Difference between a Disc Brake and a V-Brake and what should an individual opt for?

aryansmart007

Aug 19, 2010
Hey guys, I have still not understood the basic difference between a disc and a V Brake. How does it add value to the cycle that I purchase? Need some information on this.

V Brakes are cheap and efficient and use pads on the wheel rim to stop. But if the rim is dirty or icy it can be less efficient.

Disc brakes use a pad on a disc surface. They are stronger brakes but more expensive. They use hydrolics. They also don't use the rim of the wheel so it shouldn't wear out.

Hey I will try answering your question, The V-Brakes works by compressing rubber pads against the rim of your wheel. They are simple, light, inexpensive and effective. The shortcomings are if you live and ride in wet areas, your rims will get wet and muddy and the brakes will make incredible squalling noises when you use them. Where as Disc brakes work by compressing disks against a rotor mounted on the hub of your wheel. As others have said, they are quite comparable to disc brakes on an automobile. They are much heavier than the normal V-Brakes, not as simple, and much more expensive. The advantage is they provide more stopping power.
Disc brakes are expensive. Hence Money wise you can go in for a bike with V breaks. However if you are going to be riding long distance and have a budget, I think you should go in for the bike with Disc breaks. I hope this helps you.

Well said aarav I would also like to add that Disc brakes come in two types: mechanical and hydraulic. A cable from the brake lever to the brakes actuates the mechanical disc brakes. Hydraulic brakes are actuated by hydraulic fluid pumping from the brake levers to the brakes.

In my opinion there is really no advantage of a mechanical disc brakes. They cost more, weigh more, and are more complicated than V-Brakes.

How do you plan on riding? If it is really muddy and dirty or icy then the hydrolic discs are probably a better choice.

I have a Fuji Absolute 1.0 it has mec. disc brakes and thay have a lot of stoping power thay will flat spot the tire if you lock them up, and that is easy to do. I went for the disc brake because of the sand sround here, it is all over the road and gets all over the bike. My outher 2 bikes the rims are verry tore up from the sand. This bike the rims are like new and the rotars allso, 2800 miles on it. Yes I gave up a little weight but it stops so good with this 240#er on it :)

Rim brakes eventually wear your rims away especially when off roading as all the crud creates a neat grinding paste between rim and pad. Disc brakes are more mechanically efficient than rim brakes and apply the braking forces directly to the hub not through the spokes.