Difference between mapsource europe road maps ...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dundonald, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    There appears to be

    City Navigator Europe
    City Select Europe
    Metroguide Europe

    It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    use this software?

    FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    destination etc).

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Neil Pugh

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Dundonald <[email protected]> writes
    >There appears to be
    >
    >City Navigator Europe
    >City Select Europe
    >Metroguide Europe
    >
    >It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    >functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    >use this software?
    >
    >FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    >purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    >functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    >destination etc).
    >
    >Thanks.

    No personal experience, but there's a review of Metroguide on:

    http://gpsinformation.net/

    Garmin's site at:

    <http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavEuro.jsp#mapsource>
    http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectEuro.jsp
    http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/MGEuro.jsp

    has a features page each of the maps, but I expect you've seen that.
    --
    Neil Pugh

  3. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Neil Pugh wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>,
    > Dundonald <[email protected]> writes
    > >There appears to be
    > >
    > >City Navigator Europe
    > >City Select Europe
    > >Metroguide Europe
    > >
    > >It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    > >functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    > >use this software?
    > >
    > >FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > >purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > >functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    > >destination etc).
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >

    > No personal experience, but there's a review of Metroguide on:
    >
    > http://gpsinformation.net/

    Thanks Neil.

    > Garmin's site at:
    >
    > <http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavEuro.jsp#mapsource>
    > http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectEuro.jsp
    > http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/MGEuro.jsp
    >

    > has a features page each of the maps, but I expect you've seen that.

    Yep. The functionality summary is pretty much identical to each, so
    not sure which one is right for me. The prices vary dramatically
    though.

  4. Dundonald wrote:
    > There appears to be
    >
    > City Navigator Europe
    > City Select Europe
    > Metroguide Europe
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    > functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    > use this software?
    >
    > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    > destination etc).
    >
    > Thanks.

    Metroguide does not support auto routing on the GPS unit, so will just
    point you in a straight line ("as the crow flies") to the destination.

    City Select and City Navigator both support autorouting, AFAIK there's
    very little difference between them. Apparently City Select has smaller
    map tiles, which is useful if you have a GPS device without much memory.

    I've heard City Select is (or is due to be) discontinued, and replaced
    by City Navigator. Also, a new version of City Nav is supposed to be
    released sometime soon.

    --
    Craig Wallace
    http://craig.neogeo.org.uk

  5. Not sure about Navigator but I have been using a GPSMap60C with City
    Select for over a year. Found it to be a great combination with no
    problems. The new Garmins are an even better unit so I hear.

    Phil

  6. Not sure about Navigator but I have been using a GPSMap60C with City

  7. Dundonald wrote:

    > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > functionality

    If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off getting the UK
    topo mapping instead? I think that does auto routing too, doesn't it? Do
    you really need roads for the whole of Europe?

    Paul

  8. Dundonald wrote:

    > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > functionality

    If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off getting the UK
    topo mapping instead? I think that does auto routing too, doesn't it? Do
    you really need roads for the whole of Europe?

    Paul

  9. >If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off getting the UK
    >topo mapping instead?

    There was a previous thread here about the new Garmin UK topo mapping.
    It didn't sound too promising (though I may be wrong).

    For serious walking use I'd suggest Memory Map, Anteq or the like.

    Phil

  10. >If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off getting the UK

  11. [email protected] wrote:
    >> If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off
    >> getting the UK topo mapping instead?

    > There was a previous thread here about the new Garmin UK topo mapping.
    > It didn't sound too promising (though I may be wrong).

    I accept that it's pretty poor compared to the OS maps, but it would still
    be extremely useful in a GPS (you don't need every little detail in the GPS
    to find your way around), far more useful than roads alone. You can add
    free contours to the roads, but the topo contours are more accurate and add
    even more detail besides.

    > For serious walking use I'd suggest Memory Map, Anteq or the like.

    Can't upload those to a GPS. Great for planning and GPS data management,
    but for actual walking, the topo mapping is currently the best bet (aside
    from the palmtop option, but that's got battery and waterproofing issues).

    Paul

  12. [email protected] wrote:
    >> If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off
    >> getting the UK topo mapping instead?

    > There was a previous thread here about the new Garmin UK topo mapping.
    > It didn't sound too promising (though I may be wrong).

    I accept that it's pretty poor compared to the OS maps, but it would still
    be extremely useful in a GPS (you don't need every little detail in the GPS
    to find your way around), far more useful than roads alone. You can add
    free contours to the roads, but the topo contours are more accurate and add
    even more detail besides.

    > For serious walking use I'd suggest Memory Map, Anteq or the like.

    Can't upload those to a GPS. Great for planning and GPS data management,
    but for actual walking, the topo mapping is currently the best bet (aside
    from the palmtop option, but that's got battery and waterproofing issues).

    Paul

  13. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Dundonald wrote:
    > There appears to be
    >
    > City Navigator Europe
    > City Select Europe
    > Metroguide Europe
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    > functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    > use this software?
    >
    > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    > destination etc).

    Maps. Little if any difference, assuming the same version number of product.

    From my understanding:

    City Select= Full routing on GPS and PC. (Product recommended by Garmin for
    60CS series).
    City Navigator = routing on PC, not on GPS. Suits older non-routing GPS
    handsets. Works on newer routing handsets, but you don't get routing on the
    GPS.
    Metroguide = no routing.

