Difference between Selle SMP saddles?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bianchi10, Oct 28, 2009.

1. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

Hello all,

My first post here though I look forward to many nights of research here.

I am a new cyclist of only 3 months. I have a bianchi via narone and am interested in stepping up to a better saddle. There are SO many choices that I didn't really have an idea on where to begin. I have a couple questions:

1). Knowing that each rear end is like a finger print being that each one is different and will each person will have a different experience/opinion why would someone choose a saddle WITH padding vs a saddle without? such as the selle smp evolution where there is virtually no padding (if I understand correctly) and the selle smp pro where it is padded?

2). With all the different options of the selle smp what is the difference between them? I have searched and have yet to come across any info that gives me an idea of which seat is larger than the next. Can someone please fill me in perhaps make an easy to understand list of which smp is largest to smallest? (glide, pro, strike, evolution....etc)

I am 5 ft 10" 170lbs and fairly lean. my legs are in great shape which in my research have seen that if your legs are husky than certain styles of the smp can rub against the inside of your thighs. A san marco "ponza" came on my bike and the saddle doesn't feel to wide, though my side bones hurt a bit and my paraneal area gets fairly sore shortly after 5 miles or so. should I find out what the width of my stock saddle is and then try to measure up the same width in the smp?

Lastly when buying a saddle do you get what you pay for or is the more expensive not always the best?

Thank you in advance for any kind of help! :)

Tags:

2. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

also in my resent research I also came across a"strike pro" smp saddle. How can it be a strike and a pro?

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Do you have a LBS that participates in the SMP test saddle program? That is ideal, if yer in the People's Republic of Boulder, we do that. The Strike Pro is the one we sell the most. Others are narrower, like the Glider. But ya gotta try to make sure you are happy. No, the most expensive saddle isn't always the best.

email Albabici to see if there is a test ride shop around you.

Albabici - US distributor and agent for Selle SMP Saddles

4. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

thank you peter, that website was EXACTLY what I have been loooking for for information on each saddle! much appreciated. I emailed them and I will do some research myself to see if any of my bike shops take part. I'm in oregon where we have the largest amount of cyclist than any state (fact) so I would think there would be something close by.