diets and running/fat newbie question

how does iodine help you lose weight?

m04.aol.com...

Anders Lustig wrote:

> (But I still don´t think I was a self-important prig when
> I, quite foolishly, thought I could step in as a complete
> outsider and act as a blue-helemeted mediator between one
> or two pompous twats and a quite innocent jester...)

quite fit. Just for edification and correctness:

Main Entry: **** Pronunciation: 'twät Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown usually vulgar : VULVA

The horse is very dead but vocabulary is always alive. :)

"Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> wrote in message \
> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > No, and I wasn't agry/upset/chagrined/pick-your-word in
> > the slightest!
>
> The word I´d pick for rushing in with an entirely
> pointless "correction" is "priggish".

*sigh*

Anders, I don't know what priggish means, but let me explain
a little better.... if I was upset, angry, chagrined, ******
off, (whatever word you want to use... even this
"priggish"), I would have done either of these two things:

1. said yeah, the post irritated me...

- or - (most likely)

2. nothing. i would have ignored the comment (I suppose,
silent agreement).

...BUT, the thing is, I wasn't in any way, shape or form,
irritated in the slightest. I merely made a correction and
forgot about it, until Freud jr., (you) came along, with a
mindset that you not only know what emotional state a
faceless person behind a computer that you will never meet
is typing, but being so sure of yourself that your
actually "corrected" me when I let you know you were
completely mistaken.

Anders, although it has no importance whatsoever, let me
state that on my mother's grave (I can't think of a more
serious way of puuting
it), I was in a happy, non-angry mood when I typed that
correction. I meant no malice, bitterness, animosity, or
hatred, either minor or large. It was simply a
correction. May every member of my family die a horrible
death if I am lying in any way.

Does that help? Here's more, if you are still thinking I am
secretly harbouring hidden anger/irritatedness from the all-
knowing eyes of Anders Lustig the great mind-reader:

When Donovan replied with this:

> Oops, I suppose I should have removed your name from
> it. Sorry.

... my answer was:

> lol, no problem - it just confused me... okay, I admit
> that's not hard to do. ;)

you decided that somewhere in there, or maybe before when I
said these evil words to Donovan:

> I didn't say any of this, Anders Lustig did. It looks
> like you are quoting me, as my name is there but nothing
> I said is.

... there was some sort of animosity lurking. Again, Anders,
please do yourself a favor and stop trying to tell me how I
feel. Again, if I was angry, I'd have said so. Go out for a
run or something.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

Spring has obviously come.
"Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Please stop beating the horse --
>
> It is a parrot, stupid:)
>

> It is perfectly understandable that you couldn´t bring
> yourself to read the entire post - but if you had, you´d
> saved yourself the trouble of pointing out to me that a
> dead horse is indeed a dead horse...
>

> Anders

Well, I'm a sheep's eyeballs and monkey brains man meself.
news:[email protected]...

TopCounsel wrote:
>> how does iodine help you lose weight?
>
> I didn't start this Iodine thread, and really am not an
> expert on Iodine, but I do know that Iodine is used by the
> body to help regulate the Thyroid Gland,

From what I remember, iodine doesn't "regulate" the
thyroid gland.

It is required by the gland to make thyroid hormones and if
you're short of it, your thyroid gland will enlarge as the
poor thing struggles to cope. An excess of iodine with
simply be excreted and doesn't stimulate or suppress the
production of thyroid hormones.

Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit

steve common wrote:

> Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>quite fit. Just for edification and correctness:
>

> Anders used the word perfectly well. **** can be used as a
> synonym for twit in real English <troll on>(ie that spoken
> in the UK).
>
> However its more common use, in the North of England at
> least, is as a synonym for c*nt.
>
> This word can and is applied to two-legged twats of all
> genders. <troll off>

I knew, or highly suspected, that he was using it to mean
twit since Anders has always been repectful. I did not know
that **** and twit were British synonyms. The things we
learn on the internet. That's **** you said. :)

Then there is the ***** pack.....

a **** is a hairy twit

Doug Freese wrote:

> I knew, or highly suspected, that he was using it to mean
> twit since Anders has always been repectful. I did not
> know that **** and twit were British synonyms.

