. a combination of the above
4. bariatric surgery (basically forcing you into
option number 1)

I've gone from 245 in June to my current weight of 167 by
using option number 3. I've also done this with what I
believe to be a good balance of carbohydrates,
carbohydrates, and fats (about a 60-25-15 ratio). I've cut a
lot of calories from my diet with limiting my fat
consumption. When you do that you could also be limiting
your protien, so you have to be careful there. Most
endurance athletes agree that limiting your caloric intake
with less carbs is not condusive to good health or a good
exercise program.

Of course saying this, I realise that the big factor is
going to be motivation. You're already on the right track
with doing some exercise. From my experience, my running
makes everything else fall into place. I have very little
trouble staying motivated to eat less if I'm also on an
exercise program, such as running.

Other than running, one of the most important ways for me to
keep motivated and keep track of every single thing I eat
was to purchase the software called DietPower from
www.dietpower.com. You can download a 2 week trial, if you
want to see all it can do for you.

Phil

--
If you can empty your own boat Crossing the river of the
world, No one will oppose you, No one will seek to harm you.

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ok... some advice here.
>
> I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs.

And you want to lose more weight? Perhaps you should consult
with a doctor first.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º
eNo

>> I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs.

>And you want to lose more weight? Perhaps you should
>consult with a doctor
first.

The OP said they "used" to be a runner. I interpret that to
mean they also "used" to be thinner (i.e., 140-145 lbs.).

Like them, I too have resolved to drop about 10-15 lbs.,
though I am 6'1" and 168 lbs. In my case, I "used" to be 150
-155 lbs. when younger. Unlike them, since I am already
running, I will have to do it with a calorie reduction!

I'm amazed that you want to lose weight at 5'11", 157 lbs.
However... with regards to your question... if you want to
fuel your running, I would say that you should be taking in
60% carbs, 20-25% protein and 20-15% fat. Forget South
Beach. Forget the Zone. Forget Weight Watchers. Forget them
all. Just eat quality foods in the right amounts, exercise,
and if need be, reduce your calories. There are no bad
foods, only bad diets. Carbs don't make people fat, people
make themselves fat.

--
Nova Scotia, Canada

In article <[email protected]>, jojo wrote:
> ok... some advice here.
>
> I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs. I want to be 140-145 lbs and
> 5'-6" (just kidding about the new height) by May 1st. I
> used to be a runner, but have not in the last year. I
> started running last week and plan on running 3 night per
> week (5 k), plus a long run on Sundays (an hour, whatever
> distance that gets me.) Right now I'm out of shape and
> still have to walk/run to do the 5k.
>
> I have been considering the southbeach diet. Does this
> limit carbs to much for a runner? I do want to lose the
> weight, but I want to feel good about my running.
>
> Thanks, jo

I wouldn't worry about dieting, especially as you're already
fairly light. Your weight will gradually move towards a good
performance weight as you build up milage.

Cheers,

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ok... some advice here.
>
> I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs. I want to be 140-145 lbs and
> 5'-6" (just kidding about the new height) by May 1st. I
> used to be a runner, but have not in the last year. I
> started running last week and plan on running 3 night per
> week (5 k),
plus
> a long run on Sundays (an hour, whatever distance that
> gets me.) Right now I'm out of shape and still have to
> walk/run to do the 5k.
>
> I have been considering the southbeach diet. Does this
> limit carbs to much for a runner? I do want to lose the
> weight, but I want to feel good about my running.
>
> Thanks, jo

You will get varying opinions on this, but I would say
that you should start with the running and not worry too
much about diet. One thing would be to reduce intake of
some things like sodas or sweets. I am not sure how many
grams of CHO the South Beach diet recommends so I cannot
comment specifically. Remember that CHO is the fuel of
preference and that over time a reduction in CHO intake
will reduce muscle glycogen and that will reduce the
intensity one can run at.

Brian Wakem wrote:

> Why? I'm 2 inches taller and 10lb light than him and I'm
> healthy.

Let's just say that 6' 1' and 147 is a typical male
bulimic. I'm the same height and if I hit 147 my friends
and family would call 911. I think we could agree that
being that light, with your height is rare in general and
not typically healthy.

Since you are healthy you sure as hell have a lot less
weight to tote over the long haul and would hope you finish
in the top 10%.

"Brian Wakem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "eNo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Gh73c.7$I%.3@dfw-
> service2.ext.ray.com...
> > "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > ok... some advice here.
> > >
> > > I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs.
> >

> > And you want to lose more weight? Perhaps you should
> > consult with a
doctor
> > first.
>

> Why? I'm 2 inches taller and 10lb light than him and I'm
> healthy.

