difference between front and rear v brake calipers........

fatbiker

Jan 4, 2004
i didn't know there was any?? shimano lx and xt??

can someone clear this up please, as i need to order some new brakes.

cheers

kevin.
:D

basically, it depends upon the manufacturer. S DA uses dual pivot front and back ... the same part front and rear. Campy's 2004 Record uses dual pivot front and single pivot rear.

you also need to be mindful of how the caliper release works for a given manufacturer. Campy Record releases from the shifter. S DA releases at the caliper.

mechanically, i don't think there was any difference. only thing is how the brake pads are oriented for "dummy-proofing" installation.

don't want the brake pads to eject if the pads are facing the wrong way! of course, we'd never make such an error! ;)

Originally posted by Eidetic
basically, it depends upon the manufacturer. S DA uses dual pivot front and back ... the same part front and rear. Campy's 2004 Record uses dual pivot front and single pivot rear.

you also need to be mindful of how the caliper release works for a given manufacturer. Campy Record releases from the shifter. S DA releases at the caliper.
He asked about 'V' bakes.AKA for mtb,hybrid and others hat use mounting studs on the fork and seatstays, NOT road calipers.

boudreaux, you are free to discuss V-brakes, then. The OP's topic was front and rear breakes and brake calipers. True, the first message included "shimano lx and xt", but does that limit the thread?

Actually from the subject his original question was about V-brakes .. take a look and tell me I'm wrong if you can.

Originally posted by Eidetic
boudreaux, you are free to discuss V-brakes, then. The OP's topic was front and rear breakes and brake calipers. True, the first message included "shimano lx and xt", but does that limit the thread?
Go back and read the topic line...:rolleyes:

I think the mounting bolt lengths are different between the front and the rear V brakes.

At least on the XTs I can say for sure they are identical front and rear. You just swap the pads side to side from how they come in the box to use a front marked one on the rear or vise versa .. been there done that when Jenson shipped me 2 fronts one time.

Originally posted by mikeywu
I think the mounting bolt lengths are different between the front and the rear V brakes.

not on v-brakes. the mounting bolt differs on road caliper brakes to deal with the wider fork vs. the seat-stay bridge.

since the front and rear v-brakes mount to the same style cantilever bosses, the mounting bolts are the same.

have a look at the shimano site. they'll have service diagrams that may illuminate the answer for you.