Not at all. **** is considerably more insulting than twit.
Mix them up in real company at your peril!

>The things we learn on the internet.

Mostly misinformation. ;-)

Tim

--

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> *sigh* Anders, I don't know what priggish means, but let
> me explain a little better.... if I was upset, angry,
> chagrined, ****** off, (whatever word you want to use...
> even this "priggish"), I would have done either of these
> two things:

Let me reprocicate that sigh:)

I´m truly surprised that you don´t know what priggish means,
but then it could very well be that it´s a Brit-En word that
never travelled across the ocean (or that although there is
the noun, there is no adjective, and that it is quite un-
reasonable of me to expect anyone to infer the meaning...).

A definition as good as any is: "one who offend or irritates
by observance of proprieties (as of speech or manner) in a
pointed manner to an obnoxious degree". I might add: "(of)
especially false or unnecessary proprieties".

> 1. said yeah, the post irritated me...

I never, ever said, suggested or hinted that you were upset,
angry, chagrined or ****** off, or that the post irritated
you(1) - and I didn´t see any need any point to spell it out
or to "bend it out of plywire for you", to translate a
Finnish idiom, because I thought my choice of word would´ve
made it clear, but, alas...

(1) OTOH, all of the above did apply to *my* reaction and
state of being on Monday...

> ...BUT, the thing is, I wasn't in any way, shape or form,
> irritated in the slightest. I merely made a correction and
> forgot about it, until Freud jr., (you) came along, with a
> mindset that you not only know what emotional state a
> faceless person behind a computer that you will never meet
> is typing, but being so sure of yourself that your
> actually "corrected" me when I let you know you were
> completely mistaken.

I only made an observation of an act of behaviour and,
further, a comment that it was the kind of act that only a
self-important prig would commit.

I made mp claim whatsoever of knowing your emotional state.
However, since life itself has taught me that pre-race
tension can manifest itself in various ways, such as a
greatly increased irritability, a strong tendency to behave
like a pompous **** *or* like a self-important prig, I did
suggest that this could have been an axplanation.

Besides, since my general impression hadn´t been that you
are a self-important prig all the time, it appeared sensible
that there may have been a temporary cause.

> Anders, although it has no importance whatsoever, let me
> state that on my mother's grave (I can't think of a more
> serious way of puuting
> it), I was in a happy, non-angry mood when I typed that
> correction. I meant no malice, bitterness, animosity,
> or hatred, either minor or large. It was simply a
> correction. May every member of my family die a
> horrible death if I am lying in any way.

One doesn´t have to be a faithful disciple of Freud to
remind you that we are not always aware of either our
motives or our deeper mental states.

And it is *characteristic* for a prig that what he thinks he
does is "simply a correction"!

> Does that help? Here's more, if you are still thinking I
> am secretly harbouring hidden anger/irritatedness from the
> all-knowing eyes of Anders Lustig the great mind-reader:

Can you possibly believe that I had read (and completely
understood) your ensuing reply to Donovan (and that, even
prior to it, I never read any anger or animosity into your
"correction")?

> ... there was some sort of animosity lurking. Again,
> Anders, please do yourself a favor and stop trying to tell
> me how I feel. Again, if I was angry, I'd have said so. Go
> out for a run or something.

And break my effing leg? Is that what you want?:)

Well, there is a short respite from the rain: I got a
good hour and a half of skiing last night and probably
another tonight.

I feel much better now, thank you - I´m not as
seriously ****** off as I probably should be by your
astounding reluctance to consult a dictionary and
enlargen your vocabulary:)

(FWIW I believe flogging a dead horse is preferable to
letting a tiny sense of sting grow so that one fine day one
finds oneself trying to get rid of it by returning it larger
than life to an innocent thrid party.)

