Difference between 9speed and 10speed Chainrings...?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by puma, Sep 26, 2004.

1. puma

puma New Member

Hello. I was just wondering if and what the difference between 9speed and 10speed chainrings was, paticularly Campy? Does it have something to do with the width of the ring and/or the chainrings being closer to each other (for triples sake)? Thanks.

Tags:

2. gruppo

gruppo New Member

puma, this question has been asked and answered dozens of times. Why not do a search on "chainring" and you will find lots of answers and opinions.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

There is no difference.

4. gruppo

gruppo New Member

Now that is real BS.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Then tell us the REAL difference,and no BS.Campy 10 double rings are .4mm closer together,but the rings aren't different,the crank arms are machined differrent. Many aftermarket suppliers offer cranksets/rings the are 9/10 compatible. 10 speed chains will run on even old 6 speed chainrings/cranks.

6. gruppo

gruppo New Member

Well, some times you just have to suck it up and admit that you were wrong. This is one of them. I completely misread the original message in this thread. I don't know how, because it really is very clear, but I certainly must of had something else on my mind.

Apologies to both puma and boudreaux for the error and the misinformed replies.

G

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Even Sheldon Brown has brainfarts.

8. puma

puma New Member

My apologies if I wasted anyone's time. I only ask questions after spending at least some good amount of time looking for the answers, and after a bunch of searches on google (which reveal even cycling board posts) I couldn't find anything defining. So I'm actually displeased that you would think I'm just posting notoriously overasked questions. In fact, my apology is only offered for reasons of maintaining this board's kind and informative nature because I don't agree with you that this question has been asked and answered dozens of times before. In fact, I just did a search for "chainring" on this board, and with 266 (6 pages) matches coming up, I couldn't find one defining or exact topic title. And even if the answer was hiding somewhere among all those thousands of posts/replies, I would be expending way more time and energy than needed for a question that you call "asked and answered" dozens of times before. I also found no posts with variations of the words "9, 10, speed, 9speed, 10speed, chainring/s, difference" and the only post I could find pertinent to the search was this one. So now, in keeping with this board's kind and informative nature, I bid you all a fair ado, and am glad that if someone does a search related to the difference between 9 and 10 speed chainrings now, he or she will find this one.

9. Mad Skilz

Mad Skilz New Member

Funny, 8 1/2 years later, Im asking myself the same question... pay no attention to people with no patience~

10. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Watch this space. I'll do some measuring tomorrow.

11. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Without disassembling anything, I found the chain track of an Ultegra 10-speed ring to be be 3.4mm thick, and that of a Bontrager 9-speed to be 3. mm. Spacing between both sets of rings was about 7.8mm. Regarding Campagnolo, sorry, I hardly ever see that stuff anymore.

But for Shimano, SRAM, and compatible systems, I'm inclined to say as long as a chain slips effortlessly over the teeth there's no harm in trying.

12. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

No matter whether it's Campy or Shimano, you can interchange 9 and 10spd chainrings to your hearts content without issue.