    Routing means that you can specify a start and end point, and the device
    (GPS or PC) will work out the route along roads. From two points (start,
    end), it will report all road junctions, etc. etc.
    Lack of routing means you have to specify all the turn points yourself.

    In practice, one usually specifies some turns for a device with routing, to
    ensure it takes the approximate direction you desire.

    If you do without routing on the GPS, the maps still work and display on the
    screen, but the navigation route is show as straight lines between any fixed
    waypoints along the route.

    When I last contacted Garmin UK, I was informed that if I purchased City
    Select V6 (what various web retailers were offering for sale), they would
    upgrade to V7 free of charge. You may wish to check this with them before
    spending.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  14. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Dundonald wrote:
    > There appears to be
    >
    > City Navigator Europe
    > City Select Europe
    > Metroguide Europe
    >
    > It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    > functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    > use this software?
    >
    > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    > destination etc).

    Maps. Little if any difference, assuming the same version number of product.

    From my understanding:

[...]

  15. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Not sure about Navigator but I have been using a GPSMap60C with City
    > Select for over a year. Found it to be a great combination with no
    > problems. The new Garmins are an even better unit so I hear.

    Thanks Phil, did the autorouting work ok with City Select and your 60C?

  16. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Not sure about Navigator but I have been using a GPSMap60C with City
    > Select for over a year. Found it to be a great combination with no
    > problems. The new Garmins are an even better unit so I hear.

    Thanks Phil, did the autorouting work ok with City Select and your 60C?

  17. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Paul Saunders wrote:
    > Dundonald wrote:
    >
    > > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > > functionality

    > If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off getting the UK
    > topo mapping instead? I think that does auto routing too, doesn't it? Do
    > you really need roads for the whole of Europe?

    Paul, if the UK topo does autorouting then that would work just fine,
    whole of Europe is not a necessity. What road mapping have you got,
    that you used with the free contours on top?

  18. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Paul Saunders wrote:
    > Dundonald wrote:
    >
    > > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > > functionality

    > If you plan to use it for walking, wouldn't you be better off getting the UK
    > topo mapping instead? I think that does auto routing too, doesn't it? Do
    > you really need roads for the whole of Europe?

    Paul, if the UK topo does autorouting then that would work just fine,
    whole of Europe is not a necessity. What road mapping have you got,
    that you used with the free contours on top?

  19. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Nigel Cliffe wrote:
    > Dundonald wrote:
    > > There appears to be
    > >
    > > City Navigator Europe
    > > City Select Europe
    > > Metroguide Europe
    > >
    > > It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    > > functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    > > use this software?
    > >
    > > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > > functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    > > destination etc).

    > Maps. Little if any difference, assuming the same version number of product.
    >

    > From my understanding:
    >
    > City Select= Full routing on GPS and PC. (Product recommended by Garmin for
    > 60CS series).
    > City Navigator = routing on PC, not on GPS. Suits older non-routing GPS
    > handsets. Works on newer routing handsets, but you don't get routing on the
    > GPS.
    > Metroguide = no routing.
    >
    > Routing means that you can specify a start and end point, and the device
    > (GPS or PC) will work out the route along roads. From two points (start,
    > end), it will report all road junctions, etc. etc.
    > Lack of routing means you have to specify all the turn points yourself.
    >
    > In practice, one usually specifies some turns for a device with routing, to
    > ensure it takes the approximate direction you desire.
    >
    > If you do without routing on the GPS, the maps still work and display on the
    > screen, but the navigation route is show as straight lines between any fixed
    > waypoints along the route.
    >

    > When I last contacted Garmin UK, I was informed that if I purchased City
    > Select V6 (what various web retailers were offering for sale), they would
    > upgrade to V7 free of charge. You may wish to check this with them before
    > spending.

    Thanks Nigel.

  20. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Nigel Cliffe wrote:
    > Dundonald wrote:
    > > There appears to be
    > >
    > > City Navigator Europe
    > > City Select Europe
    > > Metroguide Europe
    > >
    > > It's not immediately obvious from garmin's site what the difference in
    > > functionality between the three is. Any input from you chaps who may
    > > use this software?
    > >
    > > FYI I will shortly be purchasing Garmin 60CSx and will be looking to
    > > purchase street mapping and would hope to use the 60CSx's auto routing
    > > functionality (i.e. if I take wrong turn, GPS creates a new route to
    > > destination etc).

    > Maps. Little if any difference, assuming the same version number of product.
    >

    > From my understanding:
    >
    > City Select= Full routing on GPS and PC. (Product recommended by Garmin for
    > 60CS series).
    > City Navigator = routing on PC, not on GPS. Suits older non-routing GPS
    > handsets. Works on newer routing handsets, but you don't get routing on the
    > GPS.
    > Metroguide = no routing.
    >
    > Routing means that you can specify a start and end point, and the device
    > (GPS or PC) will work out the route along roads. From two points (start,
    > end), it will report all road junctions, etc. etc.
    > Lack of routing means you have to specify all the turn points yourself.
    >
    > In practice, one usually specifies some turns for a device with routing, to
    > ensure it takes the approximate direction you desire.
    >
    > If you do without routing on the GPS, the maps still work and display on the
    > screen, but the navigation route is show as straight lines between any fixed
    > waypoints along the route.
    >

    > When I last contacted Garmin UK, I was informed that if I purchased City
    > Select V6 (what various web retailers were offering for sale), they would
    > upgrade to V7 free of charge. You may wish to check this with them before
    > spending.

    Thanks Nigel.