Anders

On 17 Mar 2004 00:53:34 -0800, [email protected] (Anders Lustig)
wrote:

>(FWIW I believe flogging a dead horse is preferable to
>letting a tiny sense of sting grow so that one fine day one
>finds oneself trying to get rid of it by returning it
>larger than life to an innocent thrid party.)

Anders, you've made the most fundamental error available to
a reasonable man; you've constructed an argument based on
logic, reason and common sense and attempted to apply this
in a discussion with an individual who is in painfully short
supply of all three.

In article <[email protected]>, I tan I epi tas wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2004 00:53:34 -0800, [email protected] (Anders
> Lustig) wrote:
>

>>(FWIW I believe flogging a dead horse is preferable to
>>letting a tiny sense of sting grow so that one fine day
>>one finds oneself trying to get rid of it by returning it
>>larger than life to an innocent thrid party.)
>
> Anders, you've made the most fundamental error available
> to a reasonable man; you've constructed an argument based
> on logic, reason and common sense and attempted to apply
> this in a discussion with an individual who is in
> painfully short supply of all three.

What Anders did is jumped into a thread where Dave called
me on "double-quoting" (as illustrated above) to make
strident, whiny corrections long after I'd ceased to case
about the thread. Despite the fact that Anders is "on my
side" (in the sense that he's defending my practice) I
still find myself wishing that he'd just move on and find
another dead horse to flog.

Maybe we could debate the origin of the "flogging a dead
horse" idiom, then Anders would have the opportunity to flog
a dead horse about flogging a dead horse.

I believe this -- an insistence on being "right" about
points of very little importance -- is what you would call
"bringing about ones own misery".

Cheers,

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:50:37 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What Anders did is jumped into a thread

Threads do not have ownership, therefore one cannot 'jump
in'. Threads exist; contributors contribute.

> where Dave called me on "double-quoting" (as illustrated
> above) to make strident, whiny corrections long after I'd
> ceased to case about the thread.

I don't think Anders response was motivated by your concern,
whether it be real or imaginary. He was pointing out - in
non-whiny and rather too polite terms - that 'Dave' is a
**** (UK terminology). An observation with which I
wholeheartedly concur.

>Despite the fact that Anders is "on my side" (in the
>sense that he's defending my practice) I still find
>myself wishing that he'd just move on and find another
>dead horse to flog.

I don't. I've quite enjoyed watching this particular
dogfight. Who would have though that mild-mannered Anders
has a backbone of steel?

>I believe this -- an insistence on being "right" about
>points of very little importance -- is what you would call
>"bringing about ones own misery".

Au contraire. Life is in the detail. You should know that,
you're a bloody scientist.

"Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I only made an observation of an act of behaviour

No, you assumed something. There was no "act of behavior".
That's the part you assumed. What there was, was a simple
correction, with no deep-seated, emotional meaning or
ulterior motive at all. The basis for making the correction
was only to ensure the ongoing conversation would be easier
to follow. I forget what it was that I was supposed to have
said. All I know is I remember reading it, thinking "I
didn't type that", and making a quick reply to correct
Donovan, who read my reply and we had a little chuckle over
it and that was it.

Then you started with the psychological issues, primal fears
and emotional disorders. I fell like I should be talking to
lamp posts and living in a homeless shelter after your
analyzation of my words.

> I made mp claim whatsoever of knowing your emotional
> state. However, since life itself has taught me that pre-
> race tension can manifest itself in various ways, such as
> a greatly increased irritability, a strong tendency to
> behave like a pompous **** *or* like a self-important
> prig, I did suggest that this could have been an
> axplanation.

You suggested nothing. You felt (in your own words) that I
may very well have "greatly increased irritability, a strong
tendency to behave like a pompous ****,*or* like a self-
important prig"; all from these two short sentences:

"I didn't say any of this, Anders Lustig did. It looks
like you are quoting me, as my name is there but nothing
I said is."

Incredible.

> Besides, since my general impression hadn´t been that you
> are a self-important prig all the time, it appeared
> sensible that there may have been a temporary cause.

Did it ever occur to you that there ... umm... was no cause?