Yeah, agreed - I'm 132lbs currently at 5'10" and feel fine.
I don't diet and eat whenever I'm hungry.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

In article <[email protected]>, Brian Wakem wrote:

> "eNo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Gh73c.7$I%.3@dfw-
> service2.ext.ray.com...
>> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > ok... some advice here.
>> >
>> > I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs.
>>

>> And you want to lose more weight? Perhaps you should
>> consult with a doctor first.
>

> Why?

Because he's considering a weight loss diet.

> I'm 2 inches taller and 10lb light than him and I'm
> healthy.

Yes, but are you on a weight loss diet ?

Cheers,

In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
> "Brian Wakem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> "eNo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Gh73c.7$I%.3@dfw-
>> service2.ext.ray.com...
>> > "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > And you want to lose more weight? Perhaps you should
>> > consult with a
> doctor
>> > first.
>>

>> Why? I'm 2 inches taller and 10lb light than him and I'm
>> healthy.
>

> Yeah, agreed - I'm 132lbs currently at 5'10" and feel
> fine. I don't diet and eat whenever I'm hungry.

But that's the answer right there, isn't it ? You shouldn't
need a special "diet" to get down to the appropriate weight.
If he really is meant to be 145, he'll get there just by
training and not eating too much junk food.

Cheers,

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Brian Wakem wrote:
>

> > Why? I'm 2 inches taller and 10lb light than him and I'm
> > healthy.
>
> Let's just say that 6' 1' and 147 is a typical male
> bulimic. I'm the same height and if I hit 147 my friends
> and family would call 911. I think we could agree that
> being that light, with your height is rare in general and
> not typically healthy.
>
> Since you are healthy you sure as hell have a lot less
> weight to tote over the long haul and would hope you
> finish in the top 10%.

My friends know that I eat more than any of them so they
aren't concerned, and I look healthy.

I have been finishing in the top 0.5% recently.

--
Brian Wakem

I would not go on a radical diet while starting running
becuase it is probably unnecessary. Runing will cause you to
lose weight, especially in the first years when your running
metabolism is inefficient. Modest calorie restriction, like
no snacks and no more than two desserts a week is all that
is necessary.

Some runners find spreading out eating more often through
the day helps keep blood sugar level and less hungry. I
*have* to an evening snack like a glass of juice in order
not to be ravenous in the morning.

news:[email protected]...
wrote:

> > "eNo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Gh73c.7$I%.3@dfw-
> > service2.ext.ray.com...
> >> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> And you want to lose more weight? Perhaps you should
> >> consult with a
doctor
> >> first.
> >

> > Why?
>
> Because he's considering a weight loss diet.
>
> > I'm 2 inches taller and 10lb light than him and I'm
> > healthy.
>
> Yes, but are you on a weight loss diet ?

Point taken. I was on a diet about 2.5 years ago when I went
from ~215lb down to ~175lb. The rest came off gradually when
I started running.

--
Brian Wakem

"eNo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Gh73c.7$I%[email protected]...
> "jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > ok... some advice here.
> >
> > I am 5'-11" tall and 157 lbs.
>

> And you want to lose more weight? Perhaps you should
> consult with a doctor first.

I am female, which makes a big difference. Even when weight
lifting i can't seem to gain much muscle mass..my muscles
are long and thin, like a dancers. I have and belly and am
large breasted. i would be happy just to lose weight in
those two places.

145 is just a better weight for me. It takes me out of a
size 14 and down to a size 10 It also makes me more
proportionate, since now I'm a toothpick with a belly and
boobs. If I work with light weights (which is what I'm doing
now) I won't lose much in the arms and because of the
running I will not lose any weight in my legs.

jo

In article <[email protected]>, jojo wrote:

> 145 is just a better weight for me. It takes me out of a
> size 14 and down to a size 10 It also makes me more
> proportionate, since now I'm a toothpick with a belly and
> boobs. If I work with light weights (which is what I'm
> doing now) I won't lose much in the arms and because of
> the running I will not lose any weight in my legs.

Keep running and you should lose the excess bodyfat. As far
as diet is concerned, just avoid junk food, especially
liquid carbs (e.g. non-diet soda, fruit juice, etc)

As for needing to walk/run to finish a 5k -- have you tried
simply running slower, or are you already running at about a
12 minute per mile pace or slower ? Most beginners who
"can't run" can actually run just fine, but can't or won't
pace themselves within their limitations.

Cheers,