Difference between mens and womens bikes?

I found the bike I like. It's the Raleigh Tundra. The mens version is
too large for me at 18". Can I just buy the womens one (17")? does it
make a difference?

<[email protected]> >
> I found the bike I like. It's the Raleigh Tundra. The mens version is
> too large for me at 18". Can I just buy the womens one (17")? does it
> make a difference?

You can buy any bike you like. Do not worry about what other people think.
It's all about how you like it, how it fits you and if you're comfortable.
Nobody is going to laugh at anything you get, so don't worry about it.
That's one of the benefits of being a grown-up: you don't have to please the
crowd. Just get something that fits your body.

jPat in TX

On 5 Apr 2006 19:41:20 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I found the bike I like. It's the Raleigh Tundra. The mens version is
>too large for me at 18". Can I just buy the womens one (17")? does it
>make a difference?

For casual riding, not a bit.

They're sometimes also called a "Scottish step-through". The top tube
won't interfere with your kilt and sporran.
--
zk

> I found the bike I like. It's the Raleigh Tundra. The mens version is
> too large for me at 18". Can I just buy the womens one (17")? does it
> make a difference?

I looked at the Raleigh website and couldn't find the Tundra, but in
general, rarely would the difference in "height" of an inch be the
determining factor for whether a bike fits correctly or not. Far more
important is the distance between seat and handlebars, as well as the height
of the bars relative to the seat. It could very well be that the 18" "men's"
bike might fit better, in the ways that make a difference for comfort fun,
than the 17". Or... could be the opposite. But don't assume that a "smaller"
bike will fit you better due to the relatively-arbitrary size measurement.
That's not always the case.

Best bet would be to ride each and see what will work best for you.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

[email protected] wrote:
> I found the bike I like. It's the Raleigh Tundra. The mens version is
> too large for me at 18". Can I just buy the womens one (17")? does it
> make a difference?

Don't know anything about Raleigh, but various Trek websites talk about
the differences attributable to their WSD (womens' specific design)
bikes. You should just try to check out the various models and see what
fits you.

Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:

> I looked at the Raleigh website and couldn't find the Tundra, but in
> general, rarely would the difference in "height" of an inch be the
> determining factor for whether a bike fits correctly or not. Far more
> important is the distance between seat and handlebars, as well as the height
> of the bars relative to the seat. It could very well be that the 18" "men's"
> bike might fit better, in the ways that make a difference for comfort fun,
> than the 17". Or... could be the opposite. But don't assume that a "smaller"
> bike will fit you better due to the relatively-arbitrary size measurement.
> That's not always the case.

Once you've found the size frame that suits you, if you've selected a
"men's" bike you may want to switch to a women's saddle. Women's saddles
are made a bit wider to accomodate the difference in bone structure.
And if you continue to ride in the neighborhood where you were
accosted, you might want to add one more accessory: a cell phone. You
were assaulted once. If I were you I'd report it if it happened again.

Bill

| Americans will always do the right thing... |
| after they've exhausted all the alternatives. |
| -Winston Churchill |

On 5 Apr 2006 19:41:20 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I found the bike I like. It's the Raleigh Tundra. The mens version is
>too large for me at 18". Can I just buy the womens one (17")? does it
>make a difference?

Not really. The drop-tube frame layout is still plenty strong, and
the number of variations in frame designs that have hit the market
over the past few years has blurred the perception of the difference
in the mtb class anyway. The important thing is that the bike should
be the right size for the rider; everything else is optional. I'd bet
that if you look at the bikes down the pub, you'd find more than one
"ladies' frame" whose rider is not wont to visit the corresponding loo
prior to departure. Some of the time, the presence of that type of
frame will be because it was the bike that was ready to ride when the
thirst came up, though often it will be because that was the cheapest
bike available...and sometimes, it will have been bought because both
of the people in the household could ride it.

I doubt that there will be any comments.

BTW, I don't get any snickers for riding a roadie with a bright
shocking pink frame.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.