> One doesn´t have to be a faithful disciple of Freud to
> remind you that we are not always aware of either our
> motives or our deeper mental states.

Oh my god, I just thought the thread would be less tangled,
easier to follow, etc, if I threw in the correction.
Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, Anders. Let go.

If anything, I admit to not liking mess that's easily
preventable, like a NG thread with jumbled quotes. It's hard
to live with the deep- seated emotional scarring and trauma
this behaviour has caused... I'll try to solder on.

> And it is *characteristic* for a prig that what he thinks
> he does is "simply a correction"!

Sure, to an idiot who thinks that there's emotional
reasons behind
it.

> > ... there was some sort of animosity lurking. Again,
> > Anders, please do yourself a favor and stop trying to
> > tell me how I feel. Again, if I was angry, I'd have said
> > so. Go out for a run or something.
>
> And break my effing leg? Is that what you want?:)

No, Anders. There was no hidden meaning behind my "go
for a run statement", either. I don't desire for you to
break your leg.

> I feel much better now, thank you - I´m not as
> seriously ****** off as I probably should be by your
> astounding reluctance to consult a dictionary and
> enlargen your vocabulary:)

Of course...alll this happened not because you read into
things, but because I don't know the word "priggish". Right.

cheers,
--

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<RN%[email protected]>...

> > I only made an observation of an act of behaviour

> No, you assumed something. There was no "act of behavior".
> That's the part you assumed. What there was, was a simple
> correction, with no deep-seated, emotional meaning or
> ulterior motive at all.

I am perfectly aware that this discussion is growing
increasingly absurd at a huge rate mainly because I don´t
manage to get a single thing across to you and/or you´re
doing your best to read and write past me - but a) as a
final effort (on my part) to clarify and bring about some
sort of common understanding and b) because I do deeply
resent your false accusations:

The "correction" was, of course, the act, and that it was
unarguably a completely unfounded and quite unnecessary
correction was the fact that made it, quite objectively, an
"act of behaviour".

There was absolutely no need to assume or attribute any deep-
seated, emotional meaning or ulterior motivate to it in
order to judge it that of a self-important prig; it was one
as such, in itself.

> The basis for making the correction was only to ensure the
> ongoing conversation would be easier to follow. I forget
> what it was that I was supposed to have said. All I know
> is I remember reading it, thinking "I didn't type that",
> and making a quick reply to correct Donovan, who read my
> reply and we had a little chuckle over it and that was it.

There was, I repeat, no need whatsoever to make it easier to
follow, as no normal, half-awake reader could possibly have
seen in that post a single line that you´d have been
supposed to have said; Donovan´s small insignifcant error
(of including a previous sender line) could not conceivably
have caused any confusion or confusion to anyone but a self-
important prig.

It was splendid of Donovan to apologize and fine of you to
kindly accept it and jolly good for both of you to have a
little chuckle over it but:

1) that doesn´t in any way diminish the essential
priggishness of your "correction, and
2) nothing, no thread or exchange of messages is ever only
between the persons who´re involved as authors; all
messages and every little thing said in them also belong
to and, indeed, are equally directed at everyone else who
might become their readers. Therefore - to refer back to
where this particular bit of thread drift started - every
act of priggishness is directed not only at its nominal
recipient, but at the entire newsgroup community.

> Then you started with the psychological issues, primal
> fears and emotional disorders. I fell like I should be
> talking to lamp posts and living in a homeless shelter
> after your analyzation of my words.

Please get it into your head that I have never entered any
psychological issues asuch as primal fear or emotional dis-
orders into this discussion. You seem to have a habit of not
reading very carefully and a certain habit to extrapolate
rather wildly in the direction your misinterpretation leads
or allows you to lead.

In hindsight, it was incredibly stupid of me to respond to a
quite-beside-the-point statement (aboutyour perceived state
of emotion) with what was intended asa friendly return of
your humorous introduction of Freud to this discussion a few
lines earlier; if I´d even suspected that you´d interpret as
my seeing or insisting on or my "case" being built on seeing
or even suggesting any "psychological issues" behind your
act of behavious, I wouldn´t have made it - but in any case
you´ve read much more into it than anyone can reasonably
do.

