Difference between small, medium, large Campy Derailleurs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Iand, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Iand

    Iand Guest

    All,

    I was wondering... what exactly is the difference between
    the 3 sized campy derailleurs outside of shifting capacity ?
    I mean besides the obvious size of the cage, what is the
    real mechanical difference between all three ? Is it the
    size of the derailleur body ? The amount of travel ?

    Just curious...

    Ian in SanDiego

    Tags:

  2. Iand-<< I was wondering... what exactly is the difference
    between the 3 sized campy derailleurs outside of shifting
    capacity ? I mean besides the obvious size of the cage, what
    is the real mechanical difference between all three ? Is it
    the size of the derailleur body ? The amount of travel ?
    >><BR><BR>

    There is no mechanical difference between the three. No
    difference in body or dimansions. The longer cage, like any
    longer cage, is just a place to put the extra chain needed
    so you may safely go to the big/big combo w/o breaking the
    chain while still have the chain be tight enough for non
    droopy small-small combos.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 14 Mar 2004 22:30:43 -0800, [email protected] (IanD) wrote:

    >I was wondering... what exactly is the difference between
    >the 3 sized campy derailleurs outside of shifting capacity
    >? I mean besides the obvious size of the cage, what is the
    >real mechanical difference between all three ? Is it the
    >size of the derailleur body ? The amount of travel ?

    Just the length of the cage. In 2004, the Medium and Long
    Cage Record models use a different type of carbon fiber
    construction than the standard cage that is supposed to
    be stronger.

  4. Smmb

    Smmb Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message de :
    news:[email protected]...
    > Iand-<< I was wondering... what exactly is the difference
    > between the 3
    sized
    > campy derailleurs outside of shifting capacity ? I mean
    > besides the obvious size of the cage, what is the real
    > mechanical difference between all three ? Is it the size
    > of the derailleur body ? The amount of travel ? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > There is no mechanical difference between the three. No
    > difference in body
    or
    > dimansions. The longer cage, like any longer cage, is just
    > a place to put
    the
    > extra chain needed so you may safely go to the big/big
    > combo w/o breaking
    the
    > chain while still have the chain be tight enough for
    > non droopy
    small-small
    > combos.
    >

    > Peter Chisholm

    If you were buying new, for a 13x29 and 53x39 setup, would
    you recommend any one of these in particular ?
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy Paris FR

  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I am in the process of converting from Racing Triple to an
    FSA Compact, 50-34. I have a set of 23-11 cogs AND a set
    of 26-13 cogs. Would I be just as well off staying with
    the long cage of the RT, or would a medium (or short) be
    less sloppy?

    Thanks!

    > Iand-<< I was wondering... what exactly is the difference
    > between the 3 sized campy derailleurs outside of shifting
    > capacity ? I mean besides the obvious size of the cage,
    > what is the real mechanical difference between all three ?
    > Is it the size of the derailleur body ? The amount of
    > travel ? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > There is no mechanical difference between the three. No
    > difference in body or dimansions. The longer cage, like
    > any longer cage, is just a place to put the extra chain
    > needed so you may safely go to the big/big combo w/o
    > breaking the chain while still have the chain be tight
    > enough for non droopy small-small combos.

  6. On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:14:52 +0100, "SMMB"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you were buying new, for a 13x29 and 53x39 setup, would
    >you recommend any one of these in particular ?

    My LBS offered the Chorus medium cage (just about 74mm
    pulley spacing) for that gearing. It's worked well, but I
    wonder if the shorter variety might work, if one stayed out
    of big/big (or small/small) combos? As I understand the long
    cage is intended to be used for triples.

    Phil

  7. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 16 Mar 2004 14:26:36 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >Medium cage...also for 50/34 and 13-29...If you went to a
    >smaller cogset, say a 12-25, the medium cage would work
    >also as does the short cage for 13-29 and
    >53/39 but chain length is a little easier to figure out.

    The newer standard cage rear derailleurs are a bit longer
    than the older ones. I used 50/34 and 13/29 this weekend
    with a Record standard rear derailleur. Caryl's bike had a
    53/39 and 13/30 and it shifted with a regular Mirage
    derailleur. The tandem uses 48/34 and
    12/34 with a medium cage. Should I go to a 50t, it would
    need the longer cage model.

    You are correct about sizing the chain. Lately, I've been
    using an old chain and finding the optimum length. I push
    out and put in links with a chain tool. When the size is
    perfect, I cut the new chain. The chain has to be able to do
    the big/big and not drag the bottom of the rear derailleur
    with the small small.

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:34:36 GMT, richard <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am in the process of converting from Racing Triple to an
    >FSA Compact, 50-34. I have a set of 23-11 cogs AND a set
    >of 26-13 cogs. Would I be just as well off staying with
    >the long cage of the RT, or would a medium (or short) be
    >less sloppy?

    I think that the term sloppy for the longer cage is
    overrated. The distance of the top pulley to the cog is the
    same in all models. Longer cages bend easier when you crash.

    Aesthetically, I like short cage derailleurs.