difference between bottom brackets for road and track?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bryan K. Walton, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. I picked up an early 70s Gitane track frame at a bike swap this past weekend. The bottom bracket
    shell is French threaded. I know that I could probably run a tap through it to English thread it,
    but I would rather not if I can help it. So . . .

    So I started looking on the web for french threaded bottom brackets. Sheldon Brown has some pretty
    nice Stronglights:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#stronglightbb

    But I am unsure whether I need to be looking for distinctly track bottom brackets, or if road vs.
    track doesn't matter in this area.

    Any pointers?

    Thanks, Bryan

    --
    ************** remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email **************

    Tags:

  2. Bryan K. Walton wrote:

    > I picked up an early 70s Gitane track frame at a bike swap this past weekend. The bottom bracket
    > shell is French threaded. I know that I could probably run a tap through it to English thread it,
    > but I would rather not if I can help it. So . . .
    >
    > So I started looking on the web for french threaded bottom brackets. Sheldon Brown has some pretty
    > nice Stronglights:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#stronglightbb
    >
    > But I am unsure whether I need to be looking for distinctly track bottom brackets, or if road vs.
    > track doesn't matter in this area.
    >
    > Any pointers?

    As only one chainring is used on a track bike, the spindle length is pretty short to get the correct
    chainline. Track BBs may be less well sealed, on the assumption that they won't be used on wet
    roads. A lot of cheaper track hubs wouldn't last long on a commute because water can run straight
    into the bearings.

    Apart from that, they all do the same job.

  3. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On 26 Jan 2004 14:02:04 CST, "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I picked up an early 70s Gitane track frame at a bike swap this past weekend. The bottom bracket
    >shell is French threaded. I know that I could probably run a tap through it to English thread it,
    >but I would rather not if I can help it. So . . .
    >
    >So I started looking on the web for french threaded bottom brackets. Sheldon Brown has some pretty
    >nice Stronglights:
    >
    >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#stronglightbb
    >
    >But I am unsure whether I need to be looking for distinctly track bottom brackets, or if road vs.
    >track doesn't matter in this area.
    >
    >Any pointers?
    >
    >Thanks, Bryan

    Most track cranks use a 110mm axle, make sure you get the right taper (ISO vs. JIS) for your cranks.
    Using a road BB on a track bike is OK, unless you're planning to be a pro kieren rider in japan
    where you'll need a NJS certified BB!

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Bryan K. Walton wrote:

    > I picked up an early 70s Gitane track frame at a bike swap this past weekend. The bottom bracket
    > shell is French threaded. I know that I could probably run a tap through it to English thread it,
    > but I would rather not if I can help it. So . . .
    >
    > So I started looking on the web for french threaded bottom brackets. Sheldon Brown has some pretty
    > nice Stronglights:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#stronglightbb
    >
    > But I am unsure whether I need to be looking for distinctly track bottom brackets, or if road vs.
    > track doesn't matter in this area.
    >
    > Any pointers?

    Cup thread matches frame; Spindle length matches crank.

    Oh, and a BSC tap at 1.370"=34.85mm will not do much in your 35mm threads

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > As only one chainring is used on a track bike, the spindle length is pretty short to get the
    > correct chainline. Track BBs may be less well

    Thanks for the reply, are you saying that the spindle length for the Stronglights I referred to are
    too short to get the correct chainline? What spindle length do I need for a French track frame?

    Thanks, Bryan Walton

    --
    ************** remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email **************

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    Kinky Cowboy wrote:

    > Most track cranks use a 110mm axle, make sure you get the right taper (ISO vs. JIS) for your
    > cranks. Using a road BB on a track bike is OK, unless you're planning to be a pro kieren rider in
    > japan where you'll need a NJS certified BB!

    Forgive me, when you refer to a 110mm axle, are you referring to spindle dimensions? Ore
    something else?

    Thanks, Bryan Walton

    --

  7. In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi wrote:

    > Cup thread matches frame; Spindle length matches crank.
    >
    > Oh, and a BSC tap at 1.370"=34.85mm will not do much in your 35mm threads

    Hi Andrew, for clarification, are you saying that I should not bother with running the tap?