> > I made mp claim whatsoever of knowing your emotional
> > state. However, since life itself has taught me that pre-
> > race tension can manifest itself in various ways, such
> > as a greatly increased irritability, a strong tendency
> > to behave like a pompous **** *or* like a self-important
> > prig, I did suggest that this could have been an
> > axplanation.

> You suggested nothing. You felt (in your own words) that I
> may very well have "greatly increased irritability, a
> strong tendency to behave like a pompous ****,*or* like a
> self-important prig"; all from these two short sentences:

It was incontestable that you´d behaved like a self-
important prig. The only open question was whether you were
like that permanently - which would be a character issue,
not a psycho- logical issue, let alone an emotional
disorder - or whether this was a temporary thing, and this
led me to suggest (in the form of a smiley-tagged question:
"Did you, too, have a key race during the weekend?:)") a
temporary cause.

Please do see the difference between two things: 1) what I
suggested about you, and 2) what I listes as some of the
more common behavioural symptoms of pre-race nerves (which.
of course, need not all manifest themselves simultaneously
or in the same person).

> "I didn't say any of this, Anders Lustig did. It looks
> like you are quoting me, as my name is there but nothing I
> said is."

> Incredible.

When something seems incredible, it can be a good
question to ask oneself: "Am I only dreaming?". In this
case, you haven´t been reading what I wrote, you´ve been
dreaming it up.

> > Besides, since my general impression hadn´t been that
> > you are a self-important prig all the time, it appeared
> > sensible that there may have been a temporary cause.

> Did it ever occur to you that there ... umm... was
> no cause?

If it wasn´t a temporary thing, then there wasn´t a cause,
it´s clear as a whistle and I did allow for that
possibility: you are a self-important prig "24/7/365" - and
that isn´t something that must have a cause...

> > One doesn´t have to be a faithful disciple of Freud to
> > remind you that we are not always aware of either our
> > motives or our deeper mental states.

> Oh my god, I just thought the thread would be less
> tangled, easier to follow, etc, if I threw in the
> correction. Sometimes a cigar is a cigar, Anders. Let go.

Keep your cigars out of this!

It is, again, a charasteristic of the self-important prig to
perceive that he´s only doing it for the common good or what-
ever, he does not have the least idea and he cannor accept
the notion that what he does might be priggish.

But, relax, man: it´s no big deal! Some of the nicest
guys and the best of men are or can be self-important
prigs at times:)

> If anything, I admit to not liking mess that's easily
> preventable, like a NG thread with jumbled quotes. It's
> hard to live with the deep- seated emotional scarring and
> trauma this behaviour has caused... I'll try to solder on.

I´m pretty convinced that my remarks have not shattered the
core of your being, charred the corners of your self-picture
or left you muttering incomprhensibly at street corners.

> > And it is *characteristic* for a prig that what he
> > thinks he does is "simply a correction"!

> Sure, to an idiot who thinks that there's emotional
> reasons behind
> it.

To repeat, while I may be an idiot, I didn´t play Freud,
Jung, Reich or any of the more modern chaps here.

> > And break my effing leg? Is that what you want?:)

> No, Anders. There was no hidden meaning behind my "go for
> a run statement", either. I don't desire for you to break
> your leg.

No, but that´s only because you know there´s no way I´ll
become half as fast as you...

> > I feel much better now, thank you - I´m not as
> > seriously ****** off as I probably should be by your
> > astounding reluctance to consult a dictionary and
> > enlargen your vocabulary:)

> Of course...alll this happened not because you read
> into things, but because I don't know the word
> "priggish". Right.

Not all this, but everything that ensued from your running
down the wrong street *did* happen because you didn´t know
the word, didn´t bother to consult a dictionary or didn´t
even stop to consider that there might be a reason why my
choice of word didn´t fall on any of the ones you listed.

(Someone else, certainly, would´ve seen no point in trying
to steer the discussion back and up the right street...)

