Difference between 105 and Ultegra 9-speed cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    What's the difference between a 105 and Ultegra 9-speed cassette (besides about $10 in price)?

    Thanks in advance,

    - Boyd S.

    Tags:

  2. > What's the difference between a 105 and Ultegra 9-speed cassette (besides about $10 in price)?

    The Ultegra is lighter due to its aluminum carrier body, while the '105 cassette is entirely steel.
    It *seems* that Ultegra cassettes are quieter, but could be my imagination. I notice no difference
    in shifting quality or lifespan though.

  3. Boyd asks-<< What's the difference between a 105 and Ultegra 9-speed cassette (besides about $10 in
    price)? >><BR><BR>

    Last section(largest) of the cogset is on a carrier for ultegra, just pinned together loose cogs for
    105. The pins can be taken out for cleaning, BTW, a good thing.

  4. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    > > What's the difference between a 105 and Ultegra 9-speed cassette (besides about $10 in price)?
    >
    > The Ultegra is lighter due to its aluminum carrier body, while the '105 cassette is entirely
    > steel. It *seems* that Ultegra cassettes are quieter, but could be my imagination. I notice no
    > difference in shifting quality or lifespan though.

    Also take a look at SRAM Shimano compatible cassettes. They are lighter than Ultegra and about the
    same price. The chrome plating (I think) is nice and shiny. Performancebike has them.

  5. [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> > What's the difference between a 105 and Ultegra 9-speed cassette (besides about $10 in price)?
    >>
    >> The Ultegra is lighter due to its aluminum carrier body, while the '105 cassette is entirely
    >> steel. It *seems* that Ultegra cassettes are quieter, but could be my imagination. I notice no
    >> difference in shifting quality or lifespan though.
    >
    > Also take a look at SRAM Shimano compatible cassettes. They are lighter than Ultegra and about the
    > same price. The chrome plating (I think) is nice and shiny. Performancebike has them.

    Aren't the SRAM cassettes one piece? I'm only concerned because I tend to where out some gears
    faster than others; its a lot cheaper to replace one or two gears than the whole cassette.

    - Boyd S.

  6. > Also take a look at SRAM Shimano compatible cassettes. They are lighter than Ultegra and about the
    > same price. The chrome plating (I think) is nice and shiny. Performancebike has them.

    Unless they've changed from the generation I tried, the SRAM cassettes are all individual steel
    cogs, not bolted together tightly enough to allow multiple cogs to carry the load. When used on an
    aluminum cassette mechanism, they tend to dig in pretty nastily, making them a bear to remove. Could
    be they're made differently now.

    The Ultegra and DuraAce cassettes, for the most part, spread the load by either attaching multiple
    cogs (three) to one alloy carrier, or by incorporating spacers into the individual cogs. The issue
    is that the contact surface between cog and body (which is what must carry the pedaling forces) is
    considerably greater, and less likely to damage the cassette mechanism.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Aren't the SRAM cassettes one piece? I'm only concerned because I tend to where out some gears
    > faster than others; its a lot cheaper to replace one or two gears than the whole cassette.

    SRAM #7 are single cogs which may be swapped. SRAM #9 uses a spider.

  8. > That issue aside, how well do the SRAM cassettes shift compared to Shimano/Campy, and how long do
    > they last? Any difference?

    The SRAM cassette I used was a 12-26 9 speed, and it worked just fine; I noticed no difference in
    shifting between it and my Ultegra. A bit noisier perhaps, but otherwise fine.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > Also take a look at SRAM Shimano compatible cassettes. They are lighter than Ultegra and about
    > > the same price. The chrome plating (I think) is nice and shiny. Performancebike has them.

    > Unless they've changed from the generation I tried, the SRAM cassettes are all individual steel
    > cogs, not bolted together tightly enough to allow multiple cogs to carry the load. When used on an
    > aluminum cassette mechanism, they tend to dig in pretty nastily, making them a bear to
    remove.
    > Could be they're made differently now.
    >
    > The Ultegra and DuraAce cassettes, for the most part, spread the load by either attaching multiple
    > cogs (three) to one alloy carrier, or by incorporating spacers into the individual cogs. The issue
    > is that the contact surface between cog and body (which is what must carry the
    pedaling
    > forces) is considerably greater, and less likely to damage the cassette mechanism.

    The SRAM #7 has loose swappable cogs. Their #9 is a spidered system. As in Shimano, choose your
    feature set, as both formats are current.

    ps-We sell quite a few SRAM cassettes as the weight and available sizes are favorable to some
    riders' tastes. It's good to have a choice of alternate vendors IMHO.

    Distribution is excellent too, so prompt delivery is a factor for us. Most of our suppliers
    have them.

  10. Zaf

    Zaf Guest

    > > What's the difference between a 105 and Ultegra 9-speed cassette (besides about $10 in price)?
    >
    > The Ultegra is lighter due to its aluminum carrier body, while the '105 cassette is entirely
    > steel. It *seems* that Ultegra cassettes are quieter, but could be my imagination. I notice no
    > difference in shifting quality or lifespan though.

    Well, I'm not a particularly strong rider and I sheared my ultegra cassette spider to pieces after
    ~5000 miles, so I'd go 105 next time!

  11. > Well, I'm not a particularly strong rider and I sheared my ultegra cassette spider to pieces after
    > ~5000 miles, so I'd go 105 next time!

    Not a typical experience. Between our two shops we sell probably 400 road bikes/year with Ultegra,
    maybe a lot more if I think about it, and none of my customers have (yet) "sheared" an Ultegra
    cassette body. And some of them *are* very strong riders. I'd say something was defective about
    either the body or the installation (although I can't figure how it could be installed that would
    cause that). But it's certainly not a reason to avoid an Ultegra cassette (or DuraAce, for that
    matter, which also has an aluminum carrier for many of the cogs).