Difference between triathlon and road calipers?

LouisN

Feb 9, 2007
I have bought tektro rx20g brake calipers. I discovered they were triathlon brakes, or TT. Does that mean they are different than road brakes? Are they fitting 650 c wheels instead of 700 ? If not what's the difference?....
Thanks ,
LouisN

Where? http://www.tektro.com/02products/index.php

If there is a table saying TT/Tri, it probably means they work better with Tektro TT/Tri Levers, the type used on a TT/Tri base bar.

I use the same callipers on a 700 or 650 wheel, it all depends on the drop from the mounting bolt to the centre of the rim.

I am currently looking at carbon brake options and recently found a pair from Oval Concepts which are designed for time trail/triathlon. When I enquired about their suitability for road cycling the company indicated that they did not recommend that for that use as they were only designed to modulate speed (i.e. slowing down for a corner or turnaround) rather than the more rigorous demands of road cycling. I know Tektro make a similar pair of brakes for time trials - quite possible have the same design considerations making them unsuitable for road cycling