Responsibility is a serious thing, you know, also in a light
discussion:)

Anders

> cheers,

Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> What Anders did is jumped into a thread where Dave called
> me on "double-quoting" (as illustrated above) to make
> strident, whiny corrections long after I'd ceased to case
> about the thread. Despite the fact that Anders > is "on my
> side" (in the sense that he's defending my practice) I
> still find myself wishing that he'd just move on and find
> another dead horse to flog.

You´re perfectly entitled to cease to care about a thread
whenever you wish, or wish whatever about a thread, but no
thread ever exists solely for you.

FWIW I don´t think the use of an exclamation mark (to
indicate a quite basic unarguableness of a statement) is
enough to make anything strident or whiny - but I must leave
it to others to discern whether there was any such tone in
that post or in any of the ensuing ones.

BTW I find the use of the word "whiny" by someone who isn´t
a eleven-year-old boy who has an acute but quite uncertain
sense of what is "manly" and what is "unmanly" quite
delightful; is it an Americanism that you´ve picked up?)

> Maybe we could debate the origin of the "flogging a dead
> horse" idiom, then Anders would have the opportunity to
> flog a dead horse about flogging a dead horse.

I could probably even flog a dead horse with a dead horse...

> I believe this -- an insistence on being "right" about
> points of very little importance -- is what you would call
> "bringing about ones own misery".

My faiblesse is not that I go on and on and insist that I´m
right - I can easily terminate a discussion leaving people
in the firm belief that they´re right - it is that I cannot
let a single misrepresentaion of what I´ve stand
uncontested...

Anders Anders (who

Anders, adding a winking smiley face at the end of every
sentence just makes you look even more like the smug idiot
that you are. It's clear that you can't see beyond you nose,
in being absolutely sure that my correction was 'priggish'.

Also, by saying that, my oath that my mother should die if I
was lying about my motive (or lack of ) in making the
correction is meaningless to you. To make that comment as I
did was not done lightly. However, according to you, my
mother's life has no meaning, since you didn't even give a
**** about that. Sooo.... now it's become personal.

I would contest my mother's life to the death, Anders.
Easily. Got any more indirect (but serious) insults to
send her way? You are treading on serious ground here. Be
very careful.

It's clear that you are obsessed with me. I don't like you,
I've never liked your (very common) way of adding
smilies/winks after insulting people, like a veil of
snobbery.

Want to make it even more personal? Your call. I'll take it
as far as you'd like.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people
down constantly."

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:27:34 -0500, "SwStudio"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I would contest my mother's life to the death, Anders.
>Easily. Got any more indirect (but serious) insults to
>send her way? You are treading on serious ground here. Be
>very careful.

Danger, SWStudio, Danger! Your tenuous grasp on reality is
failing AND your Oedipus complex is showing!

>It's clear that you are obsessed with me. I don't like you,
>I've never liked your (very common) way of adding
>smilies/winks after insulting people, like a veil of
>snobbery.

It's true. Anders is both gay and snobbish. Why, I'll even
bet he's a black, Jewish, child abuser too.

(If I've missed any ethnic or sub-cultural groups who are
normally stigmatised, forgive me. Mail me you names and I'll
add them to my list of 'groups to marginalise and
humiliate'.)

>Want to make it even more personal? Your call. I'll take it
>as far as you'd like.

Will the charming, dogged, Anders thrash the dim, mummy-
obsessed, David? Or will history repeat itself and the Finn
be submerged under a Red Tide; though on this occasion not
the Star of Russia but the crimson Maple Leaf of Canada?

Personally, I can't wait for the next instalment. Hope my
server stays up :)

Doug Freese wrote:

> Do we think Elsie the contented cow was charmed because
> she had eaten many of her relatives?

And people wonder where mad cow disease came from.

TopCounsel wrote:

>they added Iodine to salt here in the US to be sure we
>wouldn't all get goiter (swollen Thyroid due to Iodine
>deficiency).

Talking of additives to salt: why do they add sugar to it?