    Thanks, Bryan

    --

  8. Bryan K. Walton wrote:

    > ...are you saying that the spindle length for the Stronglights I referred to are too short to get
    > the correct chainline?

    Too long, not too short.

    > What spindle length do I need for a French track frame?

    That Stronglight bb is 124 mm with a 4 mm offset to the right.

    While it will fit any French threaded _frame_, the spindle length depends on the crankset and the
    desired chainline.

    Most track specific cranks are looking for something like a 109 mm symmetrical spindle, so if you
    were to buy one of those Stronglights from me, nice as it is, the chainring would probably be 9 or
    10 mm too far to the right.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline

    I do have loose ball bbs that would work for you, which spindle would, again, depend on the crank
    you plan to use.

    Another option is Phil Wood. They're expensive but they are really good, and they make something to
    fit everything.

    Sheldon "Chainline" Brown +-----------------------------------------+
    | A ship in the harbor is safe, but | that is not what ships are built for. | --John A. Shedd |
    +-----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Bryan K. Walton wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply, are you saying that the spindle length for the Stronglights I referred
    > to are too short to get the correct chainline? What spindle length do I need for a French
    > track frame?

    Cup thread matches frame. Spindle matches crank.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Bryan K. Walton wrote:
    > Hi Andrew, for clarification, are you saying that I should not bother with running the tap?

    What's the goal?

    If you want to clear any paint and brazing excess from your frame threads then an m35xP1 metric tap
    would be just the thing.

    You that you wanted to make the 35mm hole smaller using a
    34.85mm tap, and that's physically impossible!

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > Most track specific cranks are looking for something like a 109 mm symmetrical spindle, so if you
    > were to buy one of those Stronglights from me, nice as it is, the chainring would probably be 9 or
    > 10 mm too far to the right.
    >
    > I do have loose ball bbs that would work for you, which spindle would, again, depend on the crank
    > you plan to use.

    Hi Sheldon, thanks for the reply. I took a another look at your website, and based on what you say
    above, it seems that I could put together a combination of a T.A. right and left cup, and lock ring;
    along with a T.A. track bottom bracket and be able to leave the bottom bracket french threaded? Is
    that correct?

    Thanks, Bryan

    --
    ************** remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email **************

  12. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    wrote:

    >I picked up an early 70s Gitane track frame at a bike swap this past weekend. The bottom bracket
    >shell is French threaded. I know that I could probably run a tap through it to English thread it,
    >but I would rather not if I can help it. So . . .

    As Andy has tried to explain, the English tap is slightly SMALLER than the existing French thread,
    so this approach has no chance of working.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  13. B.C. Cletta

    B.C. Cletta Guest

    "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Kinky Cowboy wrote:
    > >
    > > Most track cranks use a 110mm axle, make sure you get the right taper (ISO vs. JIS) for your
    > > cranks. Using a road BB on a track bike is OK, unless you're planning to be a pro kieren rider
    > > in japan where you'll need a NJS certified BB!
    >
    > Forgive me, when you refer to a 110mm axle, are you referring to spindle dimensions? Ore
    > something else?
    >
    > Thanks, Bryan Walton

    110-mm is the overall width of the spindle. chk businesscycles.com for spindle info/stuff. every
    track spindle i have, about 5-6, is "narrow"/Campy taper. i've had good success w/ mixing &
    matching spindles & cups. i have a couple sets of Sugino french cups i got off of eBay. also, are
    you sure it's French? (just checking. my 70s Gitane track turned out to be english after i bought
    a french HS for it. i just assume it was french.) the nice thing about the Phil option is you can
    sell the frame & transfer the BB to the new frame by getting new rings.

  14. In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi wrote:

    > What's the goal?
    >
    > If you want to clear any paint and brazing excess from your frame threads then an m35xP1 metric
    > tap would be just the thing.
    >
    > You that you wanted to make the 35mm hole smaller using a
    > 34.85mm tap, and that's physically impossible!

    Thanks, I understand now. If I want to change the thread, I need to go Italian.

    Cheers, Bryan

    --
    ************